D-55 Noir

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I came across something new to me today. I was at Music Villa in Bozeman, MT, and I spotted a new black D-55. It had a black and gold logo inside and it was called a D-55 Noir. It was some type of special edition. I am kicking myself because I walked out without even thinking of taking a picture. I came at the tail end of their anniversary weekend. The Guild rep was there along with Doyle Dykes, so I assume that it was something brought along for the special occasion. If I wasn't 90 miles from the store, I would have run back and snapped a picture. Anyone heard of this?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have not but I'll bet this is just really sweet. Yeah, I know it's hard to keep a gloss black guitar clean and print free but they are just so damned classy looking (at least I think so)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That sounds really cool, Guild made a GSR D40 Noir in New Hartford that had abalone around the top binding and was solid black. Engelmann Spruce top on that one if I remember correctly. I don't remember his name right off the top of my head but one of the guys from Def Leppard had one he really loved. Supposedly only made 20 of them. There should be videos of him with it on youtube.

Edit: I found some pics of a GSR D40 Noir that was listed used on Reverb several years ago. If they have done this to a D55 it ought to be Gorgeous!

umtq53iwba2ffb02z8e6.jpg
dswxpqr7min3zid9rgil.jpg
powjyccxqit1tssdqot2.jpg
blmrz8emainzllyxdlor.jpg
qjl9yygxhlsnzqilolny.jpg
fxsehakktnsrtsux4y7b.jpg

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's it Ralf!

Hey Okie, Did the D55-Noir have the abalone inlays around the top binding like the pic of the D40 Noir? or was it just a D55 that was finished in black? It is still cool if it didn't have the top binding inlays but when compared to the New Hartford D40 Model it really doesn't scream "Limited Edition" as much as it screams "Messed up a Burst top finish on a D55 and painted it Black to be able to sell it. Heck Let's give it a special label and call it a Special Edition, LOL!" That was one of the main attractions of the GSR New Hartford series to me, The attention to craftsmanship and all the small details. They all just oozed Class and quality when you picked one up in hand.

TX

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
as much as it screams "Messed up a Burst top finish on a D55 and painted it Black to be able to sell it.
I vote for a special built for Music Villa. Same like they did with the D-40T DELUXE for Sweetwater recently.

Ralf

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It looks to have an enlarged sound hole too, or is that just an illusion because it's black. My D18 David Crosby Signature also has one, and on that guitar at least, it works very well!

bobouz

Reaction score
It looks to have an enlarged sound hole too, or is that just an illusion because it's black.

It probably just looks larger because it's black - and because there's no pickguard, so you see all of the rosette.

Personally, on a black guitar (as well as some sunbursts), I prefer the no pickguard, full rosette look.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I found some pics of a GSR D40 Noir that was listed used on Reverb several years ago. If they have done this to a D55 it ought to be Gorgeous!

That guitar is beautiful! I really like the pearl/abalone inlay for the purfling and rosette. It stands out against the black gloss finish.