Ngd x2

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, if this snow doesn't end soon I'll have to declare Chapter 11. Can't hardly get out the door and even if I could everything's shut down anyway. So, my recreation is looking at guitars online, dreaming about what I'd like to buy/own and then buying too many of them that I really can't afford anyway. BUT, I do have a plan. Many will be sold once the weather breaks. Most will be non Guilds but there will be a few nice Guilds as well.

Anyway, because I'm basically incompetent at most all things in life, pics are out of the question but Eric AKA Mavuser may be along to post a couple for me.

I've mentioned before I'm not much into electric gear and that's still true but I love the looks and truly love the sound when in the hands of somebody who knows what they're doing. I find myself picking up a few nice pieces along the way. I did buy that mid 70's M 75 CS on Ebay we discussed a while back, No pics yet but may share some soon. I also got a very cool '57 X-175. That will be on its way to Tom Jacobs soon for him to get "really good" for me.

Just this last couple weeks I did pick up a 1981 Starfire 4. I bought it from Chicago Music on Reverb. It's actually a SF4 Walnut Special. The pics likely won't do it justice but it is a color I adore. That beautiful Walnut look. It's in superb condition with its OHSC. Still trying to figure it out. It has that mini switch and I'm not sure if it's a coil tap or phase switch and to be honest am not real sure how to figure that out.

The 2nd I got on Ebay. It's the Studio 402 SB we recently talked about here on this forum. Hans thinks it's likely a 69 or 70 build. It's really clean and in excellent cosmetic condition. One pup isn't working but I'll mess around with that and if I can't figure it out, get it to my local Luthier or maybe again down to Tom Jacobs. As many of you know his and his entire teams work is just superb. It came in its OHSC. It's pretty beat up but just looks so cool. Missing the handle and has 1 or 2 broken latches. Shapewise it fits perfectly in my SF 4 case but is a bit deeper and I wouldn't want to have to force the top down.

I also picked up a few acoustic gems I'll likely be sharing with ya'll in the next few weeks. One I'd never heard of before and is a bit unusual. That's it for now from snowy and icy Barton City, Michigan

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to some pictures! The '57 X-175 sounds awesome!

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... It has that mini switch and I'm not sure if it's a coil tap or phase switch and to be honest am not real sure how to figure that out....

Hello

All volumes and tones up to full - pickup-selector in one or other pickup only - not both - if the sound clearly changes, when you flip that little switch - then it is coil tap.
Naturally it will affect the "Both"-position, too.

If it only does its magic in PU-selector-middle-position - then it is phase switch.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
sorry im having some issues w my imageshack account until further notice. the 81 SF-4 is beautiful walnut. looks like a phase switch/factory S-100 HB-1 wired. also no pickguard, no evidence of there ever being one (no holes etc)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to email me a couple I'll host 'em for you.

gad at gad dot net

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
IMG_2030_1600.jpg

IMG_2031_1600.jpg

IMG_2032_1600.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Assuming those are stock HB1s, the mini-toggle is very likely a phase switch.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Is that SF-4 a factory "no pickguard" guitar? Might be the first time I've seen that.

Also interesting that it's walnut finish over maple, rather than mahogany, though I have seen that before.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the walnut look. As pretty as they are, there are lots of maple tops in clear trim. I lean toward the off the beaten path stuff, sometimes. NOT 80s hair band path, though !

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is that SF-4 a factory "no pickguard" guitar? Might be the first time I've seen that.

Also interesting that it's walnut finish over maple, rather than mahogany, though I have seen that before.

Mine also has no guard with no sign of ever having had one:

Guild-1981-Starfire4-Top.jpg