Well, I know it's a mess, but I decided to give it a home and salvage. NGD 1973 D35

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is shipping out to me today, will get it sometime next week. Will do what I can to make it more playable for me, and have a local repair shop that can help with lowering saddle etc. I do plan on staving off the neck reset for a couple 3 years, and I am good at doing that :). The Br did not get a reset done till like year 3, so I am confident I can do the same with Jalopy. Oh, that is what I am calling it...

Pics are from the reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/20232932-guild-d-35-dreadnought-1970s-acoustic-guitar

The seller and I had some great rapport, I helped him properly identify the old dread, he first had it listed as a D50. The serial number according to Guild serial number site ( I know, I know, we just never really know, but Hans will) locks it into a 1973 build year. 93950. He was selling for a friend and I wanted to help out.

I was inspired by Neal's "Gallopy" from back in 2014 or 2016, I forget. While Jalopy is not in same state, it is pretty close.

The mojo factor is high on this one, and I really wanted a 2nd Guild dread (Westerly of course) to have lying around for when the kids get older and one of them gets the call to play. And I return to the same Guild dread state I had when I first joined the LTG. A D25 and a D35, both flat backs, the only difference being the top.

Ray, give me a couple weeks on the video bud. I need to get this pup into playing shape and that will take some initial work. :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Way to go Wood. Soundcloud demo when you get it talking like you want.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It always makes me happy when deserving guitars, cats and dogs find a new home where they will be treated well.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That looks like it's going to be a great guitar - congratulations!

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, boo on the Verb for that, silly...

We'll have to get this one into the D35 registry ;-)

I've got the same year, bought it on a lark, the guy's pics were really atrocious, turned out to be a gem. Took me a while to realize how good it is. A 4lb 5oz box of dynamite ;-)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new old wood!

I hate when reverb won't show you a sold guitar!

Not sure if you tried this but go to your reverb account , settings , then purchases . Open up your guitars info and link the page . 🙂

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure if you tried this but go to your reverb account , settings , then purchases . Open up your guitars info and link the page .
With a trick it still shows up in the sold listings, you can still scroll through some pictures but not open the listing anymore.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?quer...t|desc&make=guild&price_min=450&price_max=450

ciyvo8jvzxkh1sqdxhff.jpg
ysaejytsynboqcypeal0.jpg
d4u4uyyro7krq5w25ygz.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tried to make a seven string?

That's gonna have Mojotone to the bone ;-)

What is that behind it, LP's?

You can look at this one and hear it already...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Tried to make a seven string?
No, but can't recall if it's a screw or the tell-tale sign of a Barcus-Berry Hot Dot.
Guild used 'em for a short time but I think that's too early, also, can't see its mate on the other side of the bridge.
What is that behind it, LP's?
A-yup. One could ID a couple of Smashing Pumpkins albums in the original listing.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, but can't recall if it's a screw or the tell-tale sign of a Bracus-Berry Hot Dot.
Guild used 'em for a short time but I think that's too early, also, can't see its mate on the other side of the bridge.

yeah, i wonder what that is too. bridge doctor? i get the jalopy sometime tomorrow, by 8 pm, so will be interesting to see what kind of shape it really is in. one of the tuners has been replaced with some other kind of tuner, dude said strings on it were wicked old, so here is my plan:

1. no need to wait 24 hrs to open the box. it is coming in from Los Angeles, It's warm enuff here. Besides the fact, look at it, it does not really matter :).
2. take strings off her and clean it up as best i can
3. put on EJ16s and adjust the TR (assuming it works) to bring the strings down as best I can
4. Play it
5. take it next week to this repair shop I know for a setup including saddle lowering
6. make a mental note about an eventual neck reset in 2023
7. Play it
8. write and record some instrumental and post to LTG as a sonic sample
9. no need for an updated NGD, this one is flying in under the radar
10. let my 5 year old play it too, see what she thinks

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
'long as she doesn't treat it like she treated Hans' book a couple-a years back.
:friendly-wink:

good point Al and thanks for the reminder. i will let the 9 year old play it, Abby can watch :)