I'm in NYC

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny...a few days ago I was haggling with Matt over an overpriced 30's era Gibson bridge and saddle. No hint he wasn't operating out of a storefront.

Matt actually owns the building where the store is/was located, and I seem to recall that he was still accepting repair work.

But the store itself is closed.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Matt actually owns the building where the store is/was located, and I seem to recall that he was still accepting repair work. But the store itself is closed.
O.k., that is also what he wrote on his website: "While we have closed the retail side of the store, our "Best in New York" guitar restoration and repair department (and I can say that with great confidence) remains quite open, by appointment, serving New Yorkers and musicians from all over the world in the same location that the store had been in for the last thirty-five years. You're welcome to email info@umanovguitars.com to arrange for a day and time (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm) to bring your treasured instrument in for anything from bringing the Martin that's been in your family for over a hundred years back to life, to straight-ahead Strat or Les Paul setups, and everything in between. We'll take care of you in the same that way we always have, with uncompromising professional attention, since the 1960s."
Ralf

Curlington

Reaction score
Aggg, Matt Umanov storefront no more!!?? Last time I was there, John Sebastian happened to be there.

Bought my first real guitar at Manny's when I was 15. Saw my first hooker on that trip too. Me and three other long haired, naive suburban kids on a huge adventure to the City.

Damn Internet! Sucking all the fun and life and sanity out of the world (forums like LTG excluded, of course).

Bring back the old Times Square. More thrills, and more dangerous, than a video game or some dern facebook nonsense.

Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder what happened to all those D'Angelicos and other rare guitars that Stan Jay had in the upstairs room at Mandolin Brother's on Staten Island? He took us around and showed us all these INCREDIBLE guitars because we were from out of town. Super nice guy. Too bad that place is gone.....

[J.K.]

Reaction score
~psst~
Hit me up if you see a nice ol' M-20 while browsing.
I'll be back in NY soon, and I probably won't have the free time to do much scouting.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
To clarify, when I say "saw," I mean I visually saw her on the street, nothing more. Ha ha. (I would have been too intimidated to do anything else).

craigslist-from-now-on-all-hookers-require-a-valid-credit-card.jpg

What made you think she was a hooker?

beecee

Reaction score
Well didn't work out like u hoped. Dragging wife an 14 yr old daughter around

They had plans to do their own thing Tues night GB th and a good part of this afternoon but didn't happen.

Fu my, they were at a play and I was across the street at Sardis and never even made it to the Guitar Center next door.

I did enjoy talking up an 80's couple at the upstairs lounge. Bartender has been there over 50 years. Lots of stories

beecee

Reaction score
In their 80's. Married for over 55 years

Cute people. They were in a corner table and the waiter did not notice them for 5-10 minutes. They were getting a bit exasperated. I went over to their table and asked them if they would like me to grab a waiter.

I watched them out of the corner of my eye, she had a Tom Collins, he a Manhattan up and they shared 2 appetizers.

Both very animated and obviously good lifelong friends.

I moved to the bar and they came over to thank me and we ended up chatting.. big theater buffs.

cutrofiano

Reaction score
craigslist-from-now-on-all-hookers-require-a-valid-credit-card.jpg

What made you think she was a hooker?
Reminds me of a little story that happened some years ago when i was visiting San Francisco:
A friend and me were on our way to Yosemite in a rented car and had lost our way somewhere in the suburbs, so we asked the next lady we happened to see on the sidewalk.
After she had started explaining she suddenly stopped and said with anger: "Oh, c'mon, you're cops!!"
There was no way to convince her, we were not - though surely speaking with our German accent :)

Moritz

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a little story that happened some years ago when i was visiting San Francisco:
A friend and me were on our way to Yosemite in a rented car and had lost our way somewhere in the suburbs, so we asked the next lady we happened to see on the sidewalk.
After she had started explaining she suddenly stopped and said with anger: "Oh, c'mon, you're cops!!"
There was no way to convince her, we were not - though surely speaking with our German accent :)

Moritz
LOL!!
A similar thing happened to me on my one and only trip to Las Vegas.
She approached my car at a light and asked me for a lift.
In my naivete I said "Sure", since I thought a cute local girl would be a great guide.
I finally put 2 and 2 together when she ditched me in the gaming room of a hotel.
:glee: