Guild Orpheum OM 14

bluesp90

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been quite a long time since I've been on here. I'm about to buy a used Guild Orpheum 14 fret Orchestra model. For a new acoustic to suit my needs, I have to have a pickup in it. Has anyone ever put a pickup in their Orpheum? If so, which one? Right now I'm leaning towards LR Baggs Anthem. A friend of mine has this pickup in his Martin OM and it sounds really, really nice and natural.

Thanks,
Tim

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey guys,
Been quite a long time since I've been on here. I'm about to buy a used Guild Orpheum 14 fret Orchestra model. For a new acoustic to suit my needs, I have to have a pickup in it. Has anyone ever put a pickup in their Orpheum? If so, which one? Right now I'm leaning towards LR Baggs Anthem. A friend of mine has this pickup in his Martin OM and it sounds really, really nice and natural.

Thanks,
Tim

Congratulations, the Orpheum OM 14 fret is an exceptional guitar. I don't have a pickup in mine, and won't install one, but I have an Anthem SL in my Martin 000-17SM, and to my ears it's the most natural sounding acoustic pickup I've heard to this point. Even my luthier likes it, and he never really gets excited about anything.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
K&K mini passive pup is the only way to go, IMHO. very unintrusive, nice warm tone.

bluesp90

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that one also. Yeah I know not many people put a pickup in these guitars. In fact, I remember watching a video about them where Ren Ferguson said something along the lines of you don't need a pickup or they weren't meant for pickups. I'm super excited about getting it but for me, it just isn't practical to have an acoustic without a pickup.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, I'll look into that one also. Yeah I know not many people put a pickup in these guitars. In fact, I remember watching a video about them where Ren Ferguson said something along the lines of you don't need a pickup or they weren't meant for pickups. I'm super excited about getting it but for me, it just isn't practical to have an acoustic without a pickup.

i would have no issue getting a K&K installed into an Orf. again they are super un-invasive. the passive K&K i mean, not the active one, no battery casing or holder, no battery period, a few wires and endjack...and the sensor under the soundboard.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall issues on certain Orpheum models where the internal construction and brace layout wasn't installation friendly to some popular pickups. If you are looking to install soundhole controls on whatever pickup you decide on make sure you have clearance on the internal soundhole bracing to do so. There were some Orpheum owners awhile back who had issues due to the internal soundhole bracing being raised in certain places which did not allow for the proper installation of their controls. Also make sure that the Anthem will mount without any internal interference around the bridge plate either. Would really suck to buy that pickup only to realize it won't properly fit after the fact. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

TX

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you are playing not to loud and can provide phantom power: AKG C411

Markus :smile:

mdn

Reaction score
If anyone is still interested. I have an Orph Jumbo with a dtar multisource. Installed fine and sounds great.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If anyone is still interested. I have an Orph Jumbo with a dtar multisource. Installed fine and sounds great.

I'll bet it sounds great. The Orpheum Jumbo was one of the models that would accept the soundhole controls without issues. The internal bracing pattern around the soundhole in some of the OM, 000, and Sloped Shoulder Orpheums interfered with mounting the circuit board mic and controls of the DTAR Multisource. The Orpheum Jumbo is my Favorite out of all the Orpheum series.

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nooo really ?? We would have never guessed . 

I know it is hard for you to understand sometimes Ray so let me clarify my statement for you, The Orpheum Jumbo is my Favorite out of all the Orpheum series.

Bless your heart.
:smile-new: LMAO!

Hope you are having a good night my friend.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know it is hard for you to understand sometimes Ray so let me clarify my statement for you, The Orpheum Jumbo is my Favorite out of all the Orpheum series.

Bless your heart.
:smile-new: LMAO!

Hope you are having a good night my friend.

TX

Every jumbo is your favorite ! Lol
Hugs brother . I'm just messing with the Sasquatch. Haha 😜