I HATE this site and all of you!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tim, apparently we've let you down some how. So if you can't buck up and BUY A GOD DAMNED GUITAR for us to oogle ..... then what good are ya??? HUH???? I ask you!!!!

I've bought a couple of new ones kinda recently. You weren't here to see 'em but they still count. Not Guilds but they all count brother. At least in my book.

Tell me a story........
Best post eva! :) Ante up, Tim! With that kind of hate, who needs love? :) :)

Cheab

Reaction score
Best post eva! :) Ante up, Tim! With that kind of hate, who needs love? :) :)

Not yet.........but I can feel my wallet tingling.........or is that the wife holding a knife to my butt cheek? Again........I hate you guys!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good to be back! Show me an old Guild is how to spend my money but you already know that lol. Your issue now is that the wife has veto power Sandy!

Nah, I took care of that!

Cheab

Reaction score
Nah, I took care of that!

raw

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The DVs are a series of Guild dreads that are indeed sought after, and there's a ton of love for them here on the board. Guild is notorious for making model names that aren't mappable to anything, Cheab, but I recall someone proposing that DV was for dreadnought vintage. I wouldn't ascribe very much to that in terms of intent of the diffferent members of the series.

DV-52s are non-fancy appointed guitars. They came in hand-rubbed finishes, as well as satin NCL. But, they also came in gloss NCL, so (again) don't expect consistency. A DV-52NT would be a natural top (as in no stain / sunburst), but I don't know if that would be hand-rubbed, satin, or gloss finish.

DV-7x are quite the opposite. They have very fancy inlays, some with turquoise, some with malachite, and some others as well.

Anyway, as for why they are sought after... I have heard many here say they like the tone of the DVs better than the rest. In some sense, by analogy, it might be like comparing Martin's HDs to their Ds. The bracing is different than the other dreads, and that may be true here with the DVs.

Cheab

Reaction score
The DVs are a series of Guild dreads that are indeed sought after, and there's a ton of love for them here on the board. Guild is notorious for making model names that aren't mappable to anything, Cheab, but I recall someone proposing that DV was for dreadnought vintage. I wouldn't ascribe very much to that in terms of intent of the diffferent members of the series.

DV-52s are non-fancy appointed guitars. They came in hand-rubbed finishes, as well as satin NCL. But, they also came in gloss NCL, so (again) don't expect consistency. A DV-52NT would be a natural top (as in no stain / sunburst), but I don't know if that would be hand-rubbed, satin, or gloss finish.

DV-7x are quite the opposite. They have very fancy inlays, some with turquoise, some with malachite, and some others as well.

Anyway, as for why they are sought after... I have heard many here say they like the tone of the DVs better than the rest. In some sense, by analogy, it might be like comparing Martin's HDs to their Ds. The bracing is different than the other dreads, and that may be true here with the DVs.

Thanks!!!!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From "Guild Gallery" 1997-98: "DV series guitars are the product of research into how to tune the bodies and tops of these dreadnoughts to sound like vintage guitars." and "DV52 is widely recognized as the best value in the acoustic realm and it was chosen as the basis for the Guild Custom Shop models."
Ralf

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
From "Guild Gallery" 1997-98: "DV series guitars are the product of research into how to tune the bodies and tops of these dreadnoughts to sound like vintage guitars." and "DV52 is widely recognized as the best value in the acoustic realm and it was chosen as the basis for the Guild Custom Shop models."
Ralf

I agree with Ralf. I believe my 1999 Custom Shop Finesse is a relative to the earlier DVs. It has special bracing which makes the sound deep, resonant, sustainable and mesmerizing.

Cheab

Reaction score
Ahh, don’t hate us. Really it’s your fault, low self esteem or something ��

Yes yes....it's my fault for falling prey to the likes of Sandy! Seriously though.........I love my D-25 that he sold me and it will stay with me until I'm gone. There's just something about it that I can't explain. It's old.....smells funny and has great action.......just like most of us here lol

Cheab

Reaction score
Ralf

Wow! Thanks for the info Ralf!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The DVs are a series of Guild dreads that are indeed sought after, and there's a ton of love for them here on the board. Guild is notorious for making model names that aren't mappable to anything, Cheab, but I recall someone proposing that DV was for dreadnought vintage.
All DV series guitars are in fact Dreadnoughts.
There were also JV 17" F-bodies and GV 16" F-bodies.
DV-52's got abalone rosettes ca '94, just like the high-end JF's and D55's, and sunburst became available as well.
And the original herringbone rosette was also an upgrade compared to the simple circles on every other model.
Original finish was satin, High Gloss was offered as an option by '96 at least and were initially called out with the "HG" on the label, "DV52NTHG"
Don't forget there were also DV-4, DV-6, and even the rare DV-25, all of which were flat-back 'hog bodies filling the D40 slot while that model was on hiatus in the early '90's.
DV-4 and -6 also originally came in Satin and got HG option around '96-7.
The bracing is different than the other dreads, and that may be true here with the DVs.
DV-6 got shaved bracing and AA top, DV-52 got scalloped bracing and AA top.
Ralf
Besides the bracing mentioned above, they also got (from same source Ralf cites):"...backs and sides that have been sanded down" and "mahogany necks and end blocks have been specially selected for light weight and superior strength"
I now think of these later DV's as D40's and D50's (DV-52=rosewood body) on steroids.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited: