Peter Tork is Gone

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man of man, talk about memories. You couldn't tear me away from the TV as a kid growing up watching the Monkees show. I'm gonna go find that blues album he apparently released.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

peter-tork-peter-tork-i-never-listen-to-music-in-the-house-i-listen.jpg

2159-peter-davy_orig.jpg

2123-davy-peter.jpg

peterlives1.jpg

Joni at Pete's house:
tumblr_ndgh7hYNMm1rp2qdno4_1280.jpg

Crosby Stills and Nash rehearsing at Pete's house:
Stephen-Stills-Former-Home.jpg

Jimi's waitin' for ya at the big studio in the sky, Pete.
images

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn. That sucks. RIP Peter. My favorite Monkey from one of my favorite TV shows growing up. I remember countless times when we’d be singing their songs on the elementary school bus.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Man of man, talk about memories. You couldn't tear me away from the TV as a kid growing up watching the Monkees show. I'm gonna go find that blues album he apparently released.
3376975_orig.jpg

Not to be confused with the later Shoe Suede Blues:
71siAASsPnL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.petertork.com/
And, from here:
"In many ways, Peter Tork formed the pivotal musical foundation of The Monkees because he was a well-respected musician and artist in the burgeoning New York Folk & Blues scene that yielded the likes of Mama Cass Elliott, Denny Doherty (of Mamas & Papas fame) and Bob Dylan. Peter's gift for playing a plethora of instruments (bass, guitar, keyboard, banjo, and French horn) generated a high demand for his services; and he knocked around for several years in the mid-60s, hanging and performing with the likes of Van Dyke Parks, Arthur Lee, and Steven Stills.......
Peter, never totally satisfied with prefab fame, stuck to his roots. He could forever be found jamming with bands, learning and honing his chops. Music legend Jimi Hendrix jammed with Peter on several occasions, calling Peter - "The most talented Monkee."

He played banjo on a cut of George Harrison's Wonderwall, too.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
awesome. he was so connected to everything that was happening then.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
awesome. he was so connected to everything that was happening then.
Yep, and the only reason he wasn't in London with other 3 guys when they attended the recording sessions for "A Day in the Life" was because he was still in LA polishing up the masters for Headquarters.
Which ironically spent a week at #1 before being knocked out by Pepper's, and they then spent the next 11 weeks in that position.
(So to speak.)
The first 2 albums had already topped the charts in both the US and the UK, in fact the 2nd album knocked the first out of #1, and it took the Beatles to top that.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, and the only reason he wasn't in London with other 3 guys when they attended the recording sessions for "A Day in the Life" was because he was still in LA polishing up the masters for Headquarters.
Which ironically spent a week at #1 before being knocked out by Pepper's, and they then spent the next 11 weeks in that position.
(So to speak.)
The first 2 albums had already topped the charts in both the US and the UK, in fact the 2nd album knocked the first out of #1, and it took the Beatles to top that.

my guess, in the long run, he was glad to be not so famous. he appears to have lived a really interesting and cool life back then and up to now.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al, thanks for posting all that (in some cases, "again"). Great stuff!

I grew up watching the show, it got me into music, along with the Glen Campbell Good Time Hour.

RIP.

Going to listen to some Monkees now.

walrus

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
The music hero's from our childhood and teen years are checking out fast, very sad, especially when they are sick. There is a nice retrospective in Variety, along
with a nice Facebook entry from Mike Nesmith. Kudos to those that found all those photos in previous postings, wow!