Any Gibson heads with knowledge?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I've just plunked for an undated ES-125 I got at a good price. Two P90s and regular tailpiece. What should I be looking out for?

qs6831s3lreg4hsefnw9.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excessively tall bridge height. That is a sign of the top collapsing. That is the only specific issue I've heard about with these.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Default nailed it. I owned a’58 125 for years, it was built like a tank. No other problems with this model I’ve heard of.
I think you’ll like it a lot.
Looking forward to a full review whrn you get it.

Bernie

Reaction score
Looks like a very nice guitar...It is the first I see with a cutaway. Beautiful !
You are a lucky man.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Very cool. Is this the thick (~3.5") or thin (~2.5") body version?

Edit: Walter beat me to it. :)

-Dave-

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Thinline. Incorrectly listed. I will ask for a pick of the action. Sinking is obviously a problem with all archtops. I had that with an SFIII which meant it was never any fun to play.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tops sinking is something you tend to see on early 50's to about 56-ish Gibsons, the tops were very thin between those years, and I've seen quite a few that were losing their arch. This one looks like 60's (right?), tops tend to be thicker on those and don't usually develop problems.

You'd want to check if the neck is still at the right angle, still firmly attachted to the body. That's a problem with quite a few thinline hollowbodies - short heel, less secure neck.