question on an X88 Crue

kakerlak

Reaction score
Hey look at that. That's the right headstock but a different logo. We're definitely getting closer! And they do call it a Crue model.
Now that I've removed both pickups, the bridge is a SD Custom Duncan. It says so on the base plate. I assumed the neck was too, but no. The neck is the California pickup. So it's original.
It has really nice Grover tuners on it too. I assume those came with it?
If anyone has an idea what the bridge route might be for I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone.

Got any more pics of the route? Any extra screw holes? Is there any original paint inside to give an idea what was original cavity and what was routed for the new vibrato? I'd tend to guess that, if it was a hardtail originally, there'd be filled stud holes outside the footprint of the aftermarket vibrato, but I might be underestimating how wide it is.

Reaction score
Got any more pics of the route? Any extra screw holes? Is there any original paint inside to give an idea what was original cavity and what was routed for the new vibrato? I'd tend to guess that, if it was a hardtail originally, there'd be filled stud holes outside the footprint of the aftermarket vibrato, but I might be underestimating how wide it is.

I'm with ya on the stud holes. There's no sign of anything like that. The original route has been modified. I'm not certain for what though. I'm beginning to think it was for a Kahler Flyer. It turns out that not all Kahlers are flat-mount. I found a template online that the extra screw holes (nice call on that one) and the shape of the route on the bass side match up with. And it does say right in that catalog that they came with "Kahler vibrato systems".

Thanks again for that by the way.

If a Kahler flyer is going to bolt right on then that may be my answer.
Although a refinish isn't off the table either, it's pretty rough on the points of the stars.

On another note if someone is in need of this California pickup it's available. It does work. I'll test it with the ohm meter and get a real number if anyone is interested.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another offset headstock X88 on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-X-88...r-Duncan-Kahler-Case-Rare-Pointy/183803844674

Different than OPs, but not spear-pointy like mine was.

s-l1600.jpg