Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to acoustic guitars, I have a bunch of Gibsons and have had some Martins and Taylors and such. Never owned a Guild, though.

That might change soon, I have my eye on a Tacoma era Richie Havens model D-40. I guess the most intriguing thing to me is that I think that era all used Adirondack on the tops, and so far all my stuff is sitka. I don't dislike the sitka, but I could stand a long scale mahogany dread and the Adirondack would be a plus.

First question I guess is, are these all Adirondack?

The thing I tend to be a little leery of is the narrower neck than I like, but I'm not totally against the 1 11/16" neck, either, but I do tend to prefer a 1.75" if I have my way. But I could make an exception, it's not a strong need.

Are these good guitars from a good era? I know a little Guild history but it can be a little hard to know exactly what is great and what isn't so great, although Guild has the reputation for being more or less strong at all eras which of course Gibson and Martin do not.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....although Guild has the reputation for being more or less strong at all eras....

Hey Larry, welcome to the boards. Yes, that's one of the first things I learned when I first joined up here - even though Guilds have been produced in numerous locations, they are all very consistently good.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions re the D-40. My knowledge is kind of limited to the jumbo F models and 12-strings, and even then I know but a pittance compared to most of these experts. Good luck on picking up that Richie Havens D-40!

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Hey Larry, welcome to the boards. Yes, that's one of the first things I learned when I first joined up here - even though Guilds have been produced in numerous locations, they are all very consistently good.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions re the D-40. My knowledge is kind of limited to the jumbo F models and 12-strings, and even then I know but a pittance compared to most of these experts. Good luck on picking up that Richie Havens D-40!

Thank you very much!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As long as you do the normal checks for string height, saddle height, and neck angle, and it all checks out, it should be a fine guitar. I can't remember, off hand, if all the Tacoma D-40s were Adi or not. Never fear, there are plenty here that DO know.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I may be wrong, but my recollection was that only the D-40s labeled "Blue grass special (or was it jubilee?)"" had Adirondack spruce tops, tho' the others might have had Adirondack spruce braces. But, I may be mixing that up with the New Hartford builds...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on a Tacoma era Richie Havens model D-40. I guess the most intriguing thing to me is that I think that era all used Adirondack on the tops, and so far all my stuff is sitka. I don't dislike the sitka, but I could stand a long scale mahogany dread and the Adirondack would be a plus.

First question I guess is, are these all Adirondack?

Hello Larry,

Welcome!

If you want a dreadnought with a red spruce top from Tacoma, you need to look for a D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee or a D-50 Bluegrass Special.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my humble opinion, Tacoma built some of the best Guilds ever. The ones I played at Elderly Instruments at the time were just killer.

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I'm starting to gather. Too bad, that'll probably keep me from being a more regular participant on here for a while, I'd prefer the Adirondack. I'll keep an eye out for the Jubilee.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but my recollection was that only the D-40s labeled "Blue grass special (or was it jubilee?)"" had Adirondack spruce tops, tho' the others might have had Adirondack spruce braces. But, I may be mixing that up with the New Hartford builds...
Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.
99.9% sure the D40RH is Sitka topped. 100% sure the Jubilee is.
Typo? I think you meant the Jubilee (from Tacoma) is adi ?
Thanks, that's what I'm starting to gather. Too bad, that'll probably keep me from being a more regular participant on here for a while, I'd prefer the Adirondack. I'll keep an eye out for the Jubilee.
YES, from Tacoma or New Hartford ONLY.
And yes all Richie Havens models are sitka topped, they wer introduced in Corona ('02-'04).
D40's were introduced in 1963 and were named "D40 Bluegrass Jubilee", but that was just because Guild likede to use names at the time.
The practice fell of by the late '70's and only numbers were used for many years.
Finally Tacoma brought back the use of the "Bluegrass" name for D40's and D50's with red spruce tops, but we've never seen any evidence that Guild used it before then and actually it's pretty unlikely because it wasn't readily available for quite a while after WWII anyway..
The thing to watch out for is uneducated or unscrupulous sellers passing off sitka-topped models as "Bluegrass Jubilees" because the adi tops carry a premium in desirability.
So, repeat, it might have been legitimately called a D40 "Bluegrass Jubilee" up through '75 or '76 I think it was, but it's NOT ADI unless it's a Tacoma or New Hartford build.
Example: I've seen a Corona D40 advertised as a "Bluegrass Jubilee" when in fact Corona never used the name.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I have a D-40 Richie, presently on loan to my son. A great guitar, every bit as good as a d-18 Martin. Tacoma built Guilds are as good as the rest.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but for the sake of me learning, what is this exactly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-D-40...245784?hash=item3b2efa99d8:g:JqAAAOSw3OhcqRcy

There is no serial number and seems like no way for someone like me to tell what exactly is it, or what factory it was made in, much less what kind of top it has.

From the shape of the pickguard and the open back tuners, I am thinking that D-40 is made in New Hartford... maybe an early one. Can't say whether or not it is Adirondack spruce, tho'...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great advice. This is more complicated than I had thought!

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but for the sake of me learning, what is this exactly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-D-40...245784?hash=item3b2efa99d8:g:JqAAAOSw3OhcqRcy

There is no serial number and seems like no way for someone like me to tell what exactly is it, or what factory it was made in, much less what kind of top it has.

Yup, New Hartford made D40 Bluegrass model with a Solid Adirondack Spruce top and Solid Real Mahogany back and sides (Not the African Mahogany they are using now). It also has Scalloped Adirondack Bracing, Tortoise shell binding and rosette, a solid Ebony wood Headstock Faceplate, and Real Mother of Pearl Chesterfield Headstock logo/ Dot fretboard markers. Other features are 1-11/16" Bone nut, Compensated bone saddle, Bone Bridge pins, East Indian Rosewood Bridge, East Indian Rosewood Fretboard (12" radius), Dovetail Neck joint, Nickel Gotoh open backed tuners, Dual Action Truss Rod, and a Gloss Nitro Cellulose Finish.

That is a great price on a whole lot of guitar. There are a lot of folks myself included that think these are better sounding/playing/quality guitars than a Martin D18 Golden Era which will cost you 3 times the price of this one. The soundhole label may have fallen off into the bottom of the guitar as that was the only thing that had the serial number on it. If it is not in the guitar itself there may be a signature with date on the soundhole brace underneath the top of the guitar which you can see with a small mirror or the serial number may be on the inspection card if the original paperwork comes in the case. Regardless with or with out the label this is an Awesome Guitar and you don't find them for sale too often anymore as folks are realizing just how wonderful they are.

Hope this info helps a bit!

TX

Last edited:

Larry Mal

Reaction score
And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.

Last edited:

bronzeback

Reaction score
Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.

The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top. And yes "African Mahogany". I certainly can't tell it apart from "Genuine Mahogany" but I can say my 2018 is a tone monster that I prefer to Adi topped versions I've had in the past.

Larry that D40 that TX referred you to looks like a great deal... Congrats!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
Welcome to LTG and congrats to your great new guitar! It's mainly details like type of tuners, built of the rosette, shape of the pickguard, probably shape of the neck heel and so on that pinpoint to production in the New Hartford factory. And yes, sometimes a date could be handwritten inside on the neck heel (less likely) or the top inside (more likely but not on all guitars). I am sure TX will add more specifics how he definitely pinpointed NH as factory.
Ralf