Ngd guild jf 30 1991

General Dreedle

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger. It is in wonderful shape and I kept coming back to it. It's solid, and very balanced, not a lot of bass but I have a D28 for that. Very easy to play up and down the neck.

20190524_173234_zpseiqwkxz7.jpg

20190524_173229_zpsuq6qocsm.jpg

47927386226_3f52b89423_o_zpsk42zspv2.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
Looks lovely & appears to be in wonderful condition!

Surprised you say it's a bit lacking in bass - mine literally rumbles with a deep bass sound. You might try experimenting with strings. Also, if the saddle is still the original micarta, it may be worth trying bone or tusq. I installed a tusq saddle on mine.

Congrats & enjoy!

nielDa

Reaction score
Strings, and saddle and bridge pin materials make a difference. Bobouz, curious what strings you’re using, and (especially) if you also changed the bridge pins.

General Dreedle

Reaction score
Strings, and saddle and bridge pin materials make a difference. Bobouz, curious what strings you’re using, and (especially) if you also changed the bridge pins.

I think he recommended John Pearse nickel wound

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mmmmmmmaple! Now that is a whole lotta Guild goodness right there. Congratulations!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like a really nice example, Congrats! I agree with swapping the original Micarta Nut and saddle for bone as well as a nice set of Bone bridge pins. That along with the proper type and gauge of strings should bring that bass back to life as this old girl ought to be booming in that department. I believe the equivalent of the factory strings on this one would be Light gauge Daddario EJ-16 Phosphor bronze strings. If you like the coated versions the Daddario number is EXP-16. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come!

TX

Reaction score
There you go! Nice looking JF30.
I agree with you on the bass. It’s not lacking by any means but it doesn’t have mahogony or rosewood dread type bass.
That’s why I characterized it having a “big, sweet” sound. I was also surprised at what a lively bass I got out of using a thumbpick. I really do love the tone and volume I get out of mine. I think you will too. Enjoy that guitar!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely follow the experts advice!!

Just a suggestion to try if you find you don't like the daddario strings. On just about all of my Guild Jumbos including my Maple ones I run Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light HD's which are a 13-53 set. I do like the sound of the Dadaario's with a pick but I do mostly thumb strumming and fingerpicking without picks nowadays. The Elixir's increase the tone of the individual notes across the entire spectrum of the guitar while really bringing out the Bass and bottom end significantly at least to my ears anyway. Also they have a level of clarity to them that I can't really get with the Daddario's. The Bass is Huge and crystal clear without ever getting muddy resulting in that Grand Piano like tone.

Like I said, this is just my experience and others may vary but it is something to consider if you feel like experimenting a bit. Have a Good One!

TX

bobouz

Reaction score
Bobouz, curious what strings you’re using, and (especially) if you also changed the bridge pins.

I've been using D'Addario Extra Light Phospher Bronze strings on most of my acoustic guitars for many years, and the JF-30 does just fine with them. I play fingerstyle with a combination of nails & flesh, and with a fairly light touch - but I still want a punchy & percussive tone. Maple bodies tend to deliver that combo quite well. On a few of my guitars, I'll bump up the string gauge per string as needed to enhance the overall balance from string to string, but on the JF-30, it's just a plain old EJ-15 set. One of my smaller bodied guitars delivers it's best tone with heavier gauged 80-20s, so it's always worth experimenting.

The bridge pins are stock. I've never thought pins make much of a difference. What does make a difference is having each string properly seated - I check each string while installing with a automotive inspection mirror to assure it's lodged properly against the bridgeplate.

Much more important to the overall tone is the saddle material, and assuring the saddle has a snug & proper fit. If there's any slop in it's installation, the transfer of energy will be impacted negatively - and shims are not the best idea for the same reason.

Last edited:

General Dreedle

Reaction score
I can't wait to get it home, I have to wait to Wednesday under the law here in Washington State

General Dreedle

Reaction score
I went back yesterday to visit it since I had to wait, I thought there's a chance I'd have second thoughts and got swept up in the moment, NOPE!!! It still plays really easy, sounds great. Etc.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Different Guild but same feelings. Played a D55 October of 2017 and again in the summer of 2018 and it still sounded wonderful and played sooooo easily. Just waiting for his call-then play it again and one final inspection before it finds a home in Tennessee.
Hoping yours gives you many hours of enjoyment.

bobouz

Reaction score
I went back yesterday to visit it since I had to wait, I thought there's a chance I'd have second thoughts and got swept up in the moment, NOPE!!! It still plays really easy, sounds great. Etc.

Nice to get that confirmation after playing it again.

One more day, and it'll be home where it belongs!