Vintage M20 Pick Guard

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
next time the owner of that 59 visits my luthier the new pickguard will be created.

im up that way quie a bit, Dave. looking forward to meeting and checking out the M-20. i dont believe the vintage value has dropped based on Hans’ assessment. i think if anything it stays solid or increases with Hans’ input. if restoration was done at the Guild factory then the value is there, and maybe goes up. it is starting to sound like your 57 M-20 has led a similar life to my 70 F-20. funny too they are both involved in pickguard tracing and duplication. im no Hans but have learned quite a but from him, again especially regarding my factory (Westerly) restored F-20. cant wait to see the M-20, could shed at least a touch more light on her past if i see it in the flesh, i hope.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I dont believe the vintage value has dropped based on Hans’ assessment. i think if anything it stays solid or increases with Hans’ input. if restoration was done at the Guild factory then the value is there, and maybe goes up.
I agree 100%.
Yesterday I was even on the verge of saying "print out Hans' assessment" for posterity until I realized he did have to make clear that he was making assumptions based on what he could see without actually having it in hand, and that's understandable.
So it may not carry the same weight with an "professional"* appraiser as it does with us, but perhaps he could make a more concrete statement with more photographic evidence?
I'm thinking maybe interior shots could help him be certain it was actually done at Guild, perhaps there would be a construction technique detail visible to him that would confirm or deny the initial assumption.
(and not to imply Hans isn't qualified to appraise, in fact his caveat about not actually having the instrument in hand is exactly what does make him a true professional.
I only meant somebody making an appraisal for auction or insurance purposes may not know who Hans is and why his opinion's the most well-informed around)

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Thanks! Over the weekend I'm going to pull the strings and try to get pics of the guts. It would be terrific if he could pick something out that bore more firm info.

And yes, Erlewine was indeed going to cut the circle right out of the J50 top. Yikes!

Last edited: