Glen Campbell-"Gentle On My Mind"

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sadly, I never really appreciated the greatness of Glen Campbell until after he passed away. I mean I heard his songs but who didn't? I just never really listened. This one has been around a while but a friend of mine sent it to me and I thought it worth sharing even if you had seen it before. Man, what an icon!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Yup, he was a pretty fair studio guy early in his career, too. Dang near every song heard coming out of LA back in the day.

And a couple pretty fair pickers sitting there watching on the video besides.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A long long - late 60s - time ago (that was part of a verse in a popular song of that era-I think) when I was in college I use to go to the college library and checkout "Gentle On My Mind" and listen to it. I thought it relaxed me and made me a better hitter in baseball. Great song but I never could hit!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Always loved Glen Campbell! His TV show is what got me into playing guitar when I was a kid. Gone too soon...

I've posted this before, but this is so great - an interview, then a unaccompanied solo performance of "Wichita Lineman". What always blows me away is the great solo he lays down in the middle of the song.

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glen Campbell - IMHO - was one of a handful of musicians who would have been a star if he had never open his mouth or if he had chosen just the opposite - to have never played the guitar. He was great at both!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sadly, I never really appreciated the greatness of Glen Campbell until after he passed away. I mean I heard his songs but who didn't? I just never really listened. This one has been around a while but a friend of mine sent it to me and I thought it worth sharing even if you had seen it before. Man, what an icon!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

Every time I watch that clip I'm struck by how intently all the other players (and there are some good ones sitting there) are watching Glenn.

Saw Glen in 2012 and it was bittersweet - needing a teleprompter to sing "Wichita Lineman" but transformed and transfixed when soloing.

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
Really nice playing & singing, from an exceptionally talented guy.

Also, note that he is using a strap, to hold that slippery Ovation in place!

matsickma

Reaction score
On the last tour with his daughter Glen Campbell played in our area. He suffered from dimentia but it was said his guitar playing was excellent. Unfortunately I didn't go to see him and it was afterwards I discovered he was part if the Wrecking Crew and an excellent guitar picker.
I knew his songs but over those many years didn't know how great of a guitar player he was until it was too late.
M

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wore out the vinyl learning that song and even won a bet on a long-ago stage.
A lovely lady in the audience requested the song and bet me 5 bucks that I couldn't remember all the words.
Well, I won the bet but she won my heart. I forget who came out ahead. :witless:

Joe

bobouz

Reaction score
As the writer of the song, John Hartford's stellar version has always been my favorite.

That said, it's such a beautiful piece, and Campbell certainly did it justice.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A lovely lady in the audience requested the song and bet me 5 bucks that I couldn't remember all the words.
Well, I won the bet but she won my heart. I forget who came out ahead. :witless:

Joe

If was Mrs Killdeer you did.
Waitaminnit did that come out right?
:tongue-new:

F312

Reaction score

Joe

I'd like to hear more of this tale, especially one that is imaginatively recounted.

Ralph

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Joe

great story Joe, thanks for sharing that one!
sounds like you totally won.