Got my new Lutehole feedback suppressor but...

bdeclee

Reaction score
My husband is worried about the neoprene foam gasket on my new Lutehole that comes into contact with the nitro finish on my F65-CE. Can anyone weigh in on this?

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, Barb, but I've used Neotech neoprene straps for 25 years and they've stayed on the guitars, been folded up in the cases with them, etc., and I've never had a problem...you could contact the maker with your concerns and see what comes back.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My husband is worried about the neoprene foam gasket on my new Lutehole that comes into contact with the nitro finish on my F65-CE. Can anyone weigh in on this?

For the short period of time that it's in contact during performing, should be ok.
I wouldn't leave it in there long term (more than a couple of days) at a time, though.
The solvents which made the NCL liquid enough to spray and air-dry continue to evaporate from the NCL as it ages, and also attack neoprene and break it down to a gummy mess.
It's called "outgassing" and in the case of an F65ce being at last 17 years old by now, the concentrations are much reduced and the danger is probably pretty low now.
Still, prolonged contact is probably best avoided.

bdeclee

Reaction score
For the short period of time that it's in contact during performing, should be ok.
I wouldn't leave it in there long term (more than a couple of days) at a time, though.
The solvents which made the NCL liquid enough to spray and air-dry continue to evaporate from the NCL as it ages, and also attack neoprene and break it down to a gummy mess.
It's called "outgassing" and in the case of an F65ce being at last 17 years old by now, the concentrations are much reduced and the danger is probably pretty low now.
Still, prolonged contact is probably best avoided.

Yeah...the problem is getting the feedback buster *into* the sound hole. I have to slack all the strings in order to do it. It’s easy to remove, but difficult to install. However, if there’s any danger that it’s going to be damage to the finish, I’m just gonna have to live with that. Thanks for the info!

bdeclee

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, Barb, but I've used Neotech neoprene straps for 25 years and they've stayed on the guitars, been folded up in the cases with them, etc., and I've never had a problem...you could contact the maker with your concerns and see what comes back.

Wow, really? And your guitars are nitro finished and not poly? That surprises me, but good for you! I did email the company, thanks.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I had a 1967 F-212 that wore the strap for many years...not sure what the finish on the FS4612CE is...have an S4CE from the early 90's that's still wearing one of the straps...you'd have to ask Hans about finishes...or, as you say, maybe I'm just lucky.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had a 1967 F-212 that wore the strap for many years...not sure what the finish on the FS4612CE is...have an S4CE from the early 90's that's still wearing one of the straps...you'd have to ask Hans about finishes...or, as you say, maybe I'm just lucky.

Would only suspect the FS4612ce of potentially being poly, as he said once that another FS model was actually poly (forget which one but it stuck because it was such a shock to me).
Other potential reasons for your "luck" are that there are "varieties" of neoprene but as a generality it is known for being a relatively chemiically stable rubber, and that the solvent gases from your NCL guitars (especially the '67) were already well-depleted when the straps were first exposed to 'em.
So I'm guessing extra-stable neoprene vs extra weak NCL probably worked in your favor.
In any case I'm still sure short-term exposures should be safe, especially in light of your experience.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If it's difficult to install perhaps you could cover the neoprene contact areas with some type of barrier like felt or anything thin and non reactive to NCL . 😊

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I used a lutehole suppressor in my DD6. I left it in the soundhole almost all the time since it was a bit difficult to get it in and out and it lets the sound of the guitar come through better than the rubber feedback busters do. I stopped using it when the foam part was starting to separate from the wooden part. That was my fault because I did "shape" the foam a bit to make it fit better.

Didn't seem to do any harm to the guitar, though.

bdeclee

Reaction score
Thanks for all the...ahem...feedback, folks. I think my guitar will be fine if I keep the cover in.