Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

Quote Originally Posted by GardMan View Post
    I may be wrong, but my recollection was that only the D-40s labeled "Blue grass special (or was it jubilee?)"" had Adirondack spruce tops, tho' the others might have had Adirondack spruce braces. But, I may be mixing that up with the New Hartford builds...
    Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
    Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzeback View Post
    99.9% sure the D40RH is Sitka topped. 100% sure the Jubilee is.
    Typo? I think you meant the Jubilee (from Tacoma) is adi ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    Thanks, that's what I'm starting to gather. Too bad, that'll probably keep me from being a more regular participant on here for a while, I'd prefer the Adirondack. I'll keep an eye out for the Jubilee.
    YES, from Tacoma or New Hartford ONLY.
    And yes all Richie Havens models are sitka topped, they wer introduced in Corona ('02-'04).
    D40's were introduced in 1963 and were named "D40 Bluegrass Jubilee", but that was just because Guild likede to use names at the time.
    The practice fell of by the late '70's and only numbers were used for many years.
    Finally Tacoma brought back the use of the "Bluegrass" name for D40's and D50's with red spruce tops, but we've never seen any evidence that Guild used it before then and actually it's pretty unlikely because it wasn't readily available for quite a while after WWII anyway..
    The thing to watch out for is uneducated or unscrupulous sellers passing off sitka-topped models as "Bluegrass Jubilees" because the adi tops carry a premium in desirability.
    So, repeat, it might have been legitimately called a D40 "Bluegrass Jubilee" up through '75 or '76 I think it was, but it's NOT ADI unless it's a Tacoma or New Hartford build.
    Example: I've seen a Corona D40 advertised as a "Bluegrass Jubilee" when in fact Corona never used the name.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Great advice. This is more complicated than I had thought!

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but for the sake of me learning, what is this exactly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-D-40-...AAAOSw3OhcqRcy

There is no serial number and seems like no way for someone like me to tell what exactly is it, or what factory it was made in, much less what kind of top it has.

I have a D-40 Richie, presently on loan to my son. A great guitar, every bit as good as a d-18 Martin. Tacoma built Guilds are as good as the rest.
    That's the way that the world goes 'round.You're up one day and the next you're down.
    It's half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown.That's the way that the world goes 'round.
    - John Prine

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but for the sake of me learning, what is this exactly?

There is no serial number and seems like no way for someone like me to tell what exactly is it, or what factory it was made in, much less what kind of top it has.
    From the shape of the pickguard and the open back tuners, I am thinking that D-40 is made in New Hartford... maybe an early one. Can't say whether or not it is Adirondack spruce, tho'...
    Dave

'72 D-35 (Jan '73)
    '81 D-46NT (Oct '07)
    '94 DV-72NT (turquoise; Jan '16)
    '94 DV-72NT MK (malachite; Oct '14)
    '95 DV-73 NT HG (Aug '12)
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 D-44NT (2008-2015)
    '74 G-37Bld (2006-2015)
    '74 D-25M (2006-2015)
    '76 D-50NT (2009-2016)
    '78 D-35 (1986-2007)
    '92 D-55 (2007-2014)

All my Guilds, past and present (pics)...
    My Soundclick! page...

Great advice. This is more complicated than I had thought!

Yup, New Hartford made D40 Bluegrass model with a Solid Adirondack Spruce top and Solid Real Mahogany back and sides (Not the African Mahogany they are using now). It also has Scalloped Adirondack Bracing, Tortoise shell binding and rosette, a solid Ebony wood Headstock Faceplate, and Real Mother of Pearl Chesterfield Headstock logo/ Dot fretboard markers. Other features are 1-11/16" Bone nut, Compensated bone saddle, Bone Bridge pins, East Indian Rosewood Bridge, East Indian Rosewood Fretboard (12" radius), Dovetail Neck joint, Nickel Gotoh open backed tuners, Dual Action Truss Rod, and a Gloss Nitro Cellulose Finish.

That is a great price on a whole lot of guitar. There are a lot of folks myself included that think these are better sounding/playing/quality guitars than a Martin D18 Golden Era which will cost you 3 times the price of this one. The soundhole label may have fallen off into the bottom of the guitar as that was the only thing that had the serial number on it. If it is not in the guitar itself there may be a signature with date on the soundhole brace underneath the top of the guitar which you can see with a small mirror or the serial number may be on the inspection card if the original paperwork comes in the case. Regardless with or with out the label this is an Awesome Guitar and you don't find them for sale too often anymore as folks are realizing just how wonderful they are.

Hope this info helps a bit!

TX
    Last edited by txbumper57; 06-11-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

It helps! I bought it.

And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
    Last edited by Larry Mal; 06-12-2019 at 02:32 AM.

It helps! I bought it.
    Haha! TX has that effect! Two of my Guilds are the direct result of TX tips, and I am forever grateful!

Major congrats, Larry! You got a good one!
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    1991 Guild JF30-12 Ltd. Ed. Wood Grain Blue
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
    Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.
    The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top. And yes "African Mahogany". I certainly can't tell it apart from "Genuine Mahogany" but I can say my 2018 is a tone monster that I prefer to Adi topped versions I've had in the past.

Larry that D40 that TX referred you to looks like a great deal... Congrats!
    '18 Guild D40
    '01 Tacoma DM9

And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
    Welcome to LTG and congrats to your great new guitar! It's mainly details like type of tuners, built of the rosette, shape of the pickguard, probably shape of the neck heel and so on that pinpoint to production in the New Hartford factory. And yes, sometimes a date could be handwritten inside on the neck heel (less likely) or the top inside (more likely but not on all guitars). I am sure TX will add more specifics how he definitely pinpointed NH as factory.
    Ralf