Grover Rotomatic swap

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if anyone is unhappy with their Grovers, they do come with a lifetime warranty.
Lifetime warranties are only for the first buyer with original receipt. Not sure how this works if they are coming mounted on a guitar, wouldn't the guitar manufacturer be responsible in that case? But anyway, only for the original buyer and often only in the USA and not outside USA.
Ralf

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Lifetime warranties are only for the first buyer with original receipt. Not sure how this works if they are coming mounted on a guitar, wouldn't the guitar manufacturer be responsible in that case? But anyway, only for the original buyer and often only in the USA and not outside USA.
Ralf

yes and all they'll do is send me another ugly set of Grovers :)

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
Hope this thread hasn't expired - it raises a question that's been burning. The Rotomatics on my 1999 Starfire II are a little loose and it's a simple matter to put in replacements. But how does that affect the value of a guitar? I've heard lots of people say, "Don't do it!" My Starfire is absolutely mint and only six from the last Westerly Starfires produced. I'd hate to lower the value of it (if it has any at all).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hope this thread hasn't expired - it raises a question that's been burning. The Rotomatics on my 1999 Starfire II are a little loose and it's a simple matter to put in replacements. But how does that affect the value of a guitar? I've heard lots of people say, "Don't do it!" My Starfire is absolutely mint and only six from the last Westerly Starfires produced. I'd hate to lower the value of it (if it has any at all).

What do you mean by "loose"? If the tension is lighter on some, turn the screw in the center of the tuner button. That will tighten them up nicely.

If you've got legitimate gear wear, then replacing with the same tuners wouldn't bother me at all.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Rotomatics on my 1999 Starfire II are a little loose and it's a simple matter to put in replacements. But how does that affect the value of a guitar? I've heard lots of people say, "Don't do it!" My Starfire is absolutely mint and only six from the last Westerly Starfires produced. I'd hate to lower the value of it (if it has any at all).

Hello Steve,

The dating information you've gotten about your Starfire is not correct; it was made during the year 1998 and the model was made for a few more years.

As far as the tuners are concerned, have them checked by somebody who knows what he is doing and if they don't work properly, which is something I can hardly believe, replace them with the same make and model; it should not make a difference for the value!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Grover will repair or replace regardless of whether you're the original owner or purchaser. I could be mistaken but we discussed this quite a bit way back when. This is what they say on the package when you buy new ones.......

scan0001zq.jpg

I believe you contact them first, they give you a return authorization number, then you send them off. I'm almost sure. Granted, Parker didn't want the Grovers so who cares, but if you're okay with them and it's just a mechanical issue...... :encouragement:

Last edited:

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
The dating information you've gotten about your Starfire is not correct; it was made during the year 1998 and the model was made for a few more years.

Hans, I certainly defer to your expertise on dating. But walk me through this. The website on dating Guild guitars says, for 1997-1999, "STARFIRE II AG300001 to AG301083". My S/N is AG301077. That seems awfully close to the end. What am I missing?

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I did tighten the screw in the center of the button for the loose ones, and that worked, although every one is fully tightened now. Didn't realize there was a tension adjustment - this is my most recent guitar and none of my other guitars have Grovers. But I do like them.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The website on dating Guild guitars says, for 1997-1999, "STARFIRE II AG300001 to AG301083". My S/N is AG301077. That seems awfully close to the end. What am I missing?

Hello Steve,

Not only you missed something; I did miss something as well. Because of the 'comma' in the model designation I misread your serial number and thought it read # AG301677. So the correct serial number is # AG301077; that makes it an even earlier guitar than 1998.

The last number given in the 'official' list, # AG301083, is not the last number for 1999; it's the last number for 1997, which makes your Starfire II a model from 1997.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
To put it simply, the online serial number chart is wrong. Hans is really the only reliable source of dating information for Guilds.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I think Grover will repair or replace regardless of whether you're the original owner or purchaser. I believe you contact them first, they give you a return authorization number, then you send them off.

Tom is correct, as usual! I've returned several bad Grovers over the years. Didn't have the original receipt and wasn't the original owner of any of them.

I do keep the packaging on Grovers I purchase new, in case Grover asks for it, but they never have.

You just write them at their website; they reply with a return authorization number; return the bad tuner; a new one arrives in about a week. The only thing you're out is the shipping.

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
Hello Steve,

Not only you missed something; I did miss something as well. Because of the 'comma' in the model designation I misread your serial number and thought it read # AG301677. So the correct serial number is # AG301077; that makes it an even earlier guitar than 1998.

The last number given in the 'official' list, # AG301083, is not the last number for 1999; it's the last number for 1997, which makes your Starfire II a model from 1997.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans, thank you so much. I need to be much more wary of what I see online.