Studio Headphones

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sooooo I git suckered in what the heck is wrong with me ? Al don't answer that , no wait do I see what you write lol

Anyway there's another post about headphones but since I'm not mine a thread killer I thought a new post would better . Haha

Ok so I implussed bought these headphones dang FB Ads , anyway I wanted a second set of studio headphones maybe these will sound better then mine . I report back .

But it's another opotion for ya all

https://thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My favorite:

ATH_M50x_2_sq-500x500.jpg

Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Grassdog

Reaction score
The Audio Technica's that Dave mentioned are nice monitoring headphones and I have a pair of these myself, but what are you going to using them for? True studio work or just listening? If you're going to use them for mixing, you want something neutral sounding, that's not going to color the sound one way or another so you can make accurate decisions on what to cut and what to accentuate. Otherwise your mixes will sounds great on the phones, but won't translate well when you render them to the world. Another good set are the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's. I work a lot with these and my mixes are better using the Beyerdynamic headphones than with using studio monitors. Whatever you do, think the opposite of Beats from Dr. Dre or any of the Bose. Peace Bro

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Audio Technica's that Dave mentioned are nice monitoring headphones and I have a pair of these myself, but what are you going to using them for? True studio work or just listening? If you're going to use them for mixing, you want something neutral sounding, that's not going to color the sound one way or another so you can make accurate decisions on what to cut and what to accentuate. Otherwise your mixes will sounds great on the phones, but won't translate well when you render them to the world. Another good set are the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's. I work a lot with these and my mixes are better using the Beyerdynamic headphones than with using studio monitors. Whatever you do, think the opposite of Beats from Dr. Dre or any of the Bose. Peace Bro

This is some good advice! I use headphones to get a "rough" mix but I'll polish it up on speakers.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones come in various ohms. What version do you like ?

Grassdog

Reaction score
Looks like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones come in various ohms. What version do you like ?

I have the 80 OHM model. They aren't cheap (street price around $200) but aren't the most expensive either. They last a long time. You can actually order replacement earpads for them because the pads will wear out before the cord or speakers. I just replaced the pads in mine after about 8 years.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...o-80-ohm-closed-back-studio-mixing-headphones

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
DT770s are great cans. You should only get 300ohm headphones if you're driving them with an amp.

Here's one of the many amps I've had:

_B0Z0849-Alt-700.jpg

High-imperdence headphones is a dangerous hole to go down. :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
See my post just deleted again as I tried to type in reason for my editing lol

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
For recording/mixing I have and like the Audio-Technica M70xs—they're quite neutral in response—while IMO for more general use the M50xs are bigger sounding and so are more enjoyable. But I rarely listen to music with headphones unless I'm recording or mixing.

-Dave-

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My only pair are KRK 8400 had them a while. I don't have any thing to compare them to so they just had to work lol I can't complain they sound pretty good to me . The AT'S are good to 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I copied this from my other forum , What??? i'm lazy :)

OK the headphones update for whoever is interested .
Ok got my headphones . The good I like them I think.
ok so wow they really are different then my KRK 8400 . everything seems more open and airy then seem to have a few more disciples then the KRK .
I'm still trying to understand the Midrange issue some mentioned but I'm not sure if it's the recording or the phones on some things .
I'm thinking its the recording . I'm listen to Smurfs bear tracks and man everything is clear as bell very defined and crisp .
In listening to my soundcloud music it s whole new take and on solo guitar I can here what my guitars truly sound like as I hear them .

Now I'm listening to https://soundcloud.com/refracted-memories/2000-miles-wadlow-arana-morefield its impressive I can hear everything detailed is the best way I can say it . I cant help but sing this tune awesome LOL

Now I could very well not know my *** from a hole in the ground you'll have to make up your own mind on these things.

Their comfortable and thick padded and a 1/2 inch thicker then the KRK's .

some complaints has about the head padding being wrinkled yup it is but if made it it would be the same LOL (IDGAS)
means I don't give a ....

another thing they say is they stick out to far while everything is getting thinner and heres another IDGAS lol

Other then that I think its a deal .

This sounds really good as well and he's another interment brother.

https://soundcloud.com/island-guitar/fretful

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a Sound Blaster ZXR card in my PC. The price has gone up since I bought it. I thought it had 300ohm headphone jacks. I was wrong.
With the 600 ohm headphone amplifier, you can do studio-grade monitoring as well.

Unless they updated the stuff since I got mine.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You guys are in the big league with headphones . This is a weak area for me lol . I never dove in nor have a seen much on them as far the ohms go . I figured headphone amps were only used because their system to failed to push them .

The heads I just got are low ohms if I read the specs right . I find interesting on how much better the clarity is on these compared to my KRK'S

Now its got me thinking how frequencies work again . I need to find the specs on the krk's and compare to the new ones and see if find out why the their bighter and more airy but still showing a flat response . Interesting . 😊

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think audio is an art and a science. I was almost going to get into that area of electronics, back in college, but none of the semi local colleges had electronic engineering as a major. To figure out how and why we hear what we hear is all about biology, I think.

Then again, why do some people prefer the sound of certain guitars or... shall I speak it....STRINGS is part of all that too.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think audio is an art and a science. I was almost going to get into that area of electronics, back in college, but none of the semi local colleges had electronic engineering as a major. To figure out how and why we hear what we hear is all about biology, I think.

Then again, why do some people prefer the sound of certain guitars or... shall I speak it....STRINGS is part of all that too.

I missed the train on Audio and Music production all together . I want a do over but everytime I think of a do over Adam Sandler keeps into my head it's really quite wrong . 😠

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

I love electronics, but when it comes to audio what really fascinates me is psychoacoustics. There's the sound, then there's the reproduction of sound, and then there's how we interpret sound.

I have a set of in-ear monitors (IEMs) that I carry with me everywhere. They're Etymotic ER4ps if anyone cares, and by the way they're infinitely better than Bose Quiet Comfort anything on a plane. Anyway, if you put only one in your ear, it sounds tinny and weak, but as soon as you put the other on in - BAM - full rich soundstage. That blows my mind every time.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yikes 300 + bucks worth it I'm sure after reading up on them . Mostly it say for live montior mixing . I can't find them anything specificly about studio mixing just unequalized listening .

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if you put only one in your ear, it sounds tinny and weak, but as soon as you put the other on in - BAM - full rich soundstage. That blows my mind every time.

Yes, that would blow my mind too. With speakers in a room , I could get some sound reflections and interference waves and sympathetic stuff, but, there is no real reflection with ear buds. The combination is ALL in your mind and how things vibrating in the ear excite the brain. Yes, part of that is about ALL sound, but there is no audio mixing/combining like there is in a room.