Help with my 65 Capri

Karl

Reaction score
Just got a 65 Capri. 3 problems. Selector switch in middle setting with one pup at 0 still plays the other.....neck pup quite a bit less loud than bridge.....and neck tone pot acts like another volume....help!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG Karl! Keep patient, the first 5 posts of new members are moderated, so do not wonder if they take some time to show up. Meanwhile I am sure somebody has ideas what to check first. If you want to post pictures of the guitar you have to host them like on IMGUR and post the link here. You can't upload directly to LTG.

Ralf

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Just got a 65 Capri. 3 problems. Selector switch in middle setting with one pup at 0 still plays the other.....neck pup quite a bit less loud than bridge.....and neck tone pot acts like another volume....help!

A rewire is not complicated stuff. also, in the 60s lots of funny wiring was going on. There is a way to wire the pups so they are independent and killing the volume of one won't affect the other in the centre position. The obvious thing to do is either you or a tech pulls the wiring and checks it, including pot values etc. Changing pickup heights and pot values will help balance the pickups.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

If I understand you right, this is "coupled wiring" and is normal for many Guilds.

Some clarifying questions:

Do each of the pickups function normally when selected individually?

Does the middle position work and give the 2-pickup sound with all knobs on 10?

Karl

Reaction score
Tone pot on neck does not effect tone. Volume instead! So I have 2 volume knobs for neck.middle position does include both pups.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Tone pot on neck does not effect tone. Volume instead! So I have 2 volume knobs for neck.middle position does include both pups.

Just take it to be rewired if you're not on top of that yourself. It's a faff to get the pots in and out but it's an easy job and won't cost much. Alternatively just download a Les Paul wiring layout, it will work fine

Karl

Reaction score
We pulled it all out today, again.....and put a different neck pickup in....and the tone pot works! The output is so low that the the tone pot effects the volume. The bridge is 2x hotter.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's the DC resistance on the pup you removed? That might explain something...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Post a pic of the back of the pup, please! It might be original or it might have been replaced with a reissue.

Karl

Reaction score
But why the problem with the tone pot? For sure it is an original. We put in another humbucker in its place and the tone pot acted normal....

Karl

Reaction score
In the meantime I have gone to two techs with it and zero results. We have pulled the harness and all sorts of things but no luck. The neck pup sounds raspy and trebly, not very full and I notice the pole screws wobble.....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

If the tone pot capacitor is shorted, then the pot becomes full-range shunt - acting a bit like volume pot, but loading the pup more near 0.

Karl

Reaction score
How does a cap get shorted? And what about the wobbly poles?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

The cap itself may be shorted due age - or the wires are touching something they should not. And if for some unexplained reason the value of the cap has increased - usually they go down - it cuts off at lower frequencies - and that means less overall volume, too.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

The poles in the Antihum are not in individual holes in the bobbins, but sit in a channel. They are secured by the base-plate in the pickup. The only think that prevents them from wobbling are the threads in the base-plate, the holes in the cover, and friction in the bobbin channel. If any of those are worn I'd guess that the poles could move. From https://www.gad.net/Blog/2018/03/13/guild-antihum-mini-humbucker-pickup-teardown/

Guild-AntiHum-Mini-Humbucker-NoCover-1.jpg

Guild-AntiHum-Mini-Humbucker-Exploded.jpg

Karl

Reaction score
Thanks Gad. What is your thought about my prob? I notice in the middle setting with the tone of the neck at 0, I get a muted jazz tone. What I want. Leaving all alone and switching to neck only volume drops a ton and no sign of that muted jazz tone....maybe the selector switch?