X-160 with unusual finish

X-170AB

Reaction score
I came across this X-160 in a shop in Denmark recently:

https://www.woodstockguitars.dk/en/product/guild-x-160/

This sent me down the rabbit hole of understanding the differences in Westerly X-160s, Corona X-160s, and X-160 Rockabillys. The guitar shown is a Westerly, with a serial number (HJ000079) that seems to put it right around 1989. As such, what I've read suggests that it would have the same body as a Westerly X-170 (16" by 2-1/2" or so), and would have Guild HB-1s – feel free to correct me if you know differently.

What's most interesting about this X-160 is the finish. The seller sent me a photo of the label (not shown in the listing) that reads "X-160 CHAR". This doesn't seem like any red I've seen, nor does it seem like the orange on the Rockabillys and some other Guilds. Is this a known custom finish, or something anyone has heard of before? The photos seem a little dark, but even when I adjust the exposure and white balance, the color seems pretty close to what's shown. Seems pretty unique.

The guitar seems in good shape and the price is reasonable, so I may well add this to my Guild archtop arsenal, although an X-160 Rockabilly with DeArmonds might be even more desirable.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1989 seems to be right.
Hans once wrote about them: "It is the no-frills version of the X-170 and it was produced between 1988 and 1995. It is exactly the same shape as the X-170 but with less expensive trimmings. The body is also somewhat smaller than the (later Westerly) version..."
HB-1, yes.
CHAR stood for "Transparent Charcoal" as color for that model. However that guitar doesn't look like a "Charcoal" color, which I would have thought to be a little bit more towards black. Well, maybe just a very light color.

Note that somebody screwed the bridge to the top!

guild_x160_CHAR_5.jpg

guild_x160_CHAR_1.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
1989 seems to be right.
Hans once wrote about them: "It is the no-frills version of the X-170 and it was produced between 1988 and 1995. It is exactly the same shape as the X-170 but with less expensive trimmings. The body is also somewhat smaller than the (later Westerly) version..."
HB-1, yes.
CHAR stood for "Transparent Charcoal" as color for that model. However that guitar doesn't look like a "Charcoal" color, which I would have thought to be a little bit more towards black. Well, maybe just a very light color.
Ralf

I think it was in a discussion about Pilot bass colors, that we saw one that looked downright "brown" to me, an IIRC somebody suggested it was due to the underlying wood.
I think it was actually Grot's, with a poplar body?
Ah, posts 11 &12, here and note Hans' comment in post 11 along with Twocorgii's downright "chocolate" looking one in #19:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197469-Guild-Pilot/page2
:friendly_wink:

matsickma

Reaction score
I always find the X160/X161 finishes to be cooler than the X170's. It may have been Guilds plan to save $ on no neck binding, fret blocks, and chrome hardware to but increase interest in the model by the more rare finishes. However based on the number sold the X170 was the dominant seller and the 160 was curtailed.
M

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think that trans-black has just faded out like the old green/black Starfires, etc. do. I bet if you pulled some of the hardware off, you'd see a significantly different color.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Could it be that the color has simply faded from almost black to this color? Sorry that I don't have time right now to find examples, but I seem to recall seeing guitars that looked like they might have been refinished, but turned out to have simply faded. Something to do with the pigment used to make a very dark transparent finish.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Could it be that the color has simply faded from almost black to this color? Sorry that I don't have time right now to find examples, but I seem to recall seeing guitars that looked like they might have been refinished, but turned out to have simply faded. Something to do with the pigment used to make a very dark transparent finish.

You are probably referring to older guitars, but I don't think it's the case here. I believe it's the lighting they used to photograph this one.

It actually looks nice like that but I expect the guitar to look really different in regular daylight.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

X-170AB

Reaction score
You are probably referring to older guitars, but I don't think it's the case here. I believe it's the lighting they used to photograph this one.

It actually looks nice like that but I expect the guitar to look really different in regular daylight.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans, that's just what I'm thinking. I wish it did really look like that, but I also suspect the lighting is 'accentuating' the color. That would be a great custom color! I've asked the shop if they can send some photos taken in normal daylight, and will report back.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would agree that finish color is very cool!

walrus

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I like it too but the price is very high compared to other 160s I've seen in recent years in the EU. it translates to about €1,700 whereas I've seen two recently for about €1,000, both in Italy

X-170AB

Reaction score
Here are some daylight photos from the seller:

thtZYBI.jpg

B2B7j06.jpg

ACBHSwr.jpg

Very similar to the other example. I like the way it looks in these photos. Hmmm...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are wonderful new pictures! Stunning guitar!
I wonder about the intonation with that straight fixed bridge however...But that is an easy fix obviously.
Ralf