No Alcohol Involved

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hard to believe, but I was stone cold sober when I bought this one.

GuildAshboryBase-TopFull.jpg

The tuners all work, but the Piezo is apparently dead. Unless I can find one, which appears to be impossible, I'll update it to use a Fender bridge/pickup. My daughter and her friends think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if u ever want to buy a real Guild bass, hit me up! i have a pile to choose from, and a van to bring them to New Jersey. until then...enjoy the Ashbory! those actually sound pretty cool. just not worth the trade off of being seen playing one, ha!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Your's is a 2nd generation model with the half moon tuners. You do know you are missing the bridge cover?

Ashbory.jpg

When I bought mine back in the late 80's it too was missing the cover. I was able to purchase a brand new cover from Guild in Westerly.

(Don't forget the talcum powder!)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
if u ever want to buy a real Guild bass, hit me up! i have a pile to choose from, and a van to bring them to New Jersey. until then...enjoy the Ashbory! those actually sound pretty cool. just not worth the trade off of being seen playing one, ha!

I actually have a fretless Pilot that's on the list of things I bought to review that I haven't gotten to:

GuildBlueFretless.jpg

merlin6666

Reaction score
I think these are very appealing instruments. Though in the ukulele world they have something called the U-Bass that is also very compact and uses synthetic strings, and they sound great! Does anyone know if the U-bass basically copied the Ashbory technology or if they use a different approach?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Your's is a 2nd generation model with the half moon tuners. You do know you are missing the bridge cover?

Ashbory.jpg

When I bought mine back in the late 80's it too was missing the cover. I was able to purchase a brand new cover from Guild in Westerly.

(Don't forget the talcum powder!)

I know it's missing the cover but the bridge needs to be replaced anyway and from what I can gather there is zero hope of getting an original so I'll have to mod it to take a Fender.

Interesting about the tuners. I did not know that.

Very cool resource about Ashobory basses if you haven't seen it: http://www.largesound.com

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
So is there going to be a kickstarter for the International Hall of Guilds, a museum located in New Jersey featuring the collections of Grot and Gad?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You did check the battery right?

LOL - yes. And I plugged in the cable because it's got cable-disconnect wiring. The LED comes on - it just doesn't work. From what I've read this is a super common occurrence on Guild Ashborys and the only solution is to replace the bridge. This bridge looks like someone tried to fix it, which is apparently also pretty common.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
dude, nice!

Thanks! I got it cheap a couple of years ago because it has no case and apparently no one wanted it. I have it sitting in a gig bag waiting in line to get reviewed but with stuff like two Brian Mays, the Blue SFV, the X2000, and more in front of it, it may be a while. :witless:

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I knew a guy who had an Ashbory back in the late 80's. Fun and sounded good.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have it sitting in a gig bag waiting in line to get reviewed but with stuff like two Brian Mays, the Blue SFV, the X2000, and more in front of it, it may be a while. :witless:
Anxiously awaiting your Benedetto review.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend loves his U-Bass, the strings look the same.