Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to acoustic guitars, I have a bunch of Gibsons and have had some Martins and Taylors and such. Never owned a Guild, though.

That might change soon, I have my eye on a Tacoma era Richie Havens model D-40. I guess the most intriguing thing to me is that I think that era all used Adirondack on the tops, and so far all my stuff is sitka. I don't dislike the sitka, but I could stand a long scale mahogany dread and the Adirondack would be a plus.

First question I guess is, are these all Adirondack?

The thing I tend to be a little leery of is the narrower neck than I like, but I'm not totally against the 1 11/16" neck, either, but I do tend to prefer a 1.75" if I have my way. But I could make an exception, it's not a strong need.

Are these good guitars from a good era? I know a little Guild history but it can be a little hard to know exactly what is great and what isn't so great, although Guild has the reputation for being more or less strong at all eras which of course Gibson and Martin do not.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    ....although Guild has the reputation for being more or less strong at all eras....
    Hey Larry, welcome to the boards. Yes, that's one of the first things I learned when I first joined up here - even though Guilds have been produced in numerous locations, they are all very consistently good.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions re the D-40. My knowledge is kind of limited to the jumbo F models and 12-strings, and even then I know but a pittance compared to most of these experts. Good luck on picking up that Richie Havens D-40!
    2018 Guild F512 Sunburst
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Hey Larry, welcome to the boards. Yes, that's one of the first things I learned when I first joined up here - even though Guilds have been produced in numerous locations, they are all very consistently good.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions re the D-40. My knowledge is kind of limited to the jumbo F models and 12-strings, and even then I know but a pittance compared to most of these experts. Good luck on picking up that Richie Havens D-40!
    Thank you very much!

As long as you do the normal checks for string height, saddle height, and neck angle, and it all checks out, it should be a fine guitar. I can't remember, off hand, if all the Tacoma D-40s were Adi or not. Never fear, there are plenty here that DO know.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

I may be wrong, but my recollection was that only the D-40s labeled "Blue grass special (or was it jubilee?)"" had Adirondack spruce tops, tho' the others might have had Adirondack spruce braces. But, I may be mixing that up with the New Hartford builds...
    Dave

'72 D-35 (Jan '73)
    '81 D-46NT (Oct '07)
    '94 DV-72NT (turquoise; Jan '16)
    '94 DV-72NT MK (malachite; Oct '14)
    '95 DV-73 NT HG (Aug '12)
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 D-44NT (2008-2015)
    '74 G-37Bld (2006-2015)
    '74 D-25M (2006-2015)
    '76 D-50NT (2009-2016)
    '78 D-35 (1986-2007)
    '92 D-55 (2007-2014)

All my Guilds, past and present (pics)...
    My Soundclick! page...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    I have my eye on a Tacoma era Richie Havens model D-40. I guess the most intriguing thing to me is that I think that era all used Adirondack on the tops, and so far all my stuff is sitka. I don't dislike the sitka, but I could stand a long scale mahogany dread and the Adirondack would be a plus.

First question I guess is, are these all Adirondack?
    Hello Larry,

Welcome!

If you want a dreadnought with a red spruce top from Tacoma, you need to look for a D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee or a D-50 Bluegrass Special.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

In my humble opinion, Tacoma built some of the best Guilds ever. The ones I played at Elderly Instruments at the time were just killer.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

99.9% sure the D40RH is Sitka topped. 100% sure the Jubilee is.
    '18 Guild D40 Traditional
    '92 Gallagher 72 Special

Thanks, that's what I'm starting to gather. Too bad, that'll probably keep me from being a more regular participant on here for a while, I'd prefer the Adirondack. I'll keep an eye out for the Jubilee.