Westerly DV6

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Are there any owners or ex-owners of a Westerly-made DV6 on this forum? There are 2 for sale of Reverb and since I'm in the market for a new guitar (I'm a Westerly snob!), I'm curious as to how these guitars sound and play. I've heard good things about them and know they are basically a shaved-down/lighter version of the D40. One of the guitars on Reverb has on-board electronics with the volume and tone knobs on top of the upper bout which I could make good use of. Would rather have a DV52 (l love the rosewood sound) but I am tempted. What say ye'??
thanks,
Tony

'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D25 12 string
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait for that DV-52 to come along...you won't be sorry. Another stellar rosewood dread; the Tacoma built D-50, essentially the same as the DV-52.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tony:
I have dealt with Richard and if the DV6 you are looking at and considering is his, let me steer you toward his equipment. First rate fellow with first rate guitars.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I have a DV6, purchased when new by a Guild Westerly employee as a gift for his son, from whom I bought it. (He never learned to play guitar, so it basically sat in its case. And it shows -- the guitar is mint.)

I have a few other DV series instruments -- a DV52 and a DV72. The DV6 isn't quite on par with either of them, but it's no slouch either. These are no-frills instruments, but they play and sound great (or at least mine does).

If the price is right, I'd give it / them a shot.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
That's my DV 6 on Reverb. I love the DV 52 but you really can't compare the sound of that to a DV 6. Pretty much apples and oranges. I love 'em both, they just both give you different tones.

https://reverb.com/item/21770526-1997-guild-dv-6-burst-electronics-ohsc

$925 + shipping to any LTG member.
Hey Richard, small world. Just a quick question about the on-board electronics: is the pickup just an under the saddle PU or is there another component? Also, does the tone knob actually do it's job, i.e.: give a wide ranging degree of tone? It looks like a nice guitar although those tuners are a bit tarnished!
thanks,
Tony

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I still can't can't get over how some people can't get over minor natural tarnishing of guitar parts while other people, like me, actually prefer it and there is a HUGE market in the vintage/worn look.

I personally can't stand the look of anything unworn or brand new, it doesn't go with anything I own, never has, never will.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I like 'em both ways but agree that typical play wear, tarnish etc. is not a deal breaker for me. I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. In fact, I'd say it's pretty rare to find a 20+ year old guitar with zero wear. And, I will say most every Guild I've ever owned with Gold Grovers have shown tarnish as time went by. To each their own though. I'm certainly not here to judge.

bobouz

Reaction score
My '92 D-6nt-hg was purchased used, but it arrived in near mint condition - just a couple of very mild dimples in the finish. At 27 years old, it could pretty easily pass for new. Even the gold plating is only mildly tarnished - but that's just dumb luck.

The quality of gold plating seems to vary tremendously. Sometime it holds up reasonably well, but on most instruments, if you just keep staring at it for a while, it'll deteriorate while you watch!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wait for that DV-52 to come along...you won't be sorry. Another stellar rosewood dread; the Tacoma built D-50, essentially the same as the DV-52.

Just some info. The Tacoma built D50 is a nice RW Dread but completely different from a Westerly DV52. The Tacoma D50 has an Adirondack top, Adirondack Bracing, Tortoise Shell binding, Bone saddle and nut, different bracing design, lighter build,etc... The Westerly DV52 is a Sitka top with Sitka Bracing, different binding and materials, as well as bracing design. They are both great sounding RW Dreads but the only thing they really have in common is the Rosewood Back and sides and the Guild name on the Headstock.

On the original posters request for info on a DV6, I had a friend who used to play one regularly and it was a great sounding guitar. Personally I preferred the archback D25 Hog Guild dread tone but that was just my preference. Not a thing wrong with a DV6 if it is in good playing condition.

I can also vouch for Richard's guitars and shipping, etc... He is a real Stand up guy. Hope this info helps!

TX

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Well, I like 'em both ways but agree that typical play wear, tarnish etc. is not a deal breaker for me. I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. In fact, I'd say it's pretty rare to find a 20+ year old guitar with zero wear. And, I will say most every Guild I've ever owned with Gold Grovers have shown tarnish as time went by. To each their own though. I'm certainly not here to judge.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I'm sorry if some thought I was disparaging Richard and his gee-tars over my comment on the tuning pegs. It was very late when I wrote that and I was sleepy. It was simply meant to be an observation on the wear on the tuners, certainly not an attack. I know Richard's rep as an honest, excellent source of used guitars and I would not hesitate to buy from him. Think I'm going to hold out for a DV52 though; it's been my dream guitar for years.
Tony