DeArmond 1000 vs. 1100

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing the Korean Kent Armstrong on my Epi HR with one of these new reissues. Instinct tells me the 1000 would be more prone to feedback because of its microphonic properties. Anybody have any experience with the two of them?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I'm no pup expert, only to say that I have all three DeArmond floating pickups: 1000 on a '66 Guild Artist Award, a FHC on a '47 Epi Broadway, and a new re-issue 1100 on my 63 Guild A-500. Of course, it depends on a lot of factors, such as the strings you're using and the also the amp and its settings. But, IMO all three providing a very pleasing result. The FHC, I believe, is no longer made, so you'd have to find a vintage one. In no instance do I find a difference in feedback performance.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, and my ears agreed with the assessment that there was little if any tonal difference. It doesn't address feedback tendencies, though.

Since he did find that the 1000 was more microphonic, it would be prone to feedback.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Since he did find that the 1000 was more microphonic, it would be prone to feedback.
That was my assumption, too, but a few responses on the Jazz Guitar list say they've not had a problem with it. I guess I'd only have to worry if I were to use it in a loud (i.e. rock) context, and that ain't gonna happen!

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Yes, and my ears agreed with the assessment that there was little if any tonal difference. It doesn't address feedback tendencies, though.

I hear a difference, at least in the that video. More high frequency 10k+ in the 1000. I like that, it helps to give definition to the attack.