Vermonter's Model 66 service thread

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently received Vermonter's new Model 66 amp. This is the one with 50L6gt power tubes, and has no power transformer. I'm still waiting for various parts to show up, but I will get the thread started at least. Pics in a bit, gotta go hump the mail.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Vermonter's Model 66 is pretty clean for it's age. Mostly. The grill is a flocked wire screen, similar to the first Guild amps. It's in spectacular shape, comparatively speaking. The amp may have spent time near the water, because the left bottom has considerable wood missing from the join of the left side and the bottom. I'll have to do a bit of reinforcement there. The covering is interesting - it's not the earlier tweed, or the later tolex, but a vinyl pattern. It has a clothlike pattern to it, with a subtle repeating oblongish subpattern. The texture is smooth, however. Zizala, (hope you are doing ok) has the exact same amp.

wpJgqNN.jpg

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is why you never let a harp player near your amp. The mainboard is detached and the amp has leaves and dirt in it. <rolls eyes>
All those sticky, dirty tubular capacitors on the front are going away, to be replaced by Mallories. One the back of the board are a number of cathode bias caps from 1953. Those too will go to live in a baggie, and the replacements will be moved to the front of the board.

KJwjJrN.jpg

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the outlines of the dirt and harmonica spittle, you can see the outline of the trunk handle that Guild used. Fortunately, the identical handle is still available at Brettun's villiage. The control panel with be cleaned and turtlewaxed to prevent rust.

sZEdoCx.jpg

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The speaker seems to be the youngest part on the amp, which is not surprising to me. In The Guild Book, Hans mentions that employees of Guild spent a lot of time in the surplus district. The construction techniques and materials vary widely, even between the same model. In any case, the speaker is an 4 ohm RCA 12" speaker from the 25th week of 1954. I wouldn't trust that speaker to handle much volume, so I would suggest something like this Warehouse G12Q, sometime down the pike, or a vintage 4 ohm Jensen.

ntVXjgL.jpg

Last edited:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you going to run that with an isolation transformer?