NGD: Guild X-500T Blonde

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,

I been a long time reader, but this is my first post to the forum. I am an insane collector and have too many guitars to list. Most interesting readers of this forum is I now own three Guild archtops with the latest one arriving today. I own a 1966 Guild X-175 (built in Hoboken) and a Guild X-160 Rockabilly (Westerly). Today I received a Guild X-500T Blonde (Westerly). Been looking for one for a while and as you all know they are not so easy to find. The seller was a guitar shop on REVERB that said it was a 1995 built in Westerly factory, but I knew buying it that was likely not correct. Nearest I can tell it is a 2001 built in Westerly. The confusion for the seller was likely the spotty serial numbers from 1995. Serial number for this one is AK500066 (just a few away from the one that Gary (GAD) had.

The guitar is in Excellent condition and will need a bit of cleaning and I will likely swap out the strings as I think it has 10s on it. I would prefer 11s and may even put some half rounds on it like I have on my Gibson ES-295.

Pictures for the guitars are on my website.

Guild X-500T:
http://chasingguitars.com/guild-x500t/

Guild X160 Rockabilly:
http://chasingguitars.com/guild-x-160-rockabilly/

Guild X-175:
http://chasingguitars.com/1966-guild-x-175/

I am also a longtime Gretsch fan and own many (mostly modern not vintage).

Hope you like the pictures and if you have anything to share on these it would be very appreciated. Hans? Walter?

BTW, I own and love Hans Moust Book and can't wait for next edition with later Guilds. Love Walter Broes playing and lessons on TrueFire.

Stephen
ChasingGuitars

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Stephen, welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words!

You have some NICE guitars! Love the single coil Gibson hollow bodies too. And that X500T you just got is a particularly nice looking one, great color and beautiful maple on the back and neck.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fabulous page!

Regarding your X160 Rockabilly: Have you by any chance pulled the pickups? I'm thinking they might be 2ks as opposed to 2000s, but the only way to be sure would be to pull them and look at the back.

Reaction score
Fabulous page!

Regarding your X160 Rockabilly: Have you by any chance pulled the pickups? I'm thinking they might be 2ks as opposed to 2000s, but the only way to be sure would be to pull them and look at the back.

Thanks everyone!

I have not pulled them yet, but I have TV Jones T-Armonds on order. I wanted to swap them out and see if I like them better. The pickups have DeArmond USA written on the side. Let you know when I pull them.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heck of an entrance Stephen. Welcome!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You know how to make a first impression! welcome and congratulations on a gorgeous X-500t

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome! Great photos on your website! Beautiful guitars!

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Stephen, and wow, dig the back on that guitar!

X500T-11.jpg

My F50ce is a bit like that too, and I could get lost just gazing at it!

21307120786_dd76221b2f_b.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Guild, Congrats and Welcome to LTG! That looks like the X500T that was for sale at Dave's and posted here on the forum in the ebay/craigslist section a week ago. Sure is a pretty example.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, What is the string nut width on this one? Most of them I have seen were 1-5/8" which is great for some folks but too skinny for myself. I was just curious if there was any variation on this one with maybe a wider nut.

TX

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fabulous page!

Thanks for all the kudos.

I have taken a few pictures inside the X-160 Rockabilly with my iPhone that show the bottom of the pickups?

See them in the post here:

So do these look like 2000 or 2K? I see the DeArmond logo on them.

Reaction score
Beautiful Guild, Congrats and Welcome to LTG! That looks like the X500T that was for sale at Dave's and posted here on the forum in the ebay/craigslist section a week ago. Sure is a pretty example.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, What is the string nut width on this one? Most of them I have seen were 1-5/8" which is great for some folks but too skinny for myself. I was just curious if there was any variation on this one with maybe a wider nut.

TX

I measured it with a digital calipers and it was just short of 43 mm so it is wider that 1-5/8 and the X500T is about the same as the X160 Rockabilly. However the older '66 X175 is 1/5/8

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I measured it with a digital calipers and it was just short of 43 mm so it is wider that 1-5/8 and the X500T is about the same as the X160 Rockabilly. However the older '66 X175 is 1/5/8

Thanks for the info and I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come! I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks.

I couldn't find a X500T with the right neck width for me so I would up making my Dream X-500 out of a 2014 GSR X-500D and some Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple pickups along with a Gold USA Guildsby. It is my favorite Archtop.:chuncky:

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the kudos.

I have taken a few pictures inside the X-160 Rockabilly with my iPhone that show the bottom of the pickups?

See them in the post here:

So do these look like 2000 or 2K? I see the DeArmond logo on them.

Ooh - I missed those! Thanks for pointing them out. Yup - looks like 2000s. FWIW both the 2000s and 2ks say DeArmond on them.

The key is that the bottom of the adjustment... things... are showing through the bottom instead of the pole pieces.

X160-inside-01.jpg

Last edited: