Jetstar Bass Restoration

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With the passing or Peter Tork some pics of his Jetstar Bass were posted.
A question of whether or not the Guild logo might have been obscured on it came up here, and while searching for comparable photos I stumbled across this restoration blog which I thought might be of interest to Guild Bass fans:
http://guitargarage.blogspot.com/2011/11/1966-guild-jetstar-bass-bringing-peter.html
Ok not really Pete's bass although the author does note he played one with that style of headstock and suggests only half in jest dropping a Hammon pickup in there.
Yeah I thought that'd get some attention.
:biggrin-new:
It also occurs to me that perhaps the author Krishna is/was a member here, and has already shared this labor of love?
He certainly seems to know his stuff, especially for having written that in 2011, even down to this detail:
"This bass was also fitted with the large Hagstrom BiSonic pickup, as used on the Guild Starfire basses. It doesn't appear that very many examples of this style were built - probably less than 100 and maybe as few as 8."
That correlates with Hans' observation that Guild built guitars in batches of 8.
(I believe that was about Westerly so I'm an assuming it was also true in Hoboken, and how likely is it that somebody'd know that without having learned it from someone like Hans?)
Anyway, if we've seen this before I won't apologize for the repeat since I'm sure there'll be some folks seeing it for the first time or who'll appreciate the repeat anyway.
:friendly_wink:
Teaser photo:
IMG_9452.JPG

Never knew those puppies had a 3-piece neck.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I know Krishna - very nice guy, he refinished my early-'70s Fender Telecaster Bass and helped set up my Rickenbacker 4003S/8 8-string bass. Haven't talked to him in years, I should drop him a line.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know you had a Rick 8 stringer. I recently pondered buying one. How much do you use it?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! I didn't know you had a Rick 8 stringer. I recently pondered buying one. How much do you use it?

I love it but it's a very specialty instrument, or at least the way I use it it is. It's like a 4003 on steroids! One of the issues is whether it's strung with the octave string on top or on the bottom. Mine came stock with the octave on the bottom - I had Krishna switch it to octave on top which works much better for me - I play mine with a pick 100% of the time. I'll link to stuff via pm so as not to veer to far too fast...

katthestar

Reaction score
I have to admit, you guys are making me want a Jet Star bass. There’s one on Reverb for $3,400 with the original case in a nice cherry red.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
i have to admit, you guys are making me want a jet star bass. There’s one on reverb for $3,400 with the original case in a nice cherry red.

YOW!!!

Mine has a Bi-Sonic, but I sure am glad I bought it 20 years ago.

Last edited: