Is the back of this 1970's Guild F-50 Brazilian rosewood ?

gotomsdos

Reaction score
Is the back of this 1970's Guild F-50 Brazilian rosewood(straight grain) ?

Hi, guys out there..
I've been looking for a Guild F-50 that is the closest to the one John Denver played, cause I've been a huge fan of him. I saw one yesterday. it says "1970's", "it's like BRW". but label and S/N not provided. But one of those pics provided shows that there are center bar and braces for the back of it, so the back should be solid.
Here's it:
1970s%20Guild%20F-50%20R%20birth%20place%20unknown_zps0nmkd6dx.jpg

Do you think it's BRW(straight grain) ?

Here's the side:(Oh, ugly? and looks like EIR?)
1970s%20Guild%20F-50%20R%20birth%20place%20unknown-2_zpsbpezybhj.jpg

=================
And to give some reference to you, I'd like to upload the back of another F-50 (rosewood, made in R.I. and 1978 claimed), Here's it:
made%20in%20R.I.%201978_zps5icd20z4.jpg

made%20in%20R.I.%201978-2_zps7saalbuf.jpg

The back looks obviously like EIR.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're trying to post a photo, it's more difficult than that.... host elsewhere and create a link and then use the Insert Image link to post it here. Then we can see it. And then we'll let you know..... by 1970 it's "iffy" for a whole back. Try posting again.....

gotomsdos

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reply !
The reason for no access to pics, I guess, is that's Martin Guitar Forum and Chrome(Google browser) can gain no access to it. I don't know why. I use Firefox instead, no problem. Are you guys probably using Chrome? Try Firefox, please. Thanks in advance.
Dave.

gotomsdos

Reaction score
Oh, God !
Really ?!
All I can say now is I use Firefox 20.0 and 52.8, both OK access to UMGF. Anyway it'd be OK as long as you can gain access to UMGF.
Hope this help !
Dave waiting in anxiety...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, thanks for reply !
The reason for no access to pics, I guess, is that's Martin Guitar Forum and Chrome(Google browser) can gain no access to it. I don't know why. I use Firefox instead, no problem. Are you guys probably using Chrome? Try Firefox, please. Thanks in advance.
Dave.

To be clear, when I extracted (using my mad Moderator skills) the URL https://umgf.com/download/file.php?id=36209 from your post, UGMF told me I was not authorized to download the file. That typically happens when someone is not a member or not logged in to UMGF. It almost always has nothing to do the particular browser being used. So you really need to copy the pics from UMGF and host them somewhere else if you want to share.

I am often someone who needs to be told
Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
and in that spirit I will note that there will always be some uncertainty in identifying wood as Brazilian Rosewood from pictures. If you are willing to pay a premium for something that might be BRW but might not, then no problem, but if you are being asked to pay a premium because something is BRW then you need more validation than pictures. DNA testing of a sample is probably the most certain.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I went to UMGF and it told me I had to be a member to view the photos but I am not going to sign up. I can say that for sure there was a small batch of F50R's that were serial numbered as circa 1971 with Brazilian RW back and sides. The two I have seen were nicely figured Brazilian and not straight grained. Then in the mid to late 70's Guild used some very nicely Figured East Indian Rosewood on a few models including the D55, F50R, and D50 from the examples I have seen. It wasn't a limited run or anything, more along the lines of the wood stock they had at the time. I have seen folks claim those as Brazilian RW when in actuality they were East Indian RW. Anything after a 1971 date that was a production guitar is most likely EIR. They might have made a special order for an artist after that but I am not sure. Like Frono states above, the only way to be positive without documentation is to have a DNA test performed. I have a few Brazilian RW Guilds and some other exotic woods like Cocobolo and love them all as they are all Glorious instruments. They really have that "Grand Piano" tone quality to them. Best of luck and I am sure folks here would love to see photos if you can figure out how to post them.

TX

gotomsdos

Reaction score
Thanks all guys !
It occured to me that I have an account of a picture storage web(photobucket.com). Just uploaded. Updated IMG URL. Now you can see them !

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow that's pretty stuff ! 🙂

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....But one of those pics provided shows that there are center bar and braces for the back of it, so the back should be solid....

F50R - the back is definitely solid rosewood. Brazilian? I couldn't tell ya, but it's some gorgeous grain in any case.

Butch

Reaction score
The back in the first picture looks like Indian rosewood and the sides in the second picture look like Brazilian. I have an early 1970 F512 with Brazilian sides and an Indian rosewood back.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whatever it is it sure is nice looking

Butch

Reaction score
I saw the add for this guitar, and it’s located in Japan. If the sides are Brazilian, which they appear to be, you may not be able to import it. It may not clear customs.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm no wood expert, but my gut says that it's not Braz.

I don't think I'ver ever seen a piece of Braz that didn't wow me in some way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The back in the first picture looks like Indian rosewood and the sides in the second picture look like Brazilian. I have an early 1970 F512 with Brazilian sides and an Indian rosewood back.
I think what Butch said. Back looks EIR and the sides look Brazilian. And if there's any doubt and you're thinking of getting this guitar from Japan be careful, as Butch also said.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I sold a D55 to a member here that had sides just like the F50 pictured, with squiggly, bending grain and a marked color contrast. It was a '98 as I recall, and I'm sure it was EIR.

West

bobouz

Reaction score
The only reasonable generalization I've heard is that Brazilian rosewood leans more towards reddish hues, while Indian rosewood tends to be more brown in appearance.

That said, I've seen a fair amount of IR that drifted more towards red than brown!

beecee

Reaction score
The only reasonable generalization I've heard is that Brazilian rosewood leans more towards reddish hues, while Indian rosewood tends to be more brown in appearance.

That said, I've seen a fair amount of IR that drifted more towards red than brown!

Sounds like a definite maybe!

Glad that got cleared up!!