Perfect D55 - little less than perfect this evening

TBK711

Reaction score
Well ... it happened .... finish checking. Around the bridge. What should I do to stop the progress?

Anything I can do to stabilize it where it is?

I’m actually not too bummed. Still love the guitar, but, ugh, you know, kind of sucks.

https://imgur.com/a/k0uBN6D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just do what you can to avoid quick temperature swings.

TBK711

Reaction score
Yep - mojo it is.

It’s been in the same room with no particular temp chnges. And let it rest awhile before opening. Maybe these were there already and I didn’t notice because i got to playing right away. ..... but I don’t think so .... hopefully it’s done what it is going to do and now it is settled in to its new home.

It travelled from Dallas to Pittsburgh in winter .... so I guess that is the chance I took. Oh well. It’s still awesome.

Grassdog

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with some finish checking. It happens. The best sounding guitar I own has finish checking all over the top and maybe that something to do with it.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with some finish checking. It happens. The best sounding guitar I own has finish checking all over the top and maybe that something to do with it.

I agree. Although I prefer a guitar to NOT have checking it doesn't bother me all that much if it's there.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You could check into a program ;-)

Checking is fickle stuff and must be governed by Murphy himself... If you don't want it, it happens. If you do, like on a relic Strat, it doesn't.

I believe nitro lacquer very commonly checks, poly finishes rarely.

Thin nitro finishes are best for tone.

At any rate, nitro = cool, therefore checking = cool.

My 1996 D5CE has the most checking of any acoustic I've ever had, it's cool as all get out, I hope to see more appear over time.

I'd have to say I'm reasonably sure it's Nitro because of the checking.

Checking is fickle, and I've often seen checking appear, and then disappear as the guitar warms up, obviously, it flows again, the molecules aren't all quite ready to crystalize.

My D5CE is doing this around the bass side of the soundhole. Usually the area has some crazing to go, sometimes it all joins up, and then the lines seemingly vanish again.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
TBK,

Not to minimize the concern or disappointment, everyone has different things about
what makes them happy or less so about an instrument, especially a new acquisition - so
just sharing part of my journey, which has moved away from pristine instruments toward players,
all in the pursuit of tone, which means accepting and appreciating aesthetic character, wear and tear,
all a part of each individual instrument's story, or song as it were.

Just took these, this is another DCE3 I have - needed some work but had good bones,
a great growling maple sound, perfect neck angle, good frets, good action. Several cracks fixed, new bridge and
saddle, some other odds & ends - smile every time I pick it up and start strumming - that is once I get past the
ridiculous weight of the arch-back blonde beast!

7ae4tov.jpg

uaIMERA.jpg

I0Met0V.jpg

Last edited:

billymox

Reaction score
If I will keep a guitar, finish checking is fine, character, maturity, etc., like grey hair on an mature, wise older gentleman, but it does effect resale.

TBK711

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate your encouragement. That DCE3 is awesome looking. I have no plans to resell this guitar ever, so if resale is impacted, I ok with it. In fact, I am taking the perspective that this is good because now I won’t baby it out of fear. I can play it! Still kind of bummed because I felt like I had lucked into just a uniquely unblemished guitar, but this guitar still looks amazing from four feet away and my ears love every part of it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In the electric guitar world, people pay extra for that relic look. But somehow in the acoustic world it's an issue. I wouldn't let it bother me.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where is the checking happening, TBK? Is it around the bridge? Might be something needs some work there. You might want to slack the strings and look closely with a mirror and bright light to look for cracks.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bonneville, was that a cold guitar exposed to heat? Or, vice versa?

That's a poster child for thermal checking. Wow!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, that guitar needs to check into rehab ;-)

Now I know what I have to look forward to on my D5CE, it's only halfway there and it's usually the coolest guitar in the room at local jams.

Check please! ;-)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It travelled from Dallas to Pittsburgh in winter .... so I guess that is the chance I took. Oh well. It’s still awesome.

I think I got some too. My blue jumbo traveled from Maine to Utah. It could be from any number of things. Simply shipping in winter, regardless of how careful we are to let it acclimatize when it arrives.... Or maybe Westerly nitrocellulose lacquer was applied particularly thin (makes for that great Westerly tone, but also tends to finish check?).... Just age.... Cosmic rays?.... (OK, probably not that last one.)

Still awesome is right!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In the electric guitar world, people pay extra for that relic look. But somehow in the acoustic world it's an issue. I wouldn't let it bother me.

OMG I just mentioned that on the D50 bluegrass thread lol except I didn't specify guitar type which your correct on . 😁

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chaz, Coug, GA... I don't know much history on this one - crazing was that way when I bought it -
guitar looked beat but interesting, and I'd been really pleased with the orange DC3,
so I rolled the guitar dice and got it for a song, and glad I did. If nothing else,
will have left it better than I found it - as with all my guitars, I'm just the appreciative -
and very temporary - caretaker.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I have no plans to resell this guitar ever.... I am taking the perspective that this is good because now I won’t baby it out of fear.

Yeah, time to stop scrutinizing 'em and start playing 'em. After all, they're.....

....Made To Be Played!