"Memo from Turner" Mick Jagger?

CA-35

Reaction score
I guess I need to get out more because I just heard this song on WXPN and I am embarrassed to admit it was the first time I've ever heard it, and I dug it.

According to Wikipedia there are 3 versions:

The first version, which is not officially released, is a slow, brooding version recorded by members of the band Traffic. It features Steve Winwood on all instruments except drums, which are played by Jim Capaldi.

The second version, released on Metamorphosis in 1975 on the Allen Klein Decca/London pre-existing legacy contracts of the Stones 1960s recordings, was a different version recorded by The Rolling Stones in November 1968, and has a looser feel than the released version. This version supposedly features Al Kooper on guitar, and perhaps Keith Richards as well. Either Charlie Watts or Capaldi plays drums on this recording. Credited to "Jagger/Richards", it is not clear how many of the Rolling Stones besides Jagger actually played on it.

The third version of the song, typified by its slide guitar, was the one recorded for the soundtrack to the movie Performance, starring Mick Jagger as the song title's "Turner". It is featured prominently in the movie, with Mick Jagger, as Turner, lip-synching it. This is the more well-known version of the song, as it was released as a solo single by Jagger in England in 1970 and is featured on the later Singles Collection: The London Years.

This track was recorded in Los Angeles in early 1970, and uses the vocal track of the first, slow version. The tape of Jagger's vocals was sent to Jack Nitzsche, where all music parts were recorded by Ry Cooder on slide guitar, Russ Titelman (guitar), Randy Newman (piano), Jerry Scheff (bass) and Gene Parsons (drums).[2]

This is the 3rd version.......Enjoy....................

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I enjoyed listening to that! I've never seen the movie... so this is my first time hearing the song. I'm a big fan of Ry Cooder's slide guitar playing (acoustic and electric). The opening slide licks are classic Ry Cooder from that era... glass slide, a stratocaster and Ry's signature touch. :encouragement:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great song. I think the movie is a ‘you had to be there’ one. At the time it really fed into the myth and aura of ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ era Jagger.