Remember '73?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
As part of WXPN's "50 for 50" programming, they're doing 5 hours of music from 1973 starting at noon EST.

You can stream it here - click the "listen" drop down at the top of the page. They are fundraising, so you may hear the occasional "donate now" pitch.

I guarantee one or more "I haven't heard that song in years!" moments.

Grassdog

Reaction score
'73 ah yes. One of my most vivid '73 memories was riding in my cousin's '66 (I think) GTO listening to Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and the rest of Elton's epic Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album blasting through the eight track player/speakers. And I guarantee you no seatbelts were being worn.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1 on Elton John when he was on top in the early '70's.

But my high school experience was rather forgettable, so no, '73 is not that memorable...

walrus

CA-35

Reaction score
1973...Secretariat?
Not a song but what a horse!! :applause: Joe

What a horse indeed. RIP Big Red.

And for what its worth WXPN is to radio what Secretariat was to horse racing. Simply unequaled.

1973 makes me think of Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Carole King and James Taylor.

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a horse indeed. RIP Big Red.

And for what its worth WXPN is to radio what Secretariat was to horse racing. Simply unequaled.

1973 makes me think of Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Carole King and James Taylor.

+1 as to XPN - I'm fortunate to be in their back yard.

I remember '73 as the Year of Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle were both released in '73 and thanks to particular Philly DJ (Ed Sciaky), both were in heavy rotation on FM radio around here.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
1973...Secretariat?
Not a song but what a horse!! :applause:

Joe

Saratoga was the closest track to me at the time so it was always a matter of perverse pride that Onion beat Secretariat at a local track. Whitney Handicap and after the Triple Crown. I wasn't there, though.

CA-35

Reaction score
1973...Secretariat?
Not a song but what a horse!! :applause: Joe

In 2010 Disney produced and released a movie called "Secretariat" with Diane Lane playing Penny Chenery and John Malkovich as Lucien Laurin. It is an absolutely fantastic movie I highly suggest watching it if you have the means.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yeah, I went to see the Secretariat film expecting a schmaltz-fest but it's actually pretty darn good. (Just a bit of musical schmaltz near the end as Big Red is obliterating the competition and the record books in the Belmont race.)

I saw all three '73 Triple Crown races on TV as they happened. One of my best childhood friends, my next-door neighbors' youngest daughter, was in the grip of "horse fever" and this extended to pretty much anything equine. :) I didn't really appreciate the magnitude of the Belmont race 'til some years later…it was like a baseball player hitting a 750' home run to straightaway center field, with the ball still rising as it exited the stadium. If it happens, ever, it happens once.

-Dave-

Grassdog

Reaction score
Yeah, I went to see the Secretariat film expecting a schmaltz-fest but it's actually pretty darn good. (Just a bit of musical schmaltz near the end as Big Red is obliterating the competition and the record books in the Belmont race.)

I saw all three '73 Triple Crown races on TV as they happened. One of my best childhood friends, my next-door neighbors' youngest daughter, was in the grip of "horse fever" and this extended to pretty much anything equine. :) I didn't really appreciate the magnitude of the Belmont race 'til some years later…it was like a baseball player hitting a 750' home run to straightaway center field, with the ball still rising as it exited the stadium. If it happens, ever, it happens once.

-Dave-

Yes and his main rival (Sham) was one of the fastest racehorses in history as well. In almost any other year except '73, Sham would have easily won the Triple Crown. What Secretariat did and the times that horse posted are still almost unbelievable. I read somewhere that when they performed his autopsy, they found that his heart was literally twice the size that of a normal horse.

bobouz

Reaction score
Graduated from college in '73.

It took another decade to figure out what I actually wanted to do!