A/B Guild D-40 vs Gibson J-50

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They both sound like you.

;-)

Both really nice guitars.

Went out looking local today, bunch of small shops.

There's a lot of guitars out there, but any that would be keepers are few and far between...

Last edited:

sitka.bc

Reaction score
They both sound like you.

;-)

Both really nice guitars.

Went out looking local today, bunch of small shops.

There's a lot of guitars out there, but any that would be keepers are few and far between...

Thanks, that's actually a good way of putting it. A player can make any guitar bend to their feel/playing style.

Now to look for a Martin to enter the fray (C)

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
They both sound like you

I think this is a good point. We endlessly obsess and debate which guitar sounds better and lose sight that it is the player that makes the instrument talk.

I hear all the time about what dog guitars that J-160E's that Lennon and Harrison owned were - yet all they did was create and record music for the ages with those guitars. I could care less whether a Guild or a Martin or anything else would have sounded better - it doesn't matter.

Sorry to be such a sour puss, but I cringe sometimes at these debates over Westerly Guilds vs. NH Guilds, Guild vs. Gibson, Guild vs. Martin, etc. etc. Play your guitar, enjoy them, enjoy life, create music . . .

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think this is a good point. We endlessly obsess and debate which guitar sounds better and lose sight that it is the player that makes the instrument talk.

Sorry to be such a sour puss, but I cringe sometimes at these debates over Westerly Guilds vs. NH Guilds, Guild vs. Gibson, Guild vs. Martin, etc. etc. Play your guitar, enjoy them, enjoy life, create music . . .
I was trying to formulate a response to this and then Grassdog did it for me.

We all carry on about the "absolute" sound that we want and ... I'm sorry. If ONE guitar satisfied all my needs guess how many guitars I'd have?

The thing is there will be guitars you DON'T like and there will be guitars you NEVER like, but in between the two..... there's a million guitars that fulfill a role in sound and in your life. That's all. Everyone keeps acting like there's an "ANSWER TO THE UNIVERSAL QUESTION" about guitar sound. Nope. There's mood, there's style, there's so many variables. Which is why I have a few very different guitars. Different brands, different woods, different building styles...... and honestly if one of them consistently let me down I'd dump it so fast. But they don't. Their differences are their badge of honor.

Remember, if I only liked one sound.... I'd only need one guitar. Why do you think there's six in my small arsenal, all in different tunings? And I rotate through, just for the variety!!

There's no this vs. that. That saying It's a competition. And if you prefer one, then good. Be happy. Personally, i like them all, pretty much.

Sorry, I'm in a mood tonight, and I hope y'all are happy and enjoying ALL your guitars!! I sure am...... the differences, and the similarities. All of it..... :encouragement::encouragement:

sitka.bc

Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't really put a "vs" then. It's just a comparison :)

I need a Martin now..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess I shouldn't really put a "vs" then. It's just a comparison :)

I need a Martin now..

oh i wouldn't feel bad about the vs. i always like a good fight. :) thanks for posting. two fantastic dreads.

cool hat.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'm with grassdog and davisman on this. My go to six string these days is a Gibson J-15. At a open mic night recently a player came up to play with, yeep a J-15. Could not have sounded more different than mine. We A/B'd then later and in my hands his sounded very much like mine. And, mine was a very different instrument when he played it.

Sure wood, bracing, finish, strings, all that stuff makes a difference, but the player has a huge impact.