RIP Peter Tork

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Another Guild-slinger has left us. RIP Mr. Tork.

dydCKNv.jpg

and here is the photo I erroneously posted earlier (this is not Peter Tork, but just his bass):

q7vDk4i.jpg

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
so Monkees was before CSN but after Beatles right?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah but he's playing Peter's (Guild Jet Star) bass.

Did he actually "play" the bass? I think Peter and Michael were the only real musicians in the band. Mickey and Davy were real singers, but I don't think they actually played any instruments.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
so Monkees was before CSN but after Beatles right?

Yah.
Stills was in Buffalo Springfield with Young in '66-'67; Young kept coming and going and BS imploded quickly, freeing up Stills to start something when he and Crosby first ran into Nash at either (you guessed it) Pete's house or Mama Cass's (Mamas and the Papas) house, there are conflicting reports, no doubt due to use of herbal medications by the participants at the time.
Beatlemania hit the US full-force in early '64, and the Monkees were conceived in '65 as, frankly, an outright rip-off of the Beatle's movies formula, although the show didn't debut until September '66.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
RIP Peter. My adolescent period was during their heyday. I watched their TV show every Saturday, to my Dad's chagrin. It was the original "MTV."

Peter was actually an accomplished musician, I saw an interview with him where he said he was floored by the fact that they didn't actually want him to play an instrument for their recordings. He didn't let his ego stand in the way and made lots of money accordingly. Their producers may not have been musicians but they knew how to sell records.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did he actually "play" the bass? I think Peter and Michael were the only real musicians in the band. Mickey and Davy were real singers, but I don't think they actually played any instruments.

Oh boy, here we go again***
It seems like that myth will never be laid to rest.
Yes they were ALL musicians prior to being packaged into the Monkees, and Peter was actually the most accomplished of the bunch.
This interview puts it in a nutshell, already linked in this thread (where evidence from contemporary sources debunks the myths):
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?198552-Peter-Tork-is-Gone
Also more extensive recap of their career as the Monkees here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197940-How-They-Used-To-Do-It&highlight=gold+star
***And forgive my seeming impatience, I just realized this is a second thread on the subject of Pete's passing, didn't catch it had a different title.
EDIT: And to be fair, I believe only one of those video was actually "live", an early version of "Stepping Stone".
The vast majority of 'me were mimed over a studio recording, glaringly obvious for example in a tune where there's a bass in the tune but not in the video.
So that furthered the myth even if not realized by us youngsters at the time.

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think I was perpetuating a myth. Michael and Peter were legitimate musicians. And while I stand corrected on whether or not Davy and Mickey actually played instruments (drums and guitar, respectively), they played different instruments than the ones they pretended to play on the show.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't think I was perpetuating a myth.

Oh I didn't mean to imply you were perpetuating it, I just thought you were another unwitting "victim" of it.
Thanks for staying calm.
And yes Mickey did have to learn the drums and the early shots of Davy playing other instruments were artifacts of the miming that went on.
Originally Davy was slated to play the drums but it was decided he was too short to be visible on 'em without a riser.
Such are the vicissitudes of creating a band to fit a TV concept.
Who played what instrument was secondary to how good they looked faking it.
Image was everything, which is logical enough for the visual medium of television.
Thinking back on it, I don't think anywhere near as much importance was placed on individual musicianship at the time, either.
I can't recall any "superstars" who were widely recognized for being "rock (or even pop) virtuosos" until the formation of Cream in late '66, where Clapton had international creds already, even though Baker and Bruce were still primarily recognized in London's jazz scene.
The real virtuosos, the session players, were virtually anonymous and ok with it.
2 years later the Jimi Hendrix Experience had effected a critical mass that changed all that.
The bar for actual performers was raised forever after.
But how many of us really paid attention to what Peter played in '66, or even recognized that it was all lip-synching?
Even on most of the shows that featured the top pop bands of the day?
So all of that kind of contributes to the myth that they "couldn't" play, too.

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
That's not him, that's Davy. Peter's on the right.

Whoops! I guess I shouldn't have turned to google to find a nice image of him... with that being the bass I always associated him with, I didn't question it. One of my faults is that I tend to focus more on instruments than the actual appearance of the musician. My apologies! In any case, was sad to hear he passed.

This one was probably my favorite tune by them:

https://youtu.be/AHf7X7Mt66M

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Just saw that there is another RIP Peter Tork thread that was posted just minutes before this one... probably while I was harvesting a photo of Mr. Tork that turned out not to be Mr. Tork. So, dear mods, please feel free to delete this thread.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just saw that there is another RIP Peter Tork thread that was posted just minutes before this one... probably while I was harvesting a photo.....
Yeah I know how that goes... :glee:
Still you can be forgiven and you have the sympathy of those of us who were actually reminded which one was which several times weekly, back in the day.
While we're at it, there was this other band called "the Beatles", too....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Monkees songwirters included Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart, Neil Sadaka, Neil Diamond, Paul Williams, Carole King, Andy Kim, Michael Martin Murphey, et al.

Alan_M

Reaction score
So sad. RIP Peter. My Favorite Monkee...... sounds like a sitcom title but, he was.

I was born in 65 and the re-runs were still fresh when I started watching them in the early 70's. Peter was my favorite too. I had a blonde bowl cut, so I identified. I never knew the "controversy" of the Monkees at the time I was a fan, I was too young. Growing older, I never stopped liking the songs though. That's because they were great, really well written songs, including the ones written by the Monkees themselves. Peter and Michael were excellent players when given the opportunity, and really, Davey Jones was a great singer/frontman for the time. Micky was even able to learn the drums pretty quickly and became at least, competent. RIP Mr. Tork.

Last edited: