My wife is a US citizen today!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
She been in the US since she was 4, came over with her Mom and brother in early 80s from England.
Her green card was good for life and she always paid taxes etc (just cant vote or do jury duty) but since we plan to travel overseas, she wanted to get her US citizenship so no hassles coming back to the US. 147 people just in Tucson went thru the ceremony today, hundreds of family members there to support their loved ones etc. Quite an ordeal and interesting to witness.

The only bummer is part of the oath is to renounce your "homeland" king, queen, prince, whatever..." I did not know that part, but Nic has been in US since a toddler so she has always just known America. Her mom was a bit bummed however and I get...You do NOT have to give up your roots etc, just the authority of your native land. Something like that.

Anyway, wanted to share. Cool beans.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I was born in Scotland to parents living in the US (citizenship-wise my dad was American, born in the US, while my mom was British, born in Scotland) and so am a dual American/British citizen. The American part came by default but I had to apply for British citizenship. At the time I did it mainly to please my mom, but now I think it's kinda cool. When I lived in the Middle East having two passports made travelling between countries a lot easier!

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Congratulations, too. As an ex-greencard-holder I truly agree with the part, that even though you may become a citizen of another country it should not mean that you should leave your past behind.
Had I ever become US citizen - I would've played the ceremony, but in my heart I would forever remain a true Finn.
Just ask your elders - I'm sure there are many who feel the same.

Naturally for me this would have been fairly easy - same with your wife - while I can not imagine a war between US and Finland or England.

Oh - and at eve of Brexit it could be quite good to be US-citizen if travelling abroad...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was born in Scotland to parents living in the US (citizenship-wise my dad was American, born in the US, while my mom was British, born in Scotland) and so am a dual American/British citizen. The American part came by default but I had to apply for British citizenship. At the time I did it mainly to please my mom, but now I think it's kinda cool. When I lived in the Middle East having two passports made travelling between countries a lot easier!

-Dave-

oh totally. Nic can leave country now and work in any european nation and not have to leave. i would have to leave every 2-3 months and stay away for 90 days in order to return. only in america is the path to citizenship so easy.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm 3 generations removed from my Netherlands ancestors, but I still embrace my Dutch heritage in many ways.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The only bummer is part of the oath is to renounce your "homeland" king, queen, prince, whatever..." I did not know that part, but Nic has been in US since a toddler so she has always just known America. Her mom was a bit bummed however and I get...You do NOT have to give up your roots etc, just the authority of your native land. Something like that.
Anyway, wanted to share. Cool beans.
Yeah, had no idea, congrats!
-Dave-
Yes, this made me wonder if that was still possible, as I lived with some folks for awhile whose Mrs was dual Australian/ US citizen; she was born there and married a US citizen.
Don't recall if I ever learned the specifics of how she managed it but there was some extra petititioning involved, I think.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm 3 generations removed from my Netherlands ancestors, but I still embrace my Dutch heritage in many ways.

cool Dread. my grandmother on father's side came over on a boat from sweden to northern Maine when she was 9. New Sweden, ME. pretty cool.

tommym

Reaction score
Congratulations!

My sister had duel citizenship: East German / USA. It really confused the East German border guards when she would walk up to the border crossings in her US military dress uniform and present them with her East German credentials. Oma still lived in East Germany, so they did not hassle my sister at all.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome congrats :) I was hoping as I was reading this that she might have been Asian then I would of asked if she had any relatives you all could hook me up with . Yeah I'm on a dating site or two , thing is they all want me to take them traveling and feed them bottles of wine that sounds kind of ok if I had the funds but the worst of it is when they say their work out nuts and go to the gym 4 days a week. Sorry that would kill me and I'm guessing thats the plan so they can get your death money .

Also they all have University Degrees or undergraduate degrees which I'm still trying to understand , they went to collage but didn't graduate or something I'm confused guess I'm a undergrad to. Thats one side of the selections the other is well , oh boy ok their the same age as me but look like my grandmother God rest her soul . I mean they ollld looking, lose skin flabby everything wrinkles every where, blue hair and flower shirts form the 60's and I ain't talking Tie Die baby ! Some are even puckering up for a kiss in the pictures and all i keep seeing is the grandmother from Bill and Teds excellent adventure the one where they go to Hell and face their worst fears , Yup thats the one I see !

Theres is a third type and I don't want to come across wrong or sound mean but it couldn't work out as I don't have enough strength to roll them through the door if'n they'd fit.
Man it's not like the old days , what the heck happened ?

Anyway congrats just take comfort in knowing generically I'm Brit but there ain't no way in heck I''m living there well wait a sec they do have lots of beer no no no can't do it .
Congrats again :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Awesome congrats :) I was hoping as I was reading this that she might have been Asian then I would of asked if she had any relatives you all could hook me up with . Yeah I'm on a dating site or two , thing is they all want me to take them traveling and feed them bottles of wine that sounds kind of ok if I had the funds but the worst of it is when they say their work out nuts and go to the gym 4 days a week. Sorry that would kill me and I'm guessing thats the plan so they can get your death money .

Also they all have University Degrees or undergraduate degrees which I'm still trying to understand , they went to collage but didn't graduate or something I'm confused guess I'm a undergrad to. Thats one side of the selections the other is well , oh boy ok their the same age as me but look like my grandmother God rest her soul . I mean they ollld looking, lose skin flabby everything wrinkles every where, blue hair and flower shirts form the 60's and I ain't talking Tie Die baby ! Some are even puckering up for a kiss in the pictures and all i keep seeing is the grandmother from Bill and Teds excellent adventure the one where they go to Hell and face their worst fears , Yup thats the one I see !

Theres is a third type and I don't want to come across wrong or sound mean but it couldn't work out as I don't have enough strength to roll them through the door if'n they'd fit.
Man it's not like the old days , what the heck happened ?

Anyway congrats just take comfort in knowing generically I'm Brit but there ain't no way in heck I''m living there well wait a sec they do have lots of beer no no no can't do it .
Congrats again :)

Ray, perhaps not your intent, but I laughed out loud more than once at this rant!

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray, perhaps not your intent, but I laughed out loud more than once at this rant!

walrus

It was but also very true . My experiences as of the last month and half lmao 😂

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! That's a big day. My wife became a citizen a few years ago in order to vote. She and my kids both have dual citizenship from Sweden and the U.S. It's a great thing to have both.