How to determine value of Guild F47 Serial #85033

Reaction score
I have done some searches and nothing seems to match what is listed for Model F47, Serial Number 85033. The only F47 I saw was in the 60s, but the serial number does not match charts. I am assuming year 1985 if prefix in serial number is right. I am going to bring up to Guitar Center for an appraisal, but curious what I should expect.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have done some searches and nothing seems to match what is listed for Model F47, Serial Number 85033. The only F47 I saw was in the 60s, but the serial number does not match charts. I am assuming year 1985 if prefix in serial number is right. I am going to bring up to Guitar Center for an appraisal, but curious what I should expect.
Hi Welcome aboard Ceverhart!

The "85" in that s/n has nothing to do with year of manufacture, and yes the charts themselves are confusing and even contain errors.
For the period your guitar was made, there were no breakouts by model, only the range of numbers assigned:
Drop down on the chart and look at the '73 range, which also happened to be last year of make of the first issue of F47's "IIRC"; as it was dropped and the F40 was brought back in '74 ("If I recall correctly").
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf
As for value, condition is EVERYTHING.
Not knowing how knowledgable you are about guitars, I'll just say there are a lot of things we look at to help determine value and not all of 'em are obvious to a layman, things like neck angle (not "straightness"); fret wear, finish condition, other issues of structural soundness.
Generally speaking Guitar Center isn't the best venue for appraisal, better suggestion is to look online for something like the Vintage Guitar Blue Book, and post some pics and get some feedback here.
Remember Guitar Center wants to buy the instrument at a price that allows 'em to make some money just like a car dealer, and that's understandable.
But it's going to affect their appraisal, it's going to be "wholesale" not "retail" unless they give you both numbers.
You can also check listings like this one on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/16396568-guild-f47-acoustic-guitar-f47-1973-natural
Also be aware of the fact that a new members' first few posts are vetted by moderators so your replies may take a while to show up.
But rest assured you have found the single best resource on the net when it comes to Guild guitars.
Why are you getting it appraised?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The SN #85033 corresponds to a build from 1973. According to Beesely's and Moust's books, the F-47 was introduced in 1964, and Beesely indicates it was discontinued in 1974. The best way to get an idea of value would be to check other sales, on eBay, GBase, or Reverb (or get an appraisel).

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum. Condition and originality are significant factors when determining value. Please let us know about the guitar's condition, and post pictures, if possible.

bobouz

Reaction score
Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville (George Gruhn) is one of the most respected dealers in the country. They can do an appraisal (for a fee) based on photos you send them.

If you decide to sell the instrument, their appraisal will be useful in the process. If you keep the instrument, it will be beneficial for insurance purposes.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I will post pictures tomorrow, appreciate the time and your knowledge.

Reaction score
Thank you to all the above posters, who took the time to help me out. To answer your questions and to post pics..

I was in the process of selling lots of misc. items on Ebay and Marketplace that have been lying around unused for years. I was using Google to determine going prices. This is when I discovered the Guild-F47 had some value and now trying to price accordingly, as well as interested in the history of it (which I found on this site). The chart "adorshki" provided does indicate the Model#850333 is a 1973.

Based on pictures I have seen online of similar guitars, I would say good/fair condition. The prices on Ebay, Reverb seemed to range from 750 to into the thousands. I am not knowledgeable about guitars, so yes a layman. That is why I decided, I better try to post on forums like this and take it to Guitar Center.

https://guildguitars.com/our-company/history-and-heritage/
https://reverb.com/item/23143774-guild-f-47-1972-natural (this is 1972)
https://trcrandall.com/products/1973-guild-f-47 (some history - called Bluegrass)

Here are some pictures of it. It is quite dusty, but did not want to try to clean it up and than devalue it, LOL. If I am not mistaken, I can not upload pics directly, so this is a link to my dropox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1i5bfaswbzn3fe5/AAD5HiKTKNjLKmO-M9k0-ku7a?dl=0

bobouz

Reaction score
Cathy, your pics do show up with the provided link. It's a nice looking F-47, but there are many structural issues to be examined when considering the purchase of an older guitar, and they will impact it's value if there are problems.

This is potentially a nice vintage piece, so it would be well worth getting it to a respected & qualified luthier for an in-hand assessment. Honestly, Guitar Center is a total crapshoot. You may or may not get someone who knows what they're doing, or knows much of anything about Guilds.

If you let us know your location, members here will quite possibly be able to recommend the best person to take it to in your area. It's also possible that we might know of a quality shop nearby that does consignments and advertises through Reverb, which could simplify the process for you. This site does have a "for sale" section, but you truly need to first get a qualified assessment of the instrument's overall condition in order to set a reasonable asking price.

Reaction score
Local Respected and Qualified Appraisers near Livonia, MI 48154

Cathy, your pics do show up with the provided link. It's a nice looking F-47, but there are many structural issues to be examined when considering the purchase of an older guitar, and they will impact it's value if there are problems.

This is potentially a nice vintage piece, so it would be well worth getting it to a respected & qualified luthier for an in-hand assessment. Honestly, Guitar Center is a total crapshoot. You may or may not get someone who knows what they're doing, or knows much of anything about Guilds.

If you let us know your location, members here will quite possibly be able to recommend the best person to take it to in your area. It's also possible that we might know of a quality shop nearby that does consignments and advertises through Reverb, which could simplify the process for you. This site does have a "for sale" section, but you truly need to first get a qualified assessment of the instrument's overall condition in order to set a reasonable asking price.

Again, thanks for your support and information. It would be great if anyone could recommend nearby consignments, or shops in the area. I too feel "Guitar Center" may not be in my best interest. Also have no idea how to go about cleaning. It also does not have a hard case, so not sure how to go about shipping...that is why I thought about "Guitar Center". I am in Livonia, Michigan 48154 area. Sincere, thanks!!!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Take a drive to Elderly in Lansing. They can check it out, clean it up and they do consignment sales.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for your support and information. It would be great if anyone could recommend nearby consignments, or shops in the area. I too feel "Guitar Center" may not be in my best interest. Also have no idea how to go about cleaning.
Most important issue is to be are that guitar has a NitroCellulose Lacquer ("NCL") finish; which is susceptible to damage from solvents like acetone, toluene and plasticizers which are present in various rubbers (to keep 'em soft), so don't store it on that stand, the rubber sleeves can react with the finish leaving gummy stripes where they touched the guitar.
It takes a while but now you know.
Second thing is cleaners: Depends on how bad it is.
Naptha (lighter fluid) dissolves most surface grime and won't damage NCL.
There's a brand of cleaner/polish, Virtuoso, which has a mild enough cleaner for NCL and a polish that also is compatible with it (no silicones, they can contaminate the wood if they get to it through cracks; so your typical furniture polish is out.
Do NOT use microfiber cloths, the plastic they're made of is harder than the NCL and will cause micro-scuffing. Plain white pure cotton t-shirt material's ideal.
Cleaning fretboard:
Again depends on how much "stuff" is built up, but I'm an advocate of simple water on a microfiber pad (it's ok on fretboards) and some elbow grease, it's least damaging to the bare wood.
Again. no polish with silicones on the fretboard but it and the bridge benefit from periodic (like maybe once annually at most) treatment with a conditioner like boiled linseed oil, or "bore oil" used on things like woodwind instruments.
Your pics show what look to be a guitar in pretty decent condition, what we like to see is a shot of the strings right over the 12th fret taken from the side, we're trying to get an ide how high the strings are from the fretboard at that point, called "action height". We hope it's about 6/64" or less.
That's going to vary according to height of bridge and saddle combined, we'd like to see about 1/2" +/- 32nd maybe, with saddle (the plastic part) about 3/8" tall at highest point.
Checking neck angle: lay about a 2-foot straightedge, (ruler) along the fretboard an extend it to the bridge. We'd like to see the end of the straightedge align with the top of the bridge (the wooden piece).
If it meets the bridge somewhere below its top edge it's an indication that the neck is being affected by the string tension, correcting it is the single most expensive potential repair.
It's a fact of life for most guitars, eventually they all need it and a very slight offset might not require the repair for a long time if at all.
A guitar like that F47 is has enough intrinsic value to be worth repairing.
"Bluegrass F47"? It was introduced when Guild had introduced a new line of flattops that were intended to appeal to bluegrass players.
The very first F47's even had horses and a shoe on the pickguards:
whfpuwtk1hka4zfk8hfy.jpg

I'm thinking if the finish is intact on your guitar in terms of no major missing chunks (it looks ok in pics) and the rest is structurally sound (thinking of braces inside the guitar all being intact and securely glued, and binding all still present and attached, and tuning machines in good order, and no other body cracks, you've probably got around a $900.00 piece.
A couple more details:
There's a rod inside the neck to adjust its flatness, it should be functional. (The nut is accessed under the little piece of plastic on the headstock, sometimes they can seize up).
Bridge should be securely attached to top with no appearance of "lifting" at the back (edge closest to bottom of guitar).
And finally, most likely on a guitar this old that may have been subjected to fluctuations in humidity, primarily not enough; cracks in the top, especially from the bridge to the bottom edge, close to the center, and next from the end of the fretboard to the edge of the soundhole.
While not catatstrophic and easily repairable, it's another detail Elderly will check for.
I'm not sure if there's any desirability for "last year", but it's possible.
Any F47's from '70-'73 should be similarly valued, I think, to help you assess the market as you did with those other listings.
There are also ways to check what instruments sold for on eBay, as opposed to what they listed for.
Final note is I can't recall ever hearing any negative feedback about Elderly, and I suspect they'll be a heck of a lot more reliable appraisal venue than a Guitar Center, unless you happened to luck out and get a really good person at GC that day.
so not sure how to go about shipping...that is why I thought about "Guitar Center". I am in Livonia, Michigan 48154 area. Sincere, thanks!!!
We value cases at around $100.00-$150.00.
Keep us posted on your progress, if it becomes relevant for shipping purposes I'm sure you'll get advice, in the worst "case" (sorry) finding a case to fit it isn't a big problem.
Other folks may point out details I've forgotten so keep checking back for a couple of days before heading out to Elderly.

Most likely requests will be for close-ups and more pics of specific spots, take 'em as indications of genuine interest in potential purchase.
Good luck!

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Elderly Instruments for sure - one of the best!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Hello Cathy, and welcome.

Pictures can only tell us so much, which is why getting your guitar assessed by someone qualified and reputable will get you the best information.

That said, expanding the side-view pics you sent show the string height at the 12th fret to be quite high -- high enough to make playing above the 7th fret difficult. This may be the result of the guitar being stored for a long period of time with the strings tuned to pitch, which can have the effect of pulling the neck forward and raising the action.

This problem can be fixed by having the neck reset, but this tends to be a somewhat pricey repair (+ / - $300.00) and will affect the guitar's resale value.

You can pay to have the repair done yourself and then sell the guitar, or you can adjust the price accordingly and let whoever buys it have it repaired.

Good luck watever you decide!

Glenn

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Based on pictures I have seen online of similar guitars, I would say good/fair condition. The prices on Ebay, Reverb seemed to range from 750 to into the thousands.

https://reverb.com/item/23143774-guild-f-47-1972-natural (this is 1972)

The first link shows an F-47 that was sold 18 months ago for $ 750.00 and the second link shows one that is offered right now in the U.K. for $2,641.24, but we're actually looking at the same guitar. I do not know if the current seller is the same person as the one who bought the guitar 18 moths ago, but if he or she is, he or she might make a bit on his or her investment; that is .......... if he or she sells it for that amount.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl