12 string love

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So you're saying the fix is to wear sticky pants?

Well, that is one solution.

I think the difference between those that had no problem and those that did must be the angle you have the guitar rocked back on your leg. If the face it not leaning toward you a lot, then the front edge will be gripping the pants and your leg , while if you rock it back, then there is NO edge to grip on your leg. I guess I must keep mine close and not rock it back.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, that is one solution.

I think the difference between those that had no problem and those that did must be the angle you have the guitar rocked back on your leg. If the face it not leaning toward you a lot, then the front edge will be gripping the pants and your leg , while if you rock it back, then there is NO edge to grip on your leg. I guess I must keep mine close and not rock it back.

I have a fat belly and T-Rex arms .

c70man

Reaction score
I was hooked the first time I picked one up. Probably because of the Beatles, the Byrds, and Leo Kottke. In order I've owned: Penco, Tak, Hohner, Gibson, Martin, Breedlove, and of course a half a dozen Guilds spread throughout my life. My current 12er is a "66 Guild 212....well played but solid as a rock with that iconic sound. Play it every day.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My current 12er is a "66 Guild 212....well played but solid as a rock with that iconic sound. Play it every day.

Now that's Cool ! Where's a pic ? 😁

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
My 12 string story...

My first was a (probably) Stella/Harmony H913. I bought it for $50 from a high school classmate around 1971 or so. It was sold eventually.
#2 1974 Guild G212. Bought used around '82. I loved that one and played it for years. My nephew now owns it and it is still in reasonably good condition
#3 and #4 Martin J12-15 and '69 Guild F312. These were bought within months of each other and I owned them pretty much at the same time. Though I sold the Martin to a friend, then bought it back about a year later. I sold these 2 to buy...
#5 Martin Custom 0000 with 28 style appointments and short scale. Amazon Rosewood/Italian spruce top. Wonderful guitar. It was a 2011 which I bought in March 2012. I then sold it to buy...
#6 My current 12 string. 1991 (or 92) Guild JF65-12. This is simply my 12 string Holy Grail!!

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Found my way here because of a Westerly D4-12 with pickguard issues. I don't remember much about any other 12's before that one...

It's gone now, one too many guitars... Still have a longtime mint '66 Stella Sunburst with case in same condition, actually a very good sounding guitar once in tune... Also have a '82 or so Hondo 760/12, very decent Strat copy with actual 80's Strat pickups in it, that one is strung like a Ricky, bass/octave instead of the common reverse, so it sounds like a Rick, and finally a labor of love guitar me and the luthier next door redid a couple years ago with top damage, an 80's vintage Slope Dread Washburn Japan with Gold baby Grovers and a special mojo.

Now looking for the next one, an F something...

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 12 string story...

My first was a (probably) Stella/Harmony H913. I bought it for $50 from a high school classmate around 1971 or so. It was sold eventually.
#2 1974 Guild G212. Bought used around '82. I loved that one and played it for years. My nephew now owns it and it is still in reasonably good condition
#3 and #4 Martin J12-15 and '69 Guild F312. These were bought within months of each other and I owned them pretty much at the same time. Though I sold the Martin to a friend, then bought it back about a year later. I sold these 2 to buy...
#5 Martin Custom 0000 with 28 style appointments and short scale. Amazon Rosewood/Italian spruce top. Wonderful guitar. It was a 2011 which I bought in March 2012. I then sold it to buy...
#6 My current 12 string. 1991 (or 92) Guild JF65-12. This is simply my 12 string Holy Grail!!
Cool , that Matrin is interesting :)

Found my way here because of a Westerly D4-12 with pickguard issues. I don't remember much about any other 12's before that one...

It's gone now, one too many guitars... Still have a longtime mint '66 Stella Sunburst with case in same condition, actually a very good sounding guitar once in tune... Also have a '82 or so Hondo 760/12, very decent Strat copy with actual 80's Strat pickups in it, that one is strung like a Ricky, bass/octave instead of the common reverse, so it sounds like a Rick, and finally a labor of love guitar me and the uthier next door redid a couple years ago, an 80's vintage Slope Dread Washburn Japan with Gold baby Grovers and a special mojo.

Now looking for the next one, an F something...

That's cool all those vintage guitars , Japan Washdurn ? That is interesting .
I've played a few Washburn and s few sounded really good but I have admit I was as schooled as I now so .....

I never read up on WB but Japanese builds if Solid interest me . 😊

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....My current 12 string. 1991 (or 92) Guild JF65-12. This is simply my 12 string Holy Grail!! ....

Doesn't get better than that! I've found that guitar "collections" tend to evolve as one becomes more knowledgeable about guitars. You're at the top of the food chain there!

highwayman

Reaction score
My 12 string history goes back to the 70s. Actually, my first steel-string after learning the guitar with a concert guitar was an Italian EKO Ranger 12 string, a guitar probably quite unknown in the US. I wanted it because I had heard Glen Campbell's 12string guitar album at the time and liked it. I also liked the EKO, although it was hard to play. A few years later I sold to a friend who still has it. I am now the owner of four 12string guitars, the two Guilds listed below plus two German makes (I am from Germany): a 1979 solid Klira Rancho with maple back& sides and spruce top and a 1995 Musima Nashville with solid spruce top and IRW b&s, both wonderful guitars.

As far as the Guilds are concerned, I am very happy with them, and in my 12string bunch, they are the best and definitely keepers. Sound-wise I am not sure which one to prefer. I have recently restrung the 312 with D'Addario 0.9 and I have to say I like them better than the 0.10 Elixir sets I had usually used for my 12ers .

What is your preference for the gauge of 12strings? I am curious to know.

Thank you, Thomas

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 12-string history is long and convoluted, starting with a cheapo-cheapo EKO in the 60s. Right now I have a Taylor 555 that's "OK" but were I to invest in another Guild it would probably be a 412. I see and play many in Fixit's shop and the 412 is (personal opinion alert!) the best to my ears. I have owned a 212, 212XLCE, JF30-12 and 512 at one point or another.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 12-string history is long and convoluted, starting with a cheapo-cheapo EKO in the 60s. Right now I have a Taylor 555 that's "OK" but were I to invest in another Guild it would probably be a 412. I see and play many in Fixit's shop and the 412 is (personal opinion alert!) the best to my ears. I have owned a 212, 212XLCE, JF30-12 and 512 at one point or another.

What is it about the 412 you like better ?

Cheab

Reaction score
I learned on a 12 string Echo and sitting with a record player moving the needle back until I got it. 18 years old and in the Navy with no money and way too much time on my hands. My room mate was a blues player and he taught me House of the rising sun in 1980. I'd play until I broke the G string then make it a 6 string until I broke another one then I'd restring it. The first time I played a Guild 12....I almost needed some alone time. I still have yet to buy a Guild 12. I don't know why but the only 12 I've owned was that cheap Echo.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What is it about the 412 you like better ?

I like the jangly sound of the maple, I guess. I also like a maple 6-string (D-30) for the same reason. Funny thing is that a JF-30 (6 or 12) doesn't do the same thing for me. I've tried to love a few of them but it just didn't take.

I know some folks don't care for the brighter tone, but I like it. Especially when recording.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like the jangly sound of the maple, I guess. I also like a maple 6-string (D-30) for the same reason. Funny thing is that a JF-30 (6 or 12) doesn't do the same thing for me. I've tried to love a few of them but it just didn't take.

I know some folks don't care for the brighter tone, but I like it. Especially when recording.

I played Neals old maple dread that toad trip way back and I have admit it had a sweet sound not over Brite but more well seasoned . I've not forgot it yet lol

I guess I will have to one give one a try again ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like the jangly sound of the maple, I guess. I also like a maple 6-string (D-30) for the same reason. Funny thing is that a JF-30 (6 or 12) doesn't do the same thing for me.
Rosewood fretboard and bridge* vs ebony on F412, perhaps?
(*Depending on construction years, I think)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rosewood fretboard and bridge* vs ebony on F412, perhaps?
(*Depending on construction years, I think)
Excellent point Al ! It's a fickle line from all that I read and aI actually prefer Ebony. Wished the F30rce had it as it would gave it a we bit more zing meaning brighter . 😊

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
does the fingerboard really have that much impact on sound?
i prefer rosewood as it is softer on finger pads vs ebony.
but i wonder how much does it really impact tone...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It came up before in one of the electric forums, and it was said it really does have an impact, but probably more noticeable in electrics than acoustics.
Still, it appears to be an accepted phenomenon, as Ray's noting.
Recently Acornhouse also mentioned he thought an ebony bridge would be overkill, too bright, in a certain acoustic configuration, so I was really thinking more about that in the question.
I always assumed its use for 'boards was for the best durability out of the traditional materials and that's why it was found primarily on the high-end Guilds: paying a little extra for a longer useful life, made available for those who understood what they were getting and why.
But it recently hit me that my own F65ce has ebony fretboard and bridge and you know I've been looking for a way to tame it down a bit, lately.
Starting to think Dave'd just love one of those.
:biggrin-new:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes , is it over whelming ? that depends . The thing is when building a acoustic or electric what over all sound does manufacture want ?

Rosewood gives the same response just as the back and side woods offering a warmer tone .

Think of ebony the same way from the acoustic side in this case Its fundamentals are clear with volume , great overtones defined bass clear highs and scoped mids .

So between fret board and bridge it adds those tendencies . Also build plays a part but like all guitars not all come out the way they planned and have to work at taming it if it's to much as Acornhouse seems to be having .😁

It came up before in one of the electric forums, and it was said it really does have an impact, but probably more noticeable in electrics than acoustics.
Still, it appears to be an accepted phenomenon, as Ray's noting.
Recently Acornhouse also mentioned he thought an ebony bridge would be overkill, too bright, in a certain acoustic configuration, so I was really thinking more about that in the question.
I always assumed its use for 'boards was for the best durability out of the traditional materials and that's why it was found primarily on the high-end Guilds: paying a little extra for a longer useful life, made available for those who understood what they were getting and why.
But it recently hit me that my own F65ce has ebony fretboard and bridge and you know I've been looking for a way to tame it down a bit, lately.
Starting to think Dave'd just love one of those.
:biggrin-new:

Eb's not to much just depends on what you want tone wise .

To tame your guitar Al try experimenting with different bridge pin material with either a full replacement or just on the high strings . Many have used that concept to tame thier guitars 😊