Sweet Baby James

Grassdog

Reaction score
Have seen this a few times before but thanks for posting. Just amazing how good he still sounds today, and his vocal range hasn't deteriorated at all. Been trying to learn/emulate his fingerstyle technique for decades (like, 4) and it still eludes me. Love seeing Carole in this as well. She, like James, has aged gracefully.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for posting this.
I learned about JT here on LTG, well I learned a lot here anyway!

Markus :smile:

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
His guitar playing has greatly improved from his early days. He COULD have been another heroine victim but somehow survived to carry on.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
His guitar playing has greatly improved from his early days. He COULD have been another heroine victim but somehow survived to carry on.

Yeah, thank goodness he survived.

Young Janis died one night along with 7 others in LA who shared the same dealer. One of my favorite artists, Lowell George, might still be around if it weren't for the smack.

Of course, booze has killed just as many.

dougdnh

Reaction score
The whole Sweet Baby James album is one of the all time greats. Saw him once many years ago, it was an outdoor concert and the weather wasn't great, but he did a great show. Even though I'm not a huge folk fan, I could listen to James all night. Saw his brother Livingston a few times in a small venue. He also is very entertaining (I believe Livingston is a music prof at Berkley), but more in a humorous way.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Country Roads" was one of the first covers I ever played. I'm glad there is no recording of that!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw James and Carol King at the Hollywood bowl, a few years back. Saw James and ( supposed to be Bonnie Raitt , but she called out sick for a bit ) Cheryl Crow at the bowl, last year.