What do they mean?

beecee

Reaction score
From the Westerly Guitar site description of the G-312. Typo is theirs.

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/g312.html

The entire acoustic spectrum is at your fingertips - particularly when you expore the inventive tuning possibilities that this 12-string suggests.

What inventive tunings are suggested, (or unique) by this particular model?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Think they just mean whatever you come with as it inspires you to be creative .

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well they are quoting a catalog so the text was probably written by someone who didn't really know what they were talking about.

I don't know what "inventive" would mean in this context unless they were referring to the idea that you could actually tune a Guild 12 to concert pitch AND LEAVE IT THERE!!!! Given the tendency of folks to tune down a step (something I don't think is needed but since it is just my opinion vs. "theirs" ...) this might be inventive.

I can't imagine a model specific inventive tuning unless this model changes the "order" of the octave strings. Seems to me the Doyle Dykes 12 did this.

Good question!

beecee

Reaction score
Seems to me the Doyle Dykes 12 did this.

I believe so as well.

Thank you sir. Wasn't sure what I was missing all these years and I figured if it worked on a 12 string version of the D-50 I could apply it to most any dread 12 string.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably just marketing talk, but there are plenty of acoustic artists from that era whose used some unusual tunings...CSN and Zepplin come to mind.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
particularly when you expore the inventive tuning possibilities that this 12-string suggests.
What inventive tunings are suggested, (or unique) by this particular model?

As others mentioned probably just marketing hype and "this 12-string" actually should have read "12 string guitars suggest".

You want "inventive tunings"?
Pretty sure Kottke was known for 'em but of course he wasn't a Guild guy.
Tim Buckley was and he used at least a couple of open tunings as well; but not dreadnought bodies:
http://timbuckley.net/guitar_tabs/dream_letter1/buzzin_fly.shtml.
And then there was Ralph Towner who was just hitting critical mass in '75, but his go-to's were F212's and F512's which he actually special ordered for custom nut width.
From here:
https://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-and-its-tools-ralph-towners-guild.html
"This twelve strings sound, often obtained with weird non-unison octave tunings, is so unique that only one note is enough to recognize it."

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And then there was Ralph Towner who was just hitting critical mass in '75, but his go-to's were F212's and F512's which he actually special ordered for custom nut width.
From here:
https://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-and-its-tools-ralph-towners-guild.html
"This twelve strings sound, often obtained with weird non-unison octave tunings, is so unique that only one note is enough to recognize it."

I cannot begin to understand what he does - his skills are so far beyond my understanding that it is indistinguishable from magic for me. I have seen Andy McKee live, and I understand what he does. I do not understand what Mr. Towner does.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on why "this one suggests" something another 12 string doesn't, but dropped D, open D, open E, open G are probably just a few of the usual suspects.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't comment on why "this one suggests" something another 12 string doesn't, but dropped D, open D, open E, open G are probably just a few of the usual suspects.

I did put the JF4-12 in "Bruce Palmer Modal" tuning (low to high: E E E E B E - used his band mate Stephen Stills in "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes") a couple of times and it was an awesome wall of sound. Totally worth the time required to tune to it.