replacing the Gibson PUs on my Westerly X-150D

spoox

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The saga so far: My first electric guitar I got in '64, a Kay Twin-Thin, one day turned into a '63 Polara, thanks to my dad. This was my main guitar until I bought a Supro Martinique in '72 from John Dopyera. By that point I was mainly into old Nationals and Dobro resonators...until I bought the Westerly X-150D about 6 years ago--which affected my mind severely--I'm afraid to count the number of acoustic and electric Guilds I've acquired since. I'm basically a single coil fan, but I thought that the fact that the previous owner had replaced the Guild pick ups with Gibsons (and added a Bigsby, not a Guildsby) was O.K. at the time. But after getting my latest Guild last May--an almost mint '67 Starfire XII--I realize now that I need something on this guitar that looks right and sounds right. The Gibson pick ups fit loosely , so I'm guessing it originally had something like the older HB-1 or Duncan pick ups, from what I've gathered looking at comments on this forum. I'm sure
it's been discussed before, but what are my best options for replacing these Gibson pick ups with some new or old Guild versions. I never thought I would like anything as much as the pick ups on my Supro--until I heard the Franz on my '60 M65, and the "littlebuckers" on my Starfire (a guitar I'd only dreamed about in'67). I'll eventually list my Guilds--not the other stuff--too much to list! Thanks!