A couple of questions about F-30 Paul Simon played in 60-70's

gotomsdos

Reaction score
===
I try using LTG search function, in more than one way, but the results out do not seem to be what I'd like. So gotta launch a thread, sorry. Let me know please if there have been closely related threads.-
=====

I'm looking for further info about F-30 Paul Simon played in 60-70's. I read he played more than one F-30(a Brazilian rosewood F-30 included). And Hans' Guild Guitar Books says 1967 F-30 Special and regular F-30R(1973-1975). And what's interesting is that, Forum member DCannon says he has a 1972 Guild F-30R, and has "1972 Guild F-30R" in his signature. A F-30 R Prior to 1973 ? Really ? Regular or Special ?

Now my questions:
1, Hog F-30 ?
Does it suggest that Paul publicly played a F-30 with mahogany back and sides as well before his 1967 BRW F-30 Special ?

2, Does a regular F-30R(1973-1975) have BRW back and sides?
There's one sold on Reverb:(BRW back and sides claimed)
https://reverb.com/item/7588253-guild-f-30-r-paul-simon-specs-1974-natural

3, Market rarity of F-30 Special(around 1967?) ?
1967 happens to be my birth year. And I like Paul Simon very much. So I'm looking if I can find one...I'll launch a wanted thread in wanted area to try my luck.
If a regular F-30R(1973-1975) does not have BRW back and sides(very probable), then gotta turn my eye to a F-30 Special (around 1967?) Oh, you know, it should be extremely hard to see one for sale.
And if it's no reality to get a BRW F-30 (Special or 1973-1975), then what's the closest F-30 R model to Paul Simon's F-30 Special ?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Dave.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someone here can tell you the secret of how to use Google search on LTG. It's very effective and you can find these topics and all these threads that have been discussed many times before. I always forget how to search, but then it's not me looking for somefink......

Ask and it shall be revealed to you.......

bobouz

Reaction score
I have a '73 F-30R, which was the first year of the "small-jumbo" shaped rosewood version.

Don't know whether the back or sides are BRW, and have never really been concerned with trying to verify one way or another. It has been mentioned on the forum that in the early '70s, Guild did occasionally use remaining pieces of BRW for backs and sides. Perhaps Hans will come along & shed more light on all of this & answer some of your questions. He has specs & photos of my guitar in his database, and I would imagine many others of this particular model.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
===
I try using LTG search function, in more than one way, but the results out do not seem to be what I'd like. So gotta launch a thread, sorry. Let me know please if there have been closely related threads.-
=====

I'm looking for further info about F-30 Paul Simon played in 60-70's. I read he played more than one F-30 (a Brazilian rosewood F-30 included). And Hans' Guild Guitar Books says 1967 F-30 Special and regular F-30R(1973-1975).
Yes pretty sure he had more than one F30.

=== And what's interesting is that, Forum member DCannon says he has a 1972 Guild F-30R, and has "1972 Guild F-30R" in his signature. A F-30 R Prior to 1973 ? Really ? Regular or Special ?
Dcannon's threads were some of the best regarding F30's, I considered him very credible and can't recall anybody else who was as big a Paul Simon fan.
Best suggestion for confirmation of build date is to ask him how knows, via pm (private message here on board).
Suspect he did it by s/n but there may have been a date on a top brace.
Remember they didn't do things by calendar year so it's entirely possible they built "R"s in '72 before they were officially announced in catalogs or price lists (especially since they already had history with the "specials") and some of those dates Hans cites are derived from those sources.

===

Now my questions:
1, Hog F-30 ?
Does it suggest that Paul publicly played a F-30 with mahogany back and sides as well before his 1967 BRW F-30 Special ?

2, Does a regular F-30R(1973-1975) have BRW back and sides?
There's one sold on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/7588253-guild-f-30-r-paul-simon-specs-1974-natural
I'd say if you see pics of him with one in early '66 or earlier it's gotta be 'hog.
"IIRC" he was at least one of, if not the guy who asked 'em to build rosewood specials.
As for Brazilian in '74 or later I'd be pretty surprised.
I'd bet against it on a game show.
Recall the discussion in your other thread about the '74 F50, their supply of Brazilian suitable for backs/sides was getting very skimpy by '74 such that they were producing guitars with mixed wood even prior to that.
But who knows, maybe they still had blanks sized suitably for F30's?
I can't recall any Brazilian from '75 or later ever being credibly ID'd on any model with the exception of bridges and fretboards, for which they had suitable stocks well into the '80's.
===
3, Market rarity of F-30 Special(around 1967?) ?
1967 happens to be my birth year. And I like Paul Simon very much. So I'm looking if I can find one...I'll launch a wanted thread in wanted area to try my luck.
I'm not even sure Hans knows how many were made because specils weren't always documented as such, but suspect they would have been Braz in '67 and he may know for sure if that was the "standard" rosewood stock for 'em at the time.
Here's something else to consider:
Westerly was in production in '67 and although their first models were known to be M20's, it wouldn't surprise me if F30'swere built there during '67 too, because it was a high-demand instrument and Westerly was bought with precisely that capability in mind.
Hoboken and Westerly were actually both in production simultaneously in at least '67 and '68, just can't recall if Hoboken was still actually producing at all in '69.
Hans may know the answer to that as well, but more to the point suggest running any pieces you find by him for a confirmation of build date/location at least.
I suspect he'd be more than happy to help on instruments like those, you may even contribute new finds to his database.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
bb, can you post a pic of this gem here?

GA -

I've never got the hang of posting pics here, but if you PM me with an email, I do know how to send them that way.

Guess I've got a subconscious goal of remaining somewhat computer illiterate!

Bob

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Proof....
Guild headstock in the first 1/2 second.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Zu8kK5l74
Right, but that's '68 so rosewood-bodied "F30 Special" is entirely possible, OP was wondering if he ever had 'hog-body F30's , and I don't remember.
A clip from '65 or very early '66 would most likely have to be a 'hog body, though, assuming it wasn't an original formula arched maple back.
:glee:
:friendly_wink:
Edit: on a quick google image search for "Paul Simon 1966" just now, couldn't find pics with anything but Martins.
Gonna leave further digging to others.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bobouz's '73 F-30R

Sorry for the wait, springtime craziness...

Enjoy ;-)

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
GA - Thanks for posting pics & dealing with the large file size!