Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gibson acoustics at GC

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Just occurred to me, could it have been due at least in part to being a short scale? (J45's are 24-3/4, right?)
    And to be clear I didn't mean to imply that all GC guitars must have been "average", only that they likely simply got shipped in larger lots and therefor odds of getting a "great one" may have been lower but certainly not out of the question.
    oh of course, all mfgs make duds now and again. From my experience, Guilds, Larrivees and Taylors are very consistent in build quality, while Martin and Gibson seem to struggle from time to time. I know the J45 lower bout depth was tough on Nic, and I was undergoing a 2nd left wrist surgery so I unloaded it. I regret it but I was not in a good frame of mind at the time, water under bridge etc. :) She does not play much anymore, and when she does, she plays the Br as she says it sounds closest to her gibby.

Really for Nic, and her size, the Martin 0-16NY (New Yorker) was the best fit. That really is the one she would say to you she would like to have back. I just like the sound of J45s :)
    Last edited by Westerly Wood; 05-21-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35--Jalopy

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

I used to want a J45, they do sound so great, but I've really come to love the F / Aught body shapes when they're not too deep. My Guild F40 and Martin 000-18 are keeping me happy and I don't play my D25 much anymore. I just sold my Gibson L-50, that was a fun little arch top. Other than the J200 jumbo I can't think that Gibson ever made a smaller flat top guitar in the F / Aught style. Did they?

Back to dreadnut's original post on new Gibson quality, I haven't looked at their acoustics for 2019 but I think they've got some good things happening with their electrics, though not cheap. There's a TV yellow LP Special for $1599 with a wraparound bridge that looks good to me.
    1960 F40 SB
    1978 D25
    GAD 5N
    Fenders/Gibsons/Martins/Teisco Del Rey

https://soundcloud.com/sal-inski

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Other than the J200 jumbo I can't think that Gibson ever made a smaller flat top guitar in the F / Aught style. Did they?
    Sal, don't understand "F/Aught" (F-O?), or do you mean "O" body as opposed to dreadnought? (That, I can understand)
    And not sure about "other than the SJ200"; which I see as a full 17" lower bout.
    Being a lover of 16" lower bout F-body like the F40, also known as "Grand Auditorium" in Taylorspeak, you got my curiosity up.
    A little searching comes up with the J-165 at 15" lower bout width, and even L-OO at 14-3/4" lower bout width in the "F" body style, assuming the folks citing the specs are correct:
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480291
    Interestingly I have a hard time finding those dimensions on Gibson's site.
    And at least a few members on the Acoustic Guitar forum who seem like they should know better seem woefully unaware that anybody besides Taylor offers (or "offered", right now) a 16" lower bout "F-body"...something Guild was offering (F40) right about the same time Bob Taylor was screaming about being so unceremoniously kicked out of the womb.
    I've also had members here suggest the J-185 in response to my ire over the lack of a current production Grand Auditorium/F-40 body from Guild.
    Is that what you were getting at, without getting into the relatives costs or quality issues?
    Last edited by adorshki; Yesterday at 04:34 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

adorshki, when I say Aught style I'm referring to the Martin 0, 00, 000, and 0000 that I think are very comparable to Guild's F series body styles. I can't think of a Gibson that had similar proportions. The Gibson J65 comes close but it looks like a mini jumbo and its body is deeper, I think 4.5 inches at the end pin compared to Martin/Guild at 4 inches. I've never held a Martin 0000 but I'd guess it's the closest thing out there to a Guild F40 in size and shape.

1960 F40 SB
    1978 D25
    GAD 5N

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    adorshki, when I say Aught style I'm referring to the Martin 0, 00, 000, and 0000 that I think are very comparable to Guild's F series body styles. I can't think of a Gibson that had similar proportions. The Gibson J65 comes close but it looks like a mini jumbo and its body is deeper, I think 4.5 inches at the end pin compared to Martin/Guild at 4 inches. I've never held a Martin 0000 but I'd guess it's the closest thing out there to a Guild F40 in size and shape.

Got it thanks, I figured that's what you meant and assumed the generic narrow-waisted look was what you were getting at as opposed to how close the actual proportions were.
    Yeah even the L-OO is a pretty different outline but the closest of the bunch.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I figured that's what you meant
    adorshki, I've never heard of the Martins referred to as Os, always aughts. Like a shotgun round 00 / double-aught or a rifle round 30.06 / thirty-aught-six. I think with the Guild Fs the aughts are the sexiest of all acoustics!
    Last edited by Sal; Today at 05:42 AM.
    1960 F40 SB
    1978 D25
    GAD 5N