Doyle Dykes signed on with Guild again!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now we know why Doyle was in Oxnard last week, the cat is out of the bag! Doyle signed on with Guild again! :encouragement: His time with Olson and Godin seems to be over as it sounds.

Watch his short video statement here: https://www.facebook.com/doyledykes/videos/336370267066248/

Also he wrote this morning: "Today I am back in the studio with my Guild guitars. What a wonderful time in Texas. Happy Star Wars Day."

59358935_10157323655308200_723017341524246528_n.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Love the guy but he switches endorsements faster than the Kartrashians switch husbands. That has to be frustrating to the companies. You spend all this time designing and producing special models, promoting them, only to have him switch to someone else. Oh well, that's a first world problem.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Love the guy but he switches endorsements faster than the Kartrashians switch husbands.
I am pretty sure he would have stayed with Guild if FMIC wasn't to sell Guild to CMG and closing the factory in New Hartford back in 2014. Now with the new factory running in Oxnard he seems to see the advantages to be back, and 2014 to 2019 were years when Doyle was looking for alternatives but obviously couldn't find something to completely replace Guild. Just my thoughts.
Ralf

dbirchett

Reaction score
I wonder if they will come out with a signature Starfire III with DeArmonds.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was indeed a hint on Instagram stories just yesterday (I didn't copy it and it's only visible 24h), but I assume a Newark St. Starfire III with DeArmonds, as they also said yesterday electric guitars in Oxnard are on their to-do list but they have to first ramp up sufficient acoustic volume from the factory, so they asked for "patience".

Plus that might have been part of the reason Guild posted that picture as well:

59328165_10156096869026105_1764866439191199744_n.jpg

On the acoustic side I don't see any Oxnard model fitting his needs currently.

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don, that's an interesting comment, but let's not forget that he was with Taylor for a good, long time before he started with Guild back in the NH days.

In all honesty, Doyle is too big for Godin and Olson. Even if he really liked their guitars and their history, it's a much better fit with Guild. I hope it's a happy, long marriage! Doyle is truly a gem and a fabulous ambassador of the brand. Welcome (back), Doyle!

There's a lot of good news here... Doyle was VERY hands-on with his signature-series in New Hartford. He was tight with Ren and probably the other "custom shop" guys as well. It'll be neat to see if Oxnard can actually produce guitars for him, as that would indicate the possibility of more custom models. Also, if he's gonna end up rep'ing Newark Street (MIK, that is), not that I'm saying he will, it'll be a great thing for the brand...

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's some news! It will surely be fun to see what guitars are produced to support Doyle's relationship with the new Guild.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I'd be all over that, but I hope they use a true Dynasonic design pickup and not the DeArmond 2000 (basically a P-90).

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd be all over that, but I hope they use a true Dynasonic design pickup and not the DeArmond 2000 (basically a P-90).
Wait a moment, the DeArmond model 2000 is also called the Dynasonic if I am not mistaken, you are talking about the FMIC designed 2K model witch is more like a P-90. Or?
Ralf

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, yes the nomenclature is confusing. The 2000 that Guild used on the X-160 Rockabilly was the P-90 design. The Dynasonic (to me) is the one that was used by Gretsch in the mid 1950s (and still used today by Gretsch) and used by Guild in the early 1960s.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Dynasonic" was what Gretsch called those pickups in their literature. That pickup was really a DeArmond 2000.

The Guild X160 Rockabilly model had a Fender-developed version of that pickup that had less output and smaller alnico pole magnets, and they also called that the 2000. (even though it wasn't made like an original)

The short lived FMIC "DeArmond" branded guitars used a pickup that looked similar and was called the "2K" pickup. That was the one that was vaguely similar to a P90 in construction in that it had bar magnets and steel polepieces. Didn't sound much like a P90 though.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Walter has it exactly right. Very confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that Doyle is back with Guild. The guy has 3 guitar companies that have built signature models. The only other artists that I can think of to have signature models with three brands are Johnny Smith (Guild, Gibson and Heritage) and Duane Eddy (Guild, Gibson and Gretsch). I guess you can include Chet Atkins in that with Gretsch Gibson and Epiphone but Gibson and Epiphone seem like one brand.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
endorsements typically do not limit musicians from playing or endorsing other brands. there is a chance he is still with Godin and also with Guild at the same time. Roger Waters has Godin, Martin, and Fender endorsements. those are just the ones i know about. Makes no difference anyhow, once a signature model is created...you have endorsed that brand for life, and beyond.

good work by the Oxnardian Guild to get Doyle back on board!

GuildInAtlanta

Reaction score
I'm thrilled to hear Doyle is back with Guild Guitars, and I take it as an encouraging indicator of the Oxnard management perspective. My experience is when you're building or reenergizing a brand you promote both legendary successes and new innovation. Doyle has been a highly admired player for maybe close to...40 years? I think he'll qualifies in at least one of those categories. :smug:

Hail to Doyle Dykes and fingerpicking skills, and cheers to Cordoba and the factory in California!

PittPastor

Reaction score
In all honesty, Doyle is too big for Godin and Olson. Even if he really liked their guitars and their history, it's a much better fit with Guild. I hope it's a happy, long marriage! Doyle is truly a gem and a fabulous ambassador of the brand. Welcome (back), Doyle!

Bigger than Phil Kaeggy and James Taylor?

Actually, I don't think Doyle was ever with Olson as a spokesperson (correct me if I am wrong). I think he just liked the sound of it and bought/was given one. I know he is pretty good friends with Phil Kaeggy. Phil hooked Paul MaCarthy up with an Olson... who knows. Olson has a backlog of like five years right now, so I doubt he even wants a spokesperson.

IDK what the Godin thing is. It seems they chased after him pretty hard originally. But, TBH, the Godins didn't handle his style. Every time he played for them there seemed to be a more shallow sound. IDK. Could just be the YouTube compression. But it never sounded like he did on the Taylor, Guild or, of course, Olson.

It will be interesting to see if Doyle releases a VLog explaining what's going on.

To my mind, notwithstanding the Taylor guitar coming first, Doyle has always been a Guild guy. So happy he is back! (I need to contact Guild and get them to OK my jacket design and then have one made for Doyle. Betcha he'd wear it.)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bigger than Phil Kaeggy and James Taylor? [ . . . ]

Excellent point, Pitt, but honestly, as an ambassador for the brand... yes. JT (and Phil too, I guess) are more famous, but I don't think they go around doing road shows for their brands. Am I wrong? I don't know, actually, as I don't own and haven't played any Olsons or Godins.

In any case, as was pointed out earlier, I don't know if Doyle has stopped pushing the other guys... All I can say is it's good to have him back. Maybe we'll even get to see him again at a future Guild event!!!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Excellent point, Pitt, but honestly, as an ambassador for the brand... yes. JT (and Phil too, I guess) are more famous, but I don't think they go around doing road shows for their brands. Am I wrong? I don't know, actually, as I don't own and haven't played any Olsons or Godins.

In any case, as was pointed out earlier, I don't know if Doyle has stopped pushing the other guys... All I can say is it's good to have him back. Maybe we'll even get to see him again at a future Guild event!!!

Yes, speaking as an ambassador I agree. I doubt JT is an ambassador for anything anymore -- he surely doesn't have to hawk anything. Ditto PK. usually when you get to that level, you don't push any gear at all. Although, I guess Mark Knopfler wrote a whole song for John Monteleone -- but I would think that was an exception.

Anyway, we are in total agreement on the fact that having DD back as a Guild ambassador is all good. However things are with Godin, I hope he left on good terms.