Newark St. Starfire III

Aleph

Reaction score
Not really...

There's a wood block under that bridge (on the Starfire II) to hold it down. That's why they call it a semi-hollow instead of a hollow body.
I rather get the Starfire III and replace that bigsby. Also the Starfire III comes with a nice case, (the Starfire II doesn't even come with a bag), neck binding and most importantly a floating bridge on a piece of ebony/rosewood.

In a perfect world I would try them both at a store and see if that makes a real difference. No such luck here so my only option is ordering the guitar online. As it is I rather get the Starfire III.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, the NS Starfire II is a Starfire II ST (Stop Tail)

parker_knoll

Reaction score
After some experimentation I am convinced that a large part of the vintage Les Paul sound is the pots. I had an R7 that just sucked on the neck pickup until I swapped the post and then holy cow! 525k pots all around changed the entire character of the guitar.

GAD talks a bit in the review about the difference electronics make, and they really do. I'm waiting for the free Saturday where I reduce the pot values in my SFIII-90 and increase them in the Ric. I may actually directly swap them (Ric is 330k, SFIII-90 is 500k).