Test track compares Westerly vs. Corona JF30-12

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, such as it is, here is a sound test that compares my new Westerly JF30-12 to my Corona JF30-12. The first clip is the Westerly, and on the same track, the second clip is the Corona.

You can see why I prefer playing with a rhythm machine. The Westerly clip started out way too slow and it's plodding. Not that well done, but I guess it'll work for the comparison. I wasn't sure what to do for a comparison. :stupid: Both clips are parts of a piece I've been working on. The Westerly clip is probably a bit too long, but whatever.

These clips were played into a Tascam DR05 set about a foot from where the neck meets the body, then imported into cubase for the fade-ins, placement onto a single track, and mixdown. No effects added.

Here's the link to the soundcloud track:

https://soundcloud.com/dccougar/westerly-then-corona

Let me know how you think they compare. :tiger:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey bud I'm having trouble playing your track what format you upload ? My other SC tracks and random selections play fine ????

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok they play on the app , weird lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Corona brighter then the Westerly , hard to tell really I thing you could benefit from some good mics a good interface and a good Daw oh you did say you have cubebase .

The coronas action is to low hehe or other are they the same builds wood wise ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Corona brighter then the Westerly , hard to tell really I thing you could benefit from some good mics a good interface and a good Daw oh you did say you have cubebase .

The coronas action is to low hehe or other are they the same builds wood wise ?

Think his Corona's got an ebony board (and bridge)on a 'hog neck, Westerly was a rosewood board/bridge on a maple neck .
The stalker is going home for the weekend now.
glee:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Think his Corona's got an ebony board (and bridge)on a 'hog neck, Westerly was a rosewood board/bridge on a maple neck .
The stalker is going home for the weekend now.
glee:

What's the body's ?
Dont forget to ask if your girl has a friend lol
Enjoy your weekend 😊.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The coronas action is to low hehe...

Good point, particularly when hitting it as in this piece. I do like to plug in, then I don't have to hit is so hard. :tranquillity:

...are they the same builds wood wise ?

They're both archback maples. The Corona top is AAA by the looks of it. The Westerly, probably not. It's got a nice bookmatched grain, but I can't see any silking. Whether that's masked by the blue finish or it's a AA, I couldn't tell ya.

The seller said he just had the Westerly set up with new strings. I thought it was a smidge high, and it gets higher down the neck, although the 12th fret is within a 64th inch of where it should be. As I'd mentioned, the ruler test down the fretboard toward the bridge came up about 2mm low. Otherwise, the neck's pretty straight and the action is a little high, which is good for those energetic pieces. :tiger:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Westerly sounds "better" to me. Maybe the reason is the higher action as you don't hear the strings bouncing of the fretboard. It sounds like a perfect studio guitar for recording. On the Corona one Ray was spot on, the strings hit the frets many times and hence there is too much going on in the recording...
Ralf