12 string love

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can talk about your 6 string too.

Ok 12 string love , my love ..... Story time get your popcorn ready .

Ok so my first 12 string was a Tacamine dome where around 1976-78 not up on those years so I don't know if it was all solid wood but I bought it so that means I was cheap so it could be a 385 but I'm really not sure .

That was my first go with a 12 string and it was glorious , come to think about it I had to sell it soon after because I was moving to Florida so the year should be more like 1980 . I can't remember if I bought new or used .

I remember jamming on it yeah I was smoking the weed but hey it was the Mexican stuff happy! happy! joy! joy !

All I knew was I really liked that 12 . Moving forward to the sunshine state , now gosh darn it those Nero make you mind sharp pills must be working because I had a guitar when I got to Florida but I can't remember what it was ..... Ok kids don't smoke pot what till your older . ..

The next 12 string I bought maybe a year later ,yeah I got that about right I think . Anyway it was a Glen Camball Ovation if knew now what I didn't know then I would of keep the dang thing but do you know what's like when your high jamming on a Ovation and the stupid thing keeps slipping off your dang lap !? Huh do ya?

I do have to say it was awesome sounding as well . So now it goes back to the store I bought from . I most likely got ripped off in trading it back in but what did I know back then it's not like the internet was in full swing at the time .

So I end up with the Yamaha F312 that I know was laminated but back then I never new the difference matter of fact I thought that was the norm if I was asked lol

That guitar changed my life changed my music . I could not read or write music . I did have some lessons here and there mostly back in NY I blew it when the teacher gave me a book and said practice this , which was some basic single note song thing .

The book , I can't remember it but I know you guys do right ? It had that kind of bald guy on the cover I guess very well know but not to me . Why does the name Mel pop I to my head ? Stupid stupid weed !

Anyway it ticked me off paying some guy that tells me to play this note thingy , man ! I can do that on my own ! Where's the good stuff show me how to play something cool !!!

Well off on my own I went lol , ok back to the Yamaha . I only played/jammed to albums or tapes on the electric which I played mostly at the time Alex lifeson actually was my teacher back then, man could I bond with his playing and solos. I told myself he was my long lost brother because who else could play things that moved me so much lol

On the Acoustic side of things I only played whatever I could put together . One visit back in NY to the music store some guy was playing a acoustic and playing something I never heard before " open tuning " Wow how cool !

In FLA I started applying that to my 12 string playing from that point though it took years , yeah I'm slow dang pot ! I actually started writing music , more or less. Lol I really liked the stuff I was producing.

Now after all those years I have a special place in my heart for 12 strings .

Changing things up though still in the same realm or bubble I'm here talking a we bit about the Guild F212xlce .

I guess that was the point of the title but stupid po..... Ah never mind anyway this F212xlce is a NH model and I've had for a few years now and I bought it from .... You um , gosh what's your name again ? Ugh stupid beer ! Ahh he might come forward.

Over the past two years or so I really haven't played her much which got me thinking of some the comments made of 12 strings ending up in a closet . I was and still am on a six string binge but I now have her out and have a good bit if playing on her .

Everytime I pick her up and start playing I'm a little more impressed with her tone , gosh it is one awesome 12 and keeps getting better, her sustain ,bass , treble , overtones and balance just are shining .

No doubt the best 12 I've ever had and or played . Now this took those few years I've had her to realize just what she's about , maybe I just didn't listen back then . I have over the years since here grown expandentually in my knowledge of the build and tone of acoustic guitars which most likely lead to me realizing/acknowledging what the F212 had under the hood .

I think I'd about freak if a get a 512 lol

So whether its a 12 string or 6 though I would like here about some 12's what's your story of how if at all over time you realized how much you liked the tone your guitar ?

Did you realize it right off the bat or did it take time to devolop ? What is it about that guitar that made the bond possible and how does it move you when you play it ?

Oh boy just realized this might not belong here lol please move it if so I'd lose everything I just wrote (Beer) ..... Ahhhh that's what you want well I refuse lmao

Peace 😊

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Quite a story, Ray! It refreshed my 'Ray-speak' skills!

BTW, you jogged my memory with the line about the Ovation sliding off your lap, I remember the same thing with an Ovation I used to play at a shop near me. Drove me crazy!

walrus

Grassdog

Reaction score
Ridiculous as it sounds, the first acoustic I ever had was a 12 string Yamaha (probably around '70) and thinking back now I can't for the life of me understand how I learned to play it. The set-up was probably horrible and I'm sure it was ages between string changes. I probably found a couple chord books that helped but it must have been arduous effort for a 10 year old kid trying to make it sound good. Of course, back then as kids we didn't have such short attention spans or have so many other things to waste our time on. It was joyous work to learn the rock and folk songs that sounded good on a 12 string - think the Byrds and Simon & Garfunkel. Later in life, I'm pretty sure it was Tom Petty's D-25M-12 (or D212) that he played on Into The Great Wide Open on SNL that really got me interested in Guilds. Right now, I'm having some extensive work done on a '78 F-212XL and really looking forward to getting her back. The last thing I need is another 12 string but I'm keeping an eye out there for a NH F-412. So yeah Ray I understand completely where you're coming from on the love for 12 strings.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous as it sounds, the first acoustic I ever had was a 12 string Yamaha (probably around '70) and thinking back now I can't for the life of me understand how I learned to play it. The set-up was probably horrible and I'm sure it was ages between string changes. I probably found a couple chord books that helped but it must have been arduous effort for a 10 year old kid trying to make it sound good. Of course, back then as kids we didn't have such short attention spans or have so many other things to waste our time on. It was joyous work to learn the rock and folk songs that sounded good on a 12 string - think the Byrds and Simon & Garfunkel. Later in life, I'm pretty sure it was Tom Petty's D-25M-12 (or D212) that he played on Into The Great Wide Open on SNL that really got me interested in Guilds. Right now, I'm having some extensive work done on a '78 F-212XL and really looking forward to getting her back. The last thing I need is another 12 string but I'm keeping an eye out there for a NH F-412. So yeah Ray I understand completely where you're coming from on the love for 12 strings.

Cool , looking forward to 212's return .is it a 78 or the 71 thats in your Signature ?
I'm not interested in Maple they never called to me for some reason .

One thing I have been thinking about is getting my hands on some of those older models , everyone needs at least one classic right ? Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Quite a story, Ray! It refreshed my 'Ray-speak' skills!

BTW, you jogged my memory with the line about the Ovation sliding off your lap, I remember the same thing with an Ovation I used to play at a shop near me. Drove me crazy!

walrus

Thanks lol maybe it's time you bought another ovation to relive those memories haha 😊

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It occurred to me that if the Borg ever did try to assimilate Ray they'd probably actually lose.
(Which is a good thing)
:smile:

Aaaaaannnnnd CUT !

beecee

Reaction score
Big fan of 12's since I was 19-20 when I bought my still owned Ibanez. I think I paid around $200 used, probably got hosed. I was just starting out as a temp in a Teamster's represented beverage distribution business. Making over $300 a week and still living at home.

It gets a lot more play time than the others since it doesn't need to be in a case (laminated). Just a good looking nice sounding guitar.

I bought it because it was very easy to barre, surprisingly. And I loved the sound of it. Still do to this day. Chimey but also full bodied...like me...hard to describe but whenever I pick it up and strum a G with a bit of bite it just makes me smile.

The Guild 12's are better all around guitars. They play better, sound better and with the exception of the F-212, look better. But as time goes on and I get older I can see myself selling off the high dollar guitars. I'd be happy for the rest of my life strumming my 2 guitars I've had for over 40 years to this point.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Ok so my first 12 string....

Man, my 12-string story covers about 50 years.

My first was a Candelas, a maker out of L.A. I don't even remember how I came to have it. My mom may have picked it up at a yard sale. I open-tuned it to all E's and B's and played it on occasion, when not on keys, with BaKaDa, a sort of crazy acid-experimental group back in the early 70s. Crazy times! That guitar eventually imploded....

Then a decades-long hiatus from guitars when I focused more on keys....

<To be continued>

Mark WW

Reaction score
I gave up 6 strings at age 20 something. I gigged solo on a Yammie Gakki Red Label 12 for 3 years. Of course I grew up with Folk Music and Hootenannies and such but music changed so fast in the 60's. If you blinked a new Genre had come and gone. Can't imagine not having at least 2 12 strings. Right now I have 2 electric and 2 Guild Acoustics. Four is a good number.

Grassdog

Reaction score
Cool , looking forward to 212's return .is it a 78 or the 71 thats in your Signature ?
I'm not interested in Maple they never called to me for some reason .

One thing I have been thinking about is getting my hands on some of those older models , everyone needs at least one classic right ? Lol

The '78 F-212XL is a recent acquisition - it's in a lot better condition than my '71 which suffers from a pretty sloppy neck reset done by the guy who sold it to me. The '71 was my first Guild 12 string and I didn't really know what I was doing. Love the tone from these monsters (212XL's) but always wanted one in better shape. I didn't pay much for the '78, but I'll end up putting several hundred into repairs. No neck reset (thankfully) but I am getting a new bridge made, new bone nut and compensated saddle, new frets, and I gave my luthier a lot of leeway to do whatever else he thinks is necessary. Keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
This is me 41 years ago with my first 12-string.

bzgm3R5l.jpg

It was a Gonzalez brand , made in Italy by the Eko factory.

I sold it and went in search of a warmer, lusher sounding 12-string.

Wa3lG0Fl.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mel Bay. I had his book too.

I had a F212XL Guild from 1973 which was a monster. too many strings for me.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mel Bay. I had his book too.

I had a F212XL Guild from 1973 which was a monster. too many strings for me.

Mel Bay cool lol I'm lucky I remembered Mel.

I like a few more strings lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is me 41 years ago with my first 12-string.

bzgm3R5l.jpg

It was a Gonzalez brand , made in Italy by the Eko factory.

I sold it and went in search of a warmer, lusher sounding 12-string.

Wa3lG0Fl.jpg

Ooooooo lots of strings ! 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The '78 F-212XL is a recent acquisition - it's in a lot better condition than my '71 which suffers from a pretty sloppy neck reset done by the guy who sold it to me. The '71 was my first Guild 12 string and I didn't really know what I was doing. Love the tone from these monsters (212XL's) but always wanted one in better shape. I didn't pay much for the '78, but I'll end up putting several hundred into repairs. No neck reset (thankfully) but I am getting a new bridge made, new bone nut and compensated saddle, new frets, and I gave my luthier a lot of leeway to do whatever else he thinks is necessary. Keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Sounds like fair amount to pay and well worth it if it rocks :)

Man some of you folks need to be closer to me in NC so I can play some of these older guitars lol starting to make me want one .

Last edited:

6L6

Reaction score
I've always loved the sound of 12 strings and have owned many over the years, both electric and acoustic.

Just played my beloved '71 Guild F-312NT last night at Open Mic and it killed. EVERYONE loves the sound of a good 12 string!!!

I was SO fortunate to find my F-312NT on the used guitar wall at a GC. They had no idea what they had and sold it to me for pennies on the dollar about 6 years ago. My best guitar buy ever!

Life without a good 12 string is not worth living.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just played my beloved '71 Guild F-312NT last night at Open Mic and it killed. EVERYONE loves the sound of a good 12 string!!!
I was SO fortunate to find my F-312NT on the used guitar wall at a GC. They had no idea what they had and sold it to me for pennies on the dollar about 6 years ago. My best guitar buy ever!

Guild's best 12 string. Sweet!