beecee

Reaction score
Here for a few days.

Any guitar stories I should not miss

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
TR Crandall at 156 Ludlow Street. Large selection of vintage acoustics and electrics.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Without a doubt Rudy's on Broome street in SoHo, if for nothing else than his personal collection of D'Angelico arch tops, which are absolutely stunning. They were originally made not far away on Kenmare Street, and there's many other cool guitars there as well. Edit: found a picture from when Bill Ashton and I were there!

5118629569_05f7bb191a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another vote for TR Crandall. Tom's one of the best restoration artists around, with a deep understanding of old guitars. He's also a deeply nice guy. And the store has become a destination for all manner of well-known pickers, so you might run into, say, Steve Earle.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rudy's at 461 Broome St. was already mentioned.
Matt Umanov Guitars at 273 Bleecker St. (UPDATE: CLOSED STORE 2017)
30th Street Guitars at 234 W 27th St.
Rivington Guitars at 73 East 4th St.
And in Brooklyn:
StreetSounds at 9206 3rd Avenue (used to have biggest selection of New Hartford Guilds in the past)
Retrofret Vintage Guitars at 87 Luquer St.
Southside Guitars at 303 Grand St.

Ralf

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rudy's at 461 Broome St. was already mentioned.
Matt Umanov Guitars at 273 Bleecker St.
30th Street Guitars at 234 W 27th St.
Rivington Guitars at 73 East 4th St.
And in Brooklyn:
StreetSounds at 9206 3rd Avenue (used to have biggest selection of New Hartford Guilds in the past)
Retrofret Vintage Guitars at 87 Luquer St.
Southside Guitars at 303 Grand St.

Ralf

Matt Umanov closed shop a couple of years ago. Tom Crandall was Matt's chief guitar repairer/restorer for years before he went out on his own.

I was at Southside a couple of weeks ago. Very small shop.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beecee, PM sent. sent 2 actually one had the wrong email.

i probably have more Guilds than all those shops put together. would sell my creammy late 1975 F-112 from Mannys w original paperwork, case,and polish cloth if u are still interested, and shipping were not invlolved. and/or many other Guilds/guitars. hit me up! no worries if not. timing would be good though, as im ready to free a few gems into the wild

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Matt Umanov closed shop a couple of years ago. Tom Crandall was Matt's chief guitar repairer/restorer for years before he went out on his own.

I was at Southside a couple of weeks ago. Very small shop.

I'll add that StreetSounds isn't really a shop, and generally Rocky only keeps hours by appointment, or at least that's the way it was last I heard.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll add that StreetSounds isn't really a shop, and generally Rocky only keeps hours by appointment, or at least that's the way it was last I heard.
Interesting. I didn't know. On Dec 4th, 2018 he had for instance posted on Facebook: "Brooklyn-bound? Come check out StreetSounds NYC great selection of Gretsch guitars. We're located at 9206 3rd Avenue in Brooklyn, NY, just 4 miles away from the original Gretsch factory. We contain one of the largest inventories of Gretsch guitars anywhere in the world! We have guitars for all experience levels and price points. Stop by and say hello!" Sounded like they are open during nomal business hours. But maybe not.
Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know. On Dec 4th, 2018 he had for instance posted on Facebook: "Brooklyn-bound? Come check out StreetSounds NYC great selection of Gretsch guitars. We're located at 9206 3rd Avenue in Brooklyn, NY, just 4 miles away from the original Gretsch factory. We contain one of the largest inventories of Gretsch guitars anywhere in the world! We have guitars for all experience levels and price points. Stop by and say hello!" Sounded like they are open during nomal business hours. But maybe not.
Ralf

maybe during holiday season!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
i probably have more Guilds than all those shops put together. would sell my creammy late 1975 F-112 from Mannys w original paperwork, case,and polish cloth if u are still interested, and shipping were not invlolved. and/or many other Guilds/guitars. hit me up! no worries if not. timing would be good though, as im ready to free a few gems into the wild

I'm in New York. What else you got (acoustics)? Feel free to PM me.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
PIZZA !!! sorry it's all I got 😁

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm in New York. What else you got (acoustics)? Feel free to PM me.

yeah i been visiting my great aunt in Rye and been meaning to reach out. one or 2 things for sure to fit your taste/collection. although of course those are the ones i want to keep the most. at least they would be in good hands (and the proper collection!). thanks for the post and i’ll definitely reach out during 2nd-3rd week in March!

beecee

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help.

Just texted Eric and am finishing a drink at Sardis...so fun.

Looks like two to che k out between now and Thursday afternon.

I'm on schedule to co.e here once a quarter so now I can plan better

beecee

Reaction score
Without a doubt Rudy's on Broome street in SoHo, if for nothing else than his personal collection of D'Angelico arch tops, which are absolutely stunning. They were originally made not far away on Kenmare Street, and there's many other cool guitars there as well. Edit: found a picture from when Bill Ashton and I were there!

5118629569_05f7bb191a_b.jpg

Do you k ow there are 2 DAngelicos on display at the Met? Yup saw them yesterday...or today.

Where am i?

jedzep

Reaction score