Guild D-40 Fingerpicked

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sitka:
You are, probably, one of those who could fingerpick a Wal-Mart $29.95 and make it sound good.
I have a 1971 D40 and I, too, love the sound of it finger picked.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice little progression. Darn good sound for playing into a phone!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll do an A/B with a Gibson just for comparison.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice stika! D40s are the best. And I do like a good J45 too, so would enjoy a sonic comparison.

Reaction score
I've been fingerpicking my '65 D-40 since buying it new in '67. Always sounded fine to me, even after I acquired guitars conventionally thought to be more fingerstyle-friendly (for example, a Goodall Standard). In fact, the Guild remains one of my go-to guitars for slack key.

highwayman

Reaction score
Sitka, nice picking!!

I am doing fingerpicking style with all my Guilds, and it works for me. Some material even calls for a fingerpicked dread, in my opinion. Sure some stuff works better with a 46mm nut, but Guilds do great job with only 43mm. The sound is great, and the sound counts.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
did you record them differently? the d40 is way more resonant and loud. cool!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
No, I recorded them both on my iPhone for equal microphones. I would expect the Gibson to be a bit softer as it's a smaller body, but it def has a more present bass thump on the root notes.

I actually played a gig with the Guild last Friday. First gig ever playing acoustic guitar, I'm usually and electric player. We did an acoustic version of Torn, and actually all these fingerpicked passages are the chord progression of the chorus :) My vocalist preferred the Guild to the Gibson as it suited her voice better.

Last edited: