2018 D40 En Route

bronzeback

Reaction score
I posted a little while back about playing a new D40 Traditional at Sweetwater and how much I liked it. I got to wondering if the specs were different in Oxnard, besides the Sitka top and African Mahogany woods instead of Adirondack/ "genuine" Mahogany. This may have been covered before on this forum (couldn't find it in search), but I emailed Guild today asking about differences besides wood species and got this answer:

Yes - The Models are the same (Spec) except for the following:

1. Top Thickness – Oxnard .115” NH .125”
2. Side Thickness – Oxnard .090 NH .115”
3. Braces – Oxnard: NEW Shape and Scalloping (Lighter / Stronger) Per Master Luthier Ren Ferguson
4. Bracing Pattern – Oxnard: New layout per Ren Ferguson

I figured there were some build differences in the new plant so there you go. Oh, and I found a used 2018 at a good price online that's in the mail to me...NGD post coming next week. My NH D55 might be on the auction block I need to figure out if I can keep both!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I posted a little while back about playing a new D40 Traditional at Sweetwater and how much I liked it. I got to wondering if the specs were different in Oxnard, besides the Sitka top and Sapele woods instead of Adirondack/ "genuine" Mahogany.
Before I forget, congrats BB!
But Adirondack tops only applied to the "Bluegrass Jubilee" versions from Tacoma and New Hartford, otherwise the tops were traditionally sitka and in fact sitka-topped versions of the D40 were offered in both locations, in Tacoma as the D40 Richie Havens signature model, and in the "Standard" series in New Hartford.

This may have been covered before on this forum (couldn't find it in search), but I emailed Guild today asking about differences besides wood species and got this answer:

[FONT="]Yes - The Models are the same (Spec) except for the following:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#2B2E2F][FONT="]1. Top Thickness – Oxnard .115” NH .125”[/FONT]

[FONT="]2. Side Thickness – Oxnard .090 NH .115”[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2B2E2F][FONT="]3. Braces – Oxnard: NEW Shape and Scalloping (Lighter / Stronger) Per Master Luthier Ren Ferguson[/FONT]

[FONT="]4. Bracing Pattern – Oxnard: New layout per Ren Ferguson

I figured there were some build differences in the new plant so there you go.

Yep, I don't recall that kind of stuff ever even being disclosed by Guild before, great stuff and thanks!
That bit about redesigned bracing in particular might explain why Oxnard doesn't offer any adi tops.

Last edited:

bronzeback

Reaction score
Before I forget, congrats BB!
But Adirondack tops only applied to the "Bluegrass Jubilee" versions from Tacoma and New Hartford, otherwise the tops were traditionally sitka and in fact sitka-topped versions of the D40 were offered in both locations, in Tacoma as the D40 Richie Havens signature model, and in the "Standard" series in New Hartford.

Yep, I don't recall that kind of stuff ever even being disclosed by Guild before, great stuff and thanks!
That bit about redesigned bracing in particular might explain why Oxnard doesn't offer any adi tops.

Yea that's what I'm referring to the Adi Topped Bluegrass Jubilee from Tacoma and NH. Kinda confusing with the Standard and Bluegrass models but I get your drift.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Oh, and I found a used 2018 at a good price online that's in the mail to me...NGD post coming next week....

Kind of a, oh by the way, there BB? LOL! New guitar acquisition is typically a bit more exciting than that! :tiger:

As in, major contrats are in order! I expect that to have some special tone, otherwise it's just a straight ahead dread. :eek:nthego:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome congrats 👏 if get a chance poke your cell phone down inside and take some pics of the bracing ! 😁

bronzeback

Reaction score
I've had for over a week now. She came in as advertised with a small neck ding, otherwise mint. Tight bass, super loud when I get on it. Just sweet as can be. I had a 2012 Adi topped version not long ago and I gotta say, the Sitka lacks for nothing on this box. Sound check below too.

Wq3ZxeK.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bronze:
Sounding fine on your D40. Clear notes booming and you do it proud!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow that scalloped bracing is nice and the build quality is solid, great pics