Have a question on fan fret .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience with them ?
I've been wanting one for awhile now .
I have noticed which I'm hoping someone can explain why there's different types of Fran fret but I can't find an explanation for.

The guitar I'm looking at is a Eastman and it seems the the bridge is in a pretty standard position. The frets are fanned from the nut but convert to a standard alignment at the upper end .

On other guitars even a ibanez has the frets fanned at both ends along with a fanned bridge . I don't no what call the bridge but fanned works lol

Ok so info me away ! 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh please move the thread if it's in the wrong place . Thanks :)

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Yet more attempts at intonating the unintonatable guitar...just like microfrets and buzzy feiten...or a piano's tempered tuning...some of the notes some of the time...never all of the notes all of the time.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I found a discussion over on AGF. Post #5 seems to explain what you’re asking about.

Hmm...now I’m headed down the rabbit hole.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139593

Thanks for the link . So there doesn't seem to a set way to do fan frets .

I'm trying to picture finger positions up the neck with the fanned frets . I'm not sure if it's a more natural shaping for the fingers or not . Lol

Anyone here have one ?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I looked at that conversation. I felt funny about them saying that the bass string sounds tighter compared to same guitar with normal frets. The bass E-string was about 1/2 inch longer than D or G string - and high E-string was about 1/2 inch shorter. That again made "a noticeable difference" in something. Where do they fetch the "normal" guitar for comparison ? Is there a guitar made in large quantities with normal and fan fretboard being only difference?

Now someone who has studied the effect of small string length variation to sound may explain what is the difference, if we simply choose right gauge strings instead of rebuilding the fretboard.

Like this
10 - 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46
vs
9 - 12 - 17 - 26 - 38 - 50

I just pulled random numbers to demonstrate the idea.

In their talk they refer to piano - but piano has 7 octaves of free strings and no frets.

And then Joni Mitchell had all those 5 George Bensons set with different strings to fit different tunings.

Of the ergonomics I have no opinion.

Please correct me . . . I'll listen and learn.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gee I don't know - the standard fretboard has worked well for me for several decades - with great intonation.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've always thought fanning the frets has more to do with playing feel than any intonation advantage. I know (slightly) someone who likes fanned frets and have had a go on one. Felt very weird, though I'm told it's great once you adapt.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Hello

Except that ONLY fan-fret solution is given in "dropped D" case - instead of using thicker string.

EDIT

If you have two identical guitars - they use same strings and sound exactly same - If you capo one on first fret and use slightly thicker strings - can you hear the difference?

Practical problem with this might be, that it could be very hard to find right gauges.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've always thought fanning the frets has more to do with playing feel than any intonation advantage.

Proper playing position is the first pre-requisite for good playing feel:
pg_theorbo_on_mudflat_20140414_8206.jpg

"Fan this, suckah!"

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why would I want to adapt to something that would change the whole dynamics of the guitar fretboard for me?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello

Except that ONLY fan-fret solution is given in "dropped D" case - instead of using thicker string.

EDIT

If you have two identical guitars - they use same strings and sound exactly same - If you capo one on first fret and use slightly thicker strings - can you hear the difference?

Practical problem with this might be, that it could be very hard to find right gauges.

I think he's saying that you or I might need/want the tonal sound of low E in a desired scale length.

In a alternate tunings ,
The lows might sound muddy or just ok in a 25" scale and the highs in the same 25" scale sound great but if you add length to low E making it a 26" scale it sounds great . Now if the high E was in the 26" scale it would have a higher maybe tinner/thinner sound , he uses the banjo sound as a example.

So the way to solve this is have fanned frets which keeps the string at it's optimal scale length to produce a pleasurable sound in different tunings .

Fanned frets also help with the intonation , as you lower the strings the intonation talks a walk to , totally without our permission ! on a standard fretboard . Lol
It's worse on short scale guitars .

So the fan fret fixes those issues or helps to fix those issues so we can open tune to our hearts content without worry.

Lastly is the economics giving your hand/fingers a more natural position.

Win win .

Which I hoping to experience. 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Why would I want to adapt to something that would change the whole dynamics of the guitar fretboard for me?

You don't have adapt it's just an option .
If you or anyone tries it you might play it without noticing the fret configuration.

Many say it's more natural feeling and you'll play the same as always .

But I'm not first hand with this that's why I'm asking if anyone has played one and if anyone could explain the difference between a fully fanned fret and a halfway fanned fret finger board . 😁

marius

Reaction score
But I'm not first hand with this that's why I'm asking if anyone has played one and if anyone could explain the difference between a fully fanned fret and a halfway fanned fret finger board . ��

I've not played one so I'm no help there, but in terms of the difference between a fully fanned -vs- a halfway fanned fingerboard, I am not sure there is one. The way I understand it, there should only be one fret that is perpendicular to the center line of the guitar.

If you're looking at a guitar with relatively little offset between the high E and low E scale length, and the perpendicular fret is towards one end of the finger board, then the fan is likely going to be pretty minimal and may look "normal" for much of the finger board, but it becomes more pronounced the further you travel from the perpendicular fret.
electro-acoustic-guitar-eastman-ac822ce-ff-fan-fretted-ga-model-w-cutaway-inc-100-professional-setup-added-value-1_1024x1024.jpg

If on the other hand you have a larger offset, and a perpendicular fret towards the middle of the board, the fan is obvious throughout the board.
6042502.jpg

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

And it might well be that there is NO fret perpendicular - the point could well be between frets.

Would be interesting to test - I have no time for this - if you have a ginny-pig guitar - strap/bolt/attach the body on workbench - set microphone of good quality on a stand and do not move it before all is done - put a string of gauge X on it and strum with a pendelum-pick- this is to get repeat accuracy - record the sound - put capo on first fret - tune to same pitch - repeat and record - second fret - third, fourth and so on. Now put another string of different gauge - tune to same pitch and repeat - record everything with different string gauges. Compare the sounds. Surely the extremes should be easily detected, when compared right after another - but the rest - I am maybe too technically oriented to see nothing but snake oil in this - that might be too harsh - fad might be better word- but like I wrote in earlier post - if there is a valid proof, then I admit and stand corrected.

Again - ergonomics is totally out of my scope. Never tried one - would if there were one around . . .

Last edited:

marius

Reaction score
And it might well be that there is NO fret perpendicular - the point could well be between frets.

Good point, but since fret slots are typically measured from a common perpendicular line across all strings (the nut end of the fret board) then I'd suspect the fret slots for a multi-scale guitar are also measured from the one common perpendicular line. You could surely do it from a point between frets but I'd think the physical reference point of a slot would make it easier. For the sake of argument though, the point might also be the nut or saddle.

Would be interesting to test - I have no time for this...i am maybe too technically oriented to see nothing but snake oil in this

I'd be interested in that test. I certainly don't have the time, resources or knowledge.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok well I have one coming so .......

Ok the scale was shown only partly where I got my info on this guitar .

I read it as being just 24.75 which I thought was weird but I let it go anyway the scale is 25.5" Bass Side 24.75" Treble Side.

Now what my other peeps say is that if the scale difference is over an inch between the two more adjustment by the player might be needed but if less then inch as shown above it's almost unnoticable but I digress . Lol

So it will be an interesting experience to say the least but it is special order so .... Not sure when it arrive . It is the Eastman model posted above and Eastman says they only make so many a year and I need to get on the list . So my inside guy got lucky Eastman had one last model available though there's one or two dealers that has one listed best I can find.
Also besides being Eastman's Flagship guitar, there words not mine , they are all hand built and if I'm reading right even the finger boards are done by hand as well no CNC work .
But please do not qoute me on that as always the" Disclaimer" lol