Happy Saint Urho's Day!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
For those non-Finn's among us, he is the patron saint of Finland, famous for driving the grasshoppers out of Finland and thus protecting the grape harvest :highly_amused:

Actually a celebration started in Minnesota...or the upper pennisula of Michigan, depending on which "legend" you believe, to inspire as much national-pride as the
Irish seem to have on SPD...and a day earlier so the drinking could start earlier! :rolleyes:

So tonight, or today...lift a glass to those who are Finns...or would be Finns...in memory of those ancient times. :very_drunk: :couple_inlove:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m lifting a glass. Well, a cup... of coffee.

To the grasshoppers! Did I do that right?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

Happy sait Urho's day to all US-finns, too.

Over here nobody knows about this, unless they have US-connections. I first heard of this 1975 in MN.

Somehow I think it has to do with our ex-president Urho Kekkonen, who was The Man back then.

I recall them MN-finns telling me the chant for driving grasshoppers was "Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen!"

Google translator : Grasshopper grasshopper, go from here to mouse!

That must be translation error, because to mouse would be "hiireen"

Hiiteen derives from HIISI - which in old scandinavian belief is sacred place. Like burial ground or holy grove or . . .

As long I can remember the meaning of the phrase has been "go to hell" - I sent correction proposal to Google translator. Might well be it never clears , while I'm being brutal and using word "hell" . . .

Wikipedia tells that origins are in MN at -50s

So happy whatever day. And tomorrow happy st Patrick's for all irish folks - and why not everybody else, too , while we're at it.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m lifting a glass. Well, a cup... of coffee.

To the grasshoppers! Did I do that right?

Howdy

The way humans are destroying the planet - lifting glass for grasshoppers seems like brilliant idea.

Cheers

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Nuuska. Let's all celebrate today!! The trash and recycles have been picked up and the bins have been stored already. Isn't that enough to be celebrating with?? :encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I texted my family the same thing this morning!

We are not Finnish, but for whatever reason my Dad was a big fan of St. Urho's Day. He was an elementary school principal and used to celebrate it with the kids...

walrus