Guild Mid Priced OM or 000 ?

billymox

Reaction score
Before recently buying a used F-30R and searching for a small body rosewood Guild, I found that my only choices were
the very expensive for me Orpheum Series about $4000 and the China made OM-150. Third choice to find a
used discontinued F-30R. No Guild American made OM in the $1700 to $2500 range where I'd think there would be
more market demand than what Guild offers. I believe the street price for the F-30R was about $2000.
$4000 is a lot of money for most folks and many won't buy China made. Also, I don't think the new Westerly Series \
China products compare in quality or tonal characteristics to the old GAD.

I couldn't find a D-50 on their website, is that also discontinued?

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree wholeheartedly Billy. It is a glaring hole and missed opportunity in Guild’s US line up. I’ve written to them with some ideas. A lot of us who grew up with large body guitars are moving to smaller body guitars, as are a lot of modern performers. Larrivee makes some good ones but most new ones in an affordable price range are made overseas.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild USA Production is still somewhat in it's infancy stage in Oxnard after the acquisition by Cordoba Music Group. The closest they have to an OM body style which is actually a bit smaller are the all Mahogany M20's and the Spruce and Hog M40's. Given time I believe they will eventually get around to bringing back a F30 styled model to the USA lineup but for now they have been concentrating on the Flag ship models that Guild has been known for throughout the years like the F55, F512, D55, and so on. They just recently released the F55M which is the Maple version of the F55. It took a whole year after the release of the F55 rosewood model to get the Maple version of the same guitar out and about so you can tell they are taking their time. For now New Hartford, Tacoma, and Westerly made models on the second hand market are about all that is available in a USA made offering for the "OM" style guitars.

As far as the D50 is concerned I have heard that there is a plan for that model in the pipeline of the USA Made Guilds but no telling when it will see the light of day. The woods that were used on the New Hartford Standard series guitars are some of the nicest that I have seen and the prices on the used market right now are ridiculously low on those models when compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers like a Martin D28. Not to mention that the 2 Guild D50 Standards I have played both left the Martin D28's that were available to A/B compare them with in the dust tonally and Play ability wise in my opinion.

If I didn't already own a New Hartford 1 of 20 GSR D50 with Cocobolo back and sides I would have by now jumped on Twocorgi's D50 Standard he has for sale here on the forum. That is one fine guitar that will most likely never be made in that perfect storm of design, craftsmanship, and that quality of materials again let alone for anywhere near that price range. Just an opinion as always.

TX

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, I understand the jumbos are their bread and butter. Those big models are gorgeous and I would love to have a couple but I just can play them anymore. Just being selfish and whining. Still, I’d love me a burst F30/R with 1-3/4 nut and baked top.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh, I understand the jumbos are their bread and butter. Those big models are gorgeous and I would love to have a couple but I just can play them anymore. Just being selfish and whining. Still, I’d love me a burst F30/R with 1-3/4 nut and baked top.

A interesting little bit of info when you are looking at other New Hartford F30's. The traditional model was called the F30 Aragon and only came with Hog back and sides. It has the Chesterfield logo on the headstock with an ebony faceplate, Tortoise binding, and among other things a 1-11/16" nut width. Only the Standard versions (which were available in both hog and RW) like the F30R you just picked up came with the 1-3/4" nut width. Keep that in mind if that is a required spec for you and you start looking for another one.

They also made a limited edition 60th Anniversary Custom Shop Blinged Out all Koa wood F30 in New Hartford if that kind of thing blows your hair back.

dscf4470_3.jpg
2013-Guild-60th-Anniversary-OM-Solid-Koa-Number-50-of-60-8-of-11.jpg
2013-Guild-60th-Anniversary-OM-Solid-Koa-Number-50-of-60-11-of-11.jpg

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A interesting little bit of info when you are looking at other New Hartford F30's. The traditional model was called the F30 Aragon and only came with Hog back and sides. It has the Chesterfield logo on the headstock with an ebony faceplate, Tortoise binding, and among other things a 1-11/16" nut width. Only the Standard versions (which were available in both hog and RW) like the F30R you just picked up came with the 1-3/4" nut width. Keep that in mind if that is a required spec for you and you start looking for another one.

They also made a limited edition 60th Anniversary Custom Shop Blinged Out all Koa wood F30 in New Hartford if that kind of thing blows your hair back.

dscf4470_3.jpg
2013-Guild-60th-Anniversary-OM-Solid-Koa-Number-50-of-60-8-of-11.jpg
2013-Guild-60th-Anniversary-OM-Solid-Koa-Number-50-of-60-11-of-11.jpg

TX

Pretty 😊